Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Violinist refuses to check $80k instrument, gets delayed, misses engagements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Violinist refuses to check $80k instrument, gets delayed, misses engagements

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Pretty sure this person would rather keep his instrument and not get some insurance paid replacement. Just a guess.
Obviously. Given that, isn't it worth taking some "insurance" in the form of buying an earlier boarding position, (granted, may not help if you have a tight connection) or an extra seat?

(For the record I also feel like they should have been more accomodating on board, and that the response from WN that was posted here seems tepid.)
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
FWIW, long time FT member InkUnderNails travels for work with a very expensive and difficult to replace set of tools which he must check as baggage. If they lose the baggage he loses income for the time needed to replace the tools, plus the cost of the trip and the replacement cost of the tools. Yet there's no better option for getting to work.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Zorak
Obviously. Given that, isn't it worth taking some "insurance" in the form of buying an earlier boarding position, (granted, may not help if you have a tight connection) or an extra seat?

(For the record I also feel like they should have been more accomodating on board, and that the response from WN that was posted here seems tepid.)
Yes, I agree that insurance in the form of a better boarding would not only be a great idea, but almost a requirement. (Insurance for the instrument itself is a different topic)

I also tend to agree the WN staff could have found a way to make it work, but apparently opted to play by the book, or have a power trip. AND - any response really is meaningless in this day and age - it will always be the SAFE wording.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by nsx
FWIW, long time FT member InkUnderNails travels for work with a very expensive and difficult to replace set of tools which he must check as baggage. If they lose the baggage he loses income for the time needed to replace the tools, plus the cost of the trip and the replacement cost of the tools. Yet there's no better option for getting to work.
Difficult to replace rather than one-of-a-kind then, and most likely not instruments that are extremely likely to be able to cause harm. I have major doubts (although it isn't impossible) about musicians ever using their instruments to cause damage. Well, classical musicians at least...

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Insurance kicks in when you have a loss.

Pretty sure this person would rather keep his instrument and not get some insurance paid replacement. Just a guess.
I'm 100% with you on this one.

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
TIL a bassoon costs far more than I'd've expected.

(... are oboes really "trebleoons"? Where are the mezzoons?)
It wasn't even a top of the range model either. Those ones will be double that, if not more. And all this is not even factoring in customisation.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:28 am
glg

Originally Posted by ilcannone
A huge number of instruments made by the famous 17th century Cremona luthiers e.g. Stradivarius, Amati, etc, are owned by foundations who loan them to professionals for X period of time if they aren't already owned by a private individual (who can still do the same thing) or museum (which the Palazzo Doria Tursi does once in a while with Paganini's prized 'Il Cannone')
I want to re-highlight something ilcannone posted earlier since a number of posters seem to have a rather simple attitude of "if you can afford an $80k instrument you can afford BS" or "should fly first class and buy a seat for the instrument" or whatever. While the number of these very expensive instruments is not large, it is still larger than the number of classical musicians who are famous enough and make enough money to easily afford expensive plane tickets (ie few of them are Yo-Yo Ma). A good portion of the people who possess these instruments can't afford them. They're like this guy, stringing together a performance and some teaching and other things to make a living for their art.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:41 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by glg
I want to re-highlight something ilcannone posted earlier since a number of posters seem to have a rather simple attitude of "if you can afford an $80k instrument you can afford BS" or "should fly first class and buy a seat for the instrument" or whatever. While the number of these very expensive instruments is not large, it is still larger than the number of classical musicians who are famous enough and make enough money to easily afford expensive plane tickets (ie few of them are Yo-Yo Ma). A good portion of the people who possess these instruments can't afford them. They're like this guy, stringing together a performance and some teaching and other things to make a living for their art.
Do they require such an instrument to make their living?

I'm sympathetic, but at the same time for example I wouldn't own an ultra-high-end car that I couldn't afford to safeguard properly.

EDIT: I mean I get that, through circumstance, you may be forced into a situation where you have to rely on others to be accomodating, and as I said above I think WN failed in that regard here. But I'd do my best to avoid needing to rely on this as much as possible, is all I'm saying.

