Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Violinist refuses to check $80k instrument, gets delayed, misses engagements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Violinist refuses to check $80k instrument, gets delayed, misses engagements

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This thread has jumped so many sharks...multiple species of sharks and probably an orca or two at this point.

We Flyertalkers are very unforgiving of anyone who does not know airline processes like we do. This is definitely true on this forum, but also true on most of the other airline forums. Our collective response is that we know how to avoid situations like this, so the person from the OP should have known too and screw him and whatever happens to him as a direct result of not knowing.

It's possible (although we don't really know) that the musician rolled up with a super-entitled, snotty attitude and that immediately soured the response of the airline employees and passengers around him. It's equally possible that other people around him who could have done something simple like move a bag, or check one that had nothing valuable in it, were thinking "I'm A-list, he's not, so f him." We just don't know, but I do know that *we* can be a pretty damned entitled bunch, as evidenced by the thousands of whiny threads all over Flyertalk about how much compensation we deserve when some tiny aspect of one of our hotel/airline/car statuses doesn't work exactly as promised.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
This thread has jumped so many sharks...multiple species of sharks and probably an orca or two at this point.

We Flyertalkers are very unforgiving of anyone who does not know airline processes like we do. This is definitely true on this forum, but also true on most of the other airline forums. Our collective response is that we know how to avoid situations like this, so the person from the OP should have known too and screw him and whatever happens to him as a direct result of not knowing.

It's possible (although we don't really know) that the musician rolled up with a super-entitled, snotty attitude and that immediately soured the response of the airline employees and passengers around him. It's equally possible that other people around him who could have done something simple like move a bag, or check one that had nothing valuable in it, were thinking "I'm A-list, he's not, so f him." We just don't know, but I do know that *we* can be a pretty damned entitled bunch, as evidenced by the thousands of whiny threads all over Flyertalk about how much compensation we deserve when some tiny aspect of one of our hotel/airline/car statuses doesn't work exactly as promised.
I am not A-List... wish I was!!!! Also keep in mind... didn't the story say he flew southwest regularly?! If that is the case, then he should know how its done by now.... Also... when your dealing with anything of high value... shouldn't you spend time researching things? Ignorance is never really a good reason/excuse....
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by ilcannone
I give up. The stuck up, snobbish mentality on this forum is just impossible.
Oh hell no, o no you dit-ten just go there!

Two years ago I schlepped a $15K engagement ring back & forth across the country while hiding it from the women I was traveling with.

Best believe I did not leave it up to chance how TSA, Southwest & Marriott would secure it during the travels every single step of the way.

Last edited by joshua362; Nov 16, 2018 at 8:10 am
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:27 am

The thread title, "Violinist refuses to check $80K instrument...." wittingly assigns blame.

The feds advise that violins NOT be checked.

"This rule requires that carriers must allow a passenger to carry into the cabin and stow a small musical instrument, such as violin or guitar, in a suitable baggage compartment, such as the overhead bin or under the seats in accordance with FAA - approved carry-on baggage program."
He did nothing wrong asking that the bins be re-arranged a bit. Workarounds and courtesies are extended every day.

If he "expected" it, he was a damn fool.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jep8821
I am not A-List... wish I was!!!! Also keep in mind... didn't the story say he flew southwest regularly?! If that is the case, then he should know how its done by now.... Also... when your dealing with anything of high value... shouldn't you spend time researching things? Ignorance is never really a good reason/excuse....
He says he's flown Southwest "many times" and references the FAA, suggesting he may actually aware of the rule that says the carrier must accommodate the instrument onboard.

"Many times" in the non-Flyertalk world could simply means "a few flights a year over the course of several years." It's possible that he did the research and determined that WN is the best way to travel, which would make sense if he does not travel quite enough to hit elite status on any one airline. (WN is usually the least-bad for non-elite travel.)
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:05 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
[personal insult deleted by moderation team]

It's not about expecting him to know airline processes and rules inside and out. It's about protectively developing a plan A *and* a plan B for an $80k instrument at some point well in advance of getting on the plane.

Originally Posted by LegalTender
The thread title, "Violinist refuses to check $80K instrument...." wittingly assigns blame.
Agreed. It should have been written more neutrally.

The feds advise that violins NOT be checked.
I found this, is there another reference?

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...travel-musical

"Carriers must allow passengers to stow their small musical instruments in an approved stowage area in the cabin if at the time the passenger boards the aircraft such stowage space is available. Under the rule, musical instruments as carry-on items are treated no differently from other carry-on items and the stowage space should be made available for all carry-on items on a “first come, first served” basis. Carriers are not required to give musical instruments priority over other carry-on baggage, therefore passengers traveling with musical instruments may want to buy the pre-boarding option offered by many carriers to ensure that space will be available for them to safely stow their instruments in the cabin."

He did nothing wrong asking that the bins be re-arranged a bit. Workarounds and courtesies are extended every day.
I agree with this too! And I am disappointed if the FAs and other pax wouldn't help. But this should be at best plan C.

