Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using LUV Vouchers to Cover Taxes?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Using LUV Vouchers to Cover Taxes?

Hello. I recently received over $1000 in LUV vouchers for a voluntary denied boarding (two of us, $400 each plus value of ticket). I went to use them today for a couple of roundtrip flights we have planned in 2019, but found that they don't cover the taxes. All of sudden, we go from two free trips to two trips with $160 out of pocket in taxes AND leftover voucher funds. Tiny violins, I know.

I have read that it is theoretically possible to convert the LUV vouchers to ticketless travel funds (which cover taxes) in the following manner. First, book a ticket slightly over the voucher value and make up the difference on a credit card. Then, within 24 hours, cancel the ticket, thereby refunding the overage to the card and the rest should be a ticketless travel fund.

Is that really something that works, or would I just get a new voucher? Any chance this operation could go haywire/Southwest could catch me and invalidate the vouchers? Has anybody had experience with this trick? Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:46 am

Definitely go for it.

​​​All you're risking is voucher invalidation.

Southwest LUV Vouchers are not redeemable as payment toward Government-imposed segment fees, excise taxes, Passenger Facility Charges, or September 11th Security Fees or as payment toward miscellaneous charges, Southwest Airlines Group tickets, Southwest Airlines Vacations packages, or travel either wholly or in part on other air carriers.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:29 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Lightbulb

Better way is to book the cheapest flight you can find that (before taxes) is more than the taxes on the desired itinerary. Cancel the dummy booking within 24 hours, with taxes on the dummy booking refunded to credit card. With this approach you keep the greatest possible amount of funds as transferable voucher instead of as name-locked TTF.
nsx and ursine1 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:49 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
No risk of invalidation. This is a legitimate use of a voucher. Follow ftnoob’s advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.