Last edited by Zorak; Nov 11, 2018 at 9:50 am
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zorak
Do they require such an instrument to make their living?

I'm sympathetic, but at the same time for example I wouldn't own an ultra-high-end car that I couldn't afford to safeguard properly.

EDIT: I mean I get that, through circumstance, you may be forced into a situation where you have to rely on others to be accomodating, and as I said above I think WN failed in that regard here. But I'd do my best to avoid needing to rely on this as much as possible, is all I'm saying.
When they want to be the best musician they can be/become, they need an instrument that's the best they can get. At the top levels, you don't become really good if you perform on a junk instrument (that would be perfectly fine for the typical music student or community orchestra member).
kennycrudup, Twickenham and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think the key difference here is large-instrument musician vs. small-instrument musician.

The large-instrument musician knows that travel with this bulky-and-valuable object is a pain, and also probably knows all the ins and outs of various airline procedures for traveling with the instrument. They know which carriers are easy to deal with, which ones make it easier to buy two seats together, which ban instruments from being members of the loyalty program, which handle IRROPS better than others, etc.

The small-instrument musician just assumes that if everybody isn't a complete jerk during their travels, things will work out fine. (You literally just need one non-jerk somewhere and things will be okay.) I guess the lesson is that you can't count on that in America in 2018.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by pinniped
I think the key difference here is large-instrument musician vs. small-instrument musician.

The small-instrument musician just assumes that if everybody isn't a complete jerk during their travels, things will work out fine. (You literally just need one non-jerk somewhere and things will be okay.) I guess the lesson is that you can't count on that in America in 2018.
This.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Yes, but this easily could have gone the other way too. Small-instrument musician boards last, seconds from push back, is told no space is left and is told he has to check. Suddenly he's carrying the Hope Diamond and refuses and is made to decide whether to check or get off. A fuss is made. Is a lap belt really going to secure a small instrument? Should they poll the passengers and see who is willing to give up their bin space under the pressure of getting the first flight of the day off?

Again, I don't think the entire story has been told to us.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362
Yes, but this easily could have gone the other way too. Small-instrument musician boards last, seconds from push back, is told no space is left and is told he has to check. Suddenly he's carrying the Hope Diamond and refuses and is made to decide whether to check or get off. A fuss is made. Is a lap belt really going to secure a small instrument? Should they poll the passengers and see who is willing to give up their bin space under the pressure of getting the first flight of the day off?

Again, I don't think the entire story has been told to us.
I would give up my bin space for someone's valuable violin, but I would not give up my seat for it unless the airline happened to offer me whatever my personal VDB threshold was at that moment in time. If the instrument really requires its own seat, then yeah...that's on him and he should have bought 2 seats just like cellists do.

In my head I was just thinking he wanted overhead bin space for it. But I don't really know that for sure.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
If you are carrying on one or more items worth $80k, be it/them a musical instrument, specialized tools, a bag of cash, gold coins, rare stamps, box of microprocessors, whatever, it is incumbent on you, and no one else, to have a plan IN ADVANCE to take care of your valuables.

100%. Not 99%.

Case closed, the end.

No sympathy for this selfish arrogant dork.
freeflyin likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:38 pm

Nothing, of course, is 100%.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
So, by your argument I am a complete jerk if I do not get off the plane to let the musician go to his destination.

Sorry, it is posts like this that creates the pushback against musicians' sense of entitlement, He was no more entitled to be on the flight than I would have been, and if I was properly boarder before him I see no reason why you expect me to deplane.

I am sure his meeting was more important than mine. It always is.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:59 pm

The one jerk most likely to screw it is the passenger. They have a number of options.
  1. Failure to purchase EBCI
  2. Late check in.
  3. Failure to purchase upgraded boarding at the gate.
  4. Late to the airport.
  5. Bad attitude at the gate.
  6. All or some combnation of the above.
Of course it could be just plain bad luck, in that case begging might help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.