Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Challenge Match Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
WN Challenge Match Restrictions

I received a targeted promo in April for A list. I hit the requirements and have enjoyed A list for the rest of the year. Problem is I didn’t start flying them much until April and I will likely end at either 21 or 23 one way trips.
Will southwest allow me to do a match challenge in January matching United even if I had the targeted promo this year?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:56 am

Likely not. If you are close in points they may allow you to purchase points. If you are at 23 flights your best bet is to figure out a way to do quick cheap out and back before the end of the year.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
So are the challenges limited to one every so many years regardless of whether they were status match or just a promo?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by stallion114
So are the challenges limited to one every so many years regardless of whether they were status match or just a promo?
No idea what the back room folks at WN will decide.

But in general, companies that do status matches tend to view them as a one time thing. The goal is to get someone to give them a shot and then to STAY as a valued customer.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
My husband and I have each done 2 challenges/matches in the last 3 years. But YMMV. If I were you I'd fly the quickest cheapest flights to keep A-list. It sounds like you fly SW enough to make it worth it. One $78 round trip could save you hundreds of dollars in Earlybird fees - and with a better boarding position.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
FWIW I did a challenge at the end of last year and kept A-List for all of this year. Last week I received a very similar email to the one I received a year ago with the same offer. The fine print seems to be the same as what's listed here:

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapid...tus_match.html

The one exclusion I can find is: "Current A-List Members whose status is expiring are not eligible for the promotion."

So I don't think a person would be barred from enrolling simply because you have done a challenge in the past. However if you are a current A-Lister, then you can't do it.

The next obvious thought would be "well I'll just wait until it expires and then sign up for another challenge" but the fine print also says: "Enrollment in the promotion must take place before December 31, 2018"

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
But in general, companies that do status matches tend to view them as a one time thing. The goal is to get someone to give them a shot and then to STAY as a valued customer.
Pretty much, and I don't have a problem with them doing that. But at least as currently written, it does seem like if they ran this again in 2019 some time that one could do it again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.