Last edited by ftnoob; Nov 18, 2018 at 11:25 am
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:23 am

He says he's flown Southwest "many times" and references the FAA, suggesting he may actually aware of the rule that says the carrier must accommodate the instrument onboard.

"Many times" in the non-Flyertalk world could simply means "a few flights a year over the course of several years." It's possible that he did the research and determined that WN is the best way to travel, which would make sense if he does not travel quite enough to hit elite status on any one airline. (WN is usually the least-bad for non-elite travel.)
LOL... The first part actually describes me! I fly up to 4 (round trips) a year is all. All via southwest miles/points via Chase credit cards. But to your point... again its his job to understand that the FAA rules are based on availability of space which isn't a sure thing by any means and it doesn't require the airlines to make space available by requiring others to move or check their bags instead of the musician. I go back to my statement that ignorance isn't a valid excuse. My biggest grip really isn't with the original article or the guy himself in a lot of ways. Now that he knows and should understand how things actually work .... My grip is more the posts trying to make musicians out to be victims and can't afford anything.... Those kinds of posts do a disservice to everyone. Its basically tries to de-value everyone else. I say everyone is treated as equally as possible. If musicians, or anyone wants to ensure they have the best possible chance of getting overhead bin space.. then its on them to take the necessary steps to accomplish that. Playing the victim card isn't acceptable because then you start having to assign values to each person... Do you rank a single mom with 3 kids that can't afford much higher than a musician or lower..... What about a minor league baseball player when compared to a musician... what about a bowler, etc....
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
Won't respond to prima donnas anymore but others seem reasonable-minded...

It's not about expecting him to know airline processes and rules inside and out. It's about protectively developing a plan A *and* a plan B for an $80k instrument at some point well in advance of getting on the plane.

Agreed. It should have been written more neutrally.

I found this, is there another reference?

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...travel-musical

"Carriers must allow passengers to stow their small musical instruments in an approved stowage area in the cabin if at the time the passenger boards the aircraft such stowage space is available. Under the rule, musical instruments as carry-on items are treated no differently from other carry-on items and the stowage space should be made available for all carry-on items on a “first come, first served” basis. Carriers are not required to give musical instruments priority over other carry-on baggage, therefore passengers traveling with musical instruments may want to buy the pre-boarding option offered by many carriers to ensure that space will be available for them to safely stow their instruments in the cabin."

I agree with this too! And I am disappointed if the FAs and other pax wouldn't help. But this should be at best plan C.
I want to first say that in some ways... I actually kinda agree with you... but... we may not have all of the info... let me throw this example out there... If he was late boarding... like all other passengers had boarded, taken there seats, luggage bins closed. Basically, the flight was ready to go but they waited for him to show up to the gate and board... would you feel the same way about the FA's and other PAX not helping? I wouldn't.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:06 am

I give up. The stuck up, snobbish mentality on this forum is just impossible.
I the the musician lobby is the snobbish one attempting to secure special privileges on the basis of artistic merit..
joshua362 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:10 am

The DOT enforcement FAQ covers airlines' ignoring the impetus of the rule:

"Where there is evidence of timely, good-faith efforts, we have no plans to take enforcement action."
Alleging bad faith - an unwillingness to accommodate - is hard to prove.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:00 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jep8821
I want to first say that in some ways... I actually kinda agree with you... but... we may not have all of the info... let me throw this example out there... If he was late boarding... like all other passengers had boarded, taken there seats, luggage bins closed. Basically, the flight was ready to go but they waited for him to show up to the gate and board... would you feel the same way about the FA's and other PAX not helping? I wouldn't.
Still slightly, yes. In your scenario do we know the whole story? Maybe his inbound connection arrived late, maybe he left a completely reasonable and buffered time to get to the airport but had a breakdown/flat/public transit issue.

If it can be done without jeopardizing a timely departure, sure, usually the overheads aren't perfectly packed and you can play baggage Tetris. I wish FAs would be more proactive here (some are but not universally), many people shove their bags in sideways that would fit wheels-first.

I wouldn't give up my seat, but if I weren't in a hurry at the other end I might even gate check a bag to help someone out here. But I certainly don't think anyone's obligated to do so.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Wow, you lot are something else. Always wanting to blame someone else. Absolutely incredible. Too many of you have got WAY too jumped up over this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:24 am

Wow, you lot are something else. Always wanting to blame someone else. Absolutely incredible. Too many of you have got WAY too jumped up over this.
Nobody is blaming anyone. The guy didn't make adequate arrangements and got an unfortunate result.
jep8821 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:45 am

DOT calls for "timely, good-faith efforts" to stow the violin case.

Seriously doubt that happened. They don't craft 3-thousand word advisories on small musical instruments for the carriers' convenience.

But I agree, he should have paid for EBCI.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by joshua362
Two years ago I schlepped a $15K engagement ring back & forth across the country while hiding it from the womEn I was traveling with.
Much as I figured this is a typo (or one of 'em's the mother/sister) I can't help but go all "Damn, that's pimp!" in my head
joshua362 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.