VDB value for Rapid Rewards Ticket?

Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
VDB value for Rapid Rewards Ticket?

Back before the media attacked the airlines for overbooking, WN had a nice published policy on how they handle overbooking.

Last night, I was the lucky recipient of an aircraft downguage...which left my flight overbooked by 24 passengers. VDB's are quite the unicorn on WN these days and I can't find much written about current policy.

Everyone agreed to $600 + refund of their one-way fare. I said I was on a RR ticket and the gate agent promised some sort of prorated dollar amount for my points. After being booted off my flight, I noticed I only got the $600 vs the $600 + cash fare that everyone else got. The gate agent said, after the fact and contrary to our conservation, that the policy was RR tickets don't get any extra compensation and sent me on my way. Is there any published policy stating this? Does anyone else have any anecdotal stories to share about VDB's on RR tickets in 2018?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Did you get your points back?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
So, people that paid got $600 plus the cost of the ticket, plus a late flight?
and
You got $600, nothing for miles, and a late flight?

Please clarify what they got.

(we assume you have checked your point balance)
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
So, people that paid got $600 plus the cost of the ticket, plus a late flight?
and
You got $600, nothing for miles, and a late flight?

Please clarify what they got.

(we assume you have checked your point balance)
Yes, that is correct. No points have been added to my balance (nor was I ever led to believe that would happen). I was told I would get $600 + some unspecified $$ value for my points. I only got $600. Meanwhile, everyone else on the flight got $600 + fare (i.e vouchers for over $1000 that I saw being handed out and being discussed with my neighbors at the podium). Gate agent simply told me, once again, after the fact, that I would be getting nothing for the value of my RR ticket because that was "policy".
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
I would be very surprised to get a voucher representing some sort of cash value for your points. If cash customers got a voucher for $600, a voucher for their cash fare, and a seat on a later flight, then you ahould have, in my opinion, been offered $600, a refund of your points, and fare on a later flight.

I doubt the gate agent had authority to offer a voucher of cash representative of your points. If so, it’s unfortunate that you were under time pressure to accept that offer. I would reach out to someone at customer service, explain the situation, and calmly request a refund of your points.
pgh234 and lowmiles like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:29 pm

This is regulated and reviewed for accuracy by the Finance department (incorrect too-low payments are corrected), but to speed the process, you should contact Customer Relations. Use the contact us web form and mark it a complaint, call the number listed in other contact numbers online, or go through the social care team to reach them.
pgh234 and lowmiles like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:37 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by pgh234
Back before the media attacked the airlines for overbooking, WN had a nice published policy on how they handle overbooking.

Last night, I was the lucky recipient of an aircraft downguage...which left my flight overbooked by 24 passengers. VDB's are quite the unicorn on WN these days and I can't find much written about current policy.

Everyone agreed to $600 + refund of their one-way fare. I said I was on a RR ticket and the gate agent promised some sort of prorated dollar amount for my points. After being booted off my flight, I noticed I only got the $600 vs the $600 + cash fare that everyone else got. The gate agent said, after the fact and contrary to our conservation, that the policy was RR tickets don't get any extra compensation and sent me on my way. Is there any published policy stating this? Does anyone else have any anecdotal stories to share about VDB's on RR tickets in 2018?
I believe you should have received credit for the cash equivalent fare of your points booking. I'm pretty sure I received that on a VDB several years ago.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:04 am

I can't remember if this was on points or when it was still vouchers, but I believe I got something like $250. They also offered the same to my companion. Again, can't remember specifics, but I'm sure they offered a dollar amount for the "fare" the companion paid even though it was essentially zero.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As this is VDB, it is whatever you negotiate. The problem here is that OP accepted a VDB without a specific commitment from the GA. If there had been a specific commitment from the GA and he relied on that to offload, DOT would enforce that as an IDB which would result in compensation of 400% of the lowest cash fare paid by any passenger on that flight, to a maximum of $1,350 (presuming that the timing requirements of the rule are met).

I would preempt the discussion and call in.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1

I would preempt the discussion and call in.
Call-ins are usually more successful when you know the rules you are arguing for or against. Pre-Dao WN had published rules for VDB's based on delay length, etc. These rules do not seem to exist anymore that I could find. They applied to everyone for every VDB. I was seeing if they had similar rules today. My negotiated VDB compensation included being reimbursed for a dollar amount for my miles which I assumed was more than $0.0 per mile.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:43 pm

I did a VDB recently, MDW-SJC, that became MDW-SFO. Anyway, I got $400 plus $113, which was the calculated value of the RR points. That seems about right as the cash value of the ticket when I purchased it with points was $129.
pgh234 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by pgh234
I was on a RR ticket and the gate agent promised some sort of prorated dollar amount for my points.
WN should be able to calculate the exact dollar value of the RR points that were applied to the award ticket. I would use that amount in a request to Customer Relations for an appropriately valued voucher.
pgh234 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Here is a relevant prior discussion: Voluntarily Denied Boarding (VDB) aka a "Bump" Compensation on WN RR 2.0 Points Tix
pgh234 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:17 pm

First rung on the VDB chart for accommodated outside of two hours or not confirmed at time of offer is $600 SLV + SLV for one way fare (including taxes and fees). Your points PNR has a value listed within the redemption transaction in your account. This info is available to Customer Relations, but I don’t think it shows to the Customer. It’s also listed as roundtrip if purchased that way, so there might be some calculating needed for a one way. Also, what the others who volunteered got will be in the denied boarding tool Customer Relations has access to.

As for companion/zero-fare tickets, there is a resource (that could be outdated) that says the one way fare will be compensated based on the lowest commercial fare paid for the same segment.

TL/DR: you are due the value of your one way fare plus the $600
pgh234 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Panther02
First rung on the VDB chart for accommodated outside of two hours or not confirmed at time of offer is $600 SLV + SLV for one way fare (including taxes and fees). Your points PNR has a value listed within the redemption transaction in your account. This info is available to Customer Relations, but I don’t think it shows to the Customer. It’s also listed as roundtrip if purchased that way, so there might be some calculating needed for a one way. Also, what the others who volunteered got will be in the denied boarding tool Customer Relations has access to.

As for companion/zero-fare tickets, there is a resource (that could be outdated) that says the one way fare will be compensated based on the lowest commercial fare paid for the same segment.

TL/DR: you are due the value of your one way fare plus the $600
Thanks for the confirmation of the policy. I reached out to customer service with that knowledge and will post back with an outcome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.