Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Movies Now Free

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Movies Now Free

This week Southwest rolled out free movies through the onboard WiFi network. Also, movies are now viewable using the latest update to the Southwest Apps for mobile devices; the Onboard Player is no longer required. (The Southwest App must still be downloaded prior to boarding the airplane.) An iPad compatible app was also released this week via the Apple App Store.

Full details on movies and the current IFE offerings are here.
kennycrudup and ursine1 like this.

Last edited by fiuchris; Nov 1, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:42 pm

Yep confirmed

On a flt from OAK to SAN as I type this and confirm that the movies are free! Yeah!
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:09 am

Interesting, this and the free messaging announcement, while complaints regarding flights with non-functional wifi seem to remain higher of late.

Is this a sign that the wifi issues have been addressed, or something else?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:59 am

Do movies work outside the continental US?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:19 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This is a great marketing move, assuming that few people were buying movies. Many more customers will enjoy free movies than paid movies.

Movies can be stored on a local hard disk. There's no reason they would require a working satellite connection.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
This is a great marketing move, assuming that few people were buying movies. Many more customers will enjoy free movies than paid movies.

Movies can be stored on a local hard disk. There's no reason they would require a working satellite connection.
this also fits in for flights to hawaii....
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by nsx

I suppose this is a good thing in that it might free up bandwidth otherwise used by someone to connect to the internet (assuming they choose to view a movie vs surf the net), but it still requires the plane to have working wifi in the first place -- and that seems to be an issue of late.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:45 pm

Do PA's and alerts interrupt the movie?

Would be a killer marketing move if they weren't playing catch-up.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
this also fits in for flights to hawaii....
Whereupon everyone upon landing will be seeking an emergency phone charge to be able to order a ride, or let your friends/family know you're there.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Whereupon everyone upon landing will be seeking an emergency phone charge ...
I don't need in-seat power, I've got an Anker
lowmiles and LadyShiva like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Is this only for Android and IOS users? I can use my phone in the app if necessary, but I'd prefer to use my tablet which is Windows 10 (a Microsoft Surface). Maybe the movies work in Chrome or Edge or Firefox?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:13 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Gig103
Is this only for Android and IOS users? I can use my phone in the app if necessary, but I'd prefer to use my tablet which is Windows 10 (a Microsoft Surface). Maybe the movies work in Chrome or Edge or Firefox?
Movies work fine on Chromebook.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Whereupon everyone upon landing will be seeking an emergency phone charge to be able to order a ride, or let your friends/family know you're there.
I watched a movie on my flight to Hawaii and still had plenty of juice left on my device.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:28 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I have enjoyed the free movies far more than I expected. They make the flight pass very quickly.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
As nice as that is, there are a few reasons I doubt we will take advantage of it and bring our own.

1 - No wifi, no movie. It happens.

2 - Interruptions during announcements. I always move one headphone to double check if important.

3 - Since Netflix and Prime let you download tons of stuff your device, we always have lots of options.

4 - If you want to watch something while stuck at the gate...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.