Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying WN after cruise in Galveston

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by tentseller
I would just buy the transfer from ship-terminal-airport which includes your bags from the cruiseline.
Large cities Uber works great in a small cruise port like Galveston you are facing smaller number of CBP agents, stevedore, car services etc.
The transfer offered by the ship will most probably not allow a flight that early. They always advertise the earliest flight they will "serve".
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Sorry, but Miami vs Galveston is not even a close comparison.

Galveston is 40 miles away from the airport vs 15 minutes in Miami.
There are not a few hundred (or more) taxies waiting like in Miami.
Galveston does not handle anywhere near the volume of Miami, and is therefore swamped when ONE cruise ship comes into port vs a handful in Miami.

As to self disembark - only some people can do that. Most do not. Did not see what the OP is doing.

I tend to push the limits - we only do carryon for cruises -but that situation is looking for trouble.
We do plan to self-disembark
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by ktremor
It doesnt say when you are flying but the port of Galveston is notorious for fog delays especially during the winter months. Delayed disembarkation can be a frequent things as the harbormaster closes the port until the fog lifts.
I just want to echo this - relatives of mine cruise out of Galveston regularly (a few times per year) and have often had their December cruises delayed in disembarkation. The last time they mentioned it to me (last year?) they weren't able to get off the ship until 1:30 in the afternoon.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:37 pm

if you don’t a flight flight once in a while you are wasting too much of your life on the paranoid side of the ledger

this guy will be fine, even with an hour delay
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I've flown out of Hobby after a few cruises from Galveston and let me say disembarkation in Galveston has made me say I will NEVER sail from Galveston again, and that was all cruises without fog issues. Last cruise from Galveston, with priority disembarkation it was 11:30 before I made it through customs. The Marriott near Hobby is decent to stay at if you miss your flight btw (I missed my 12:45 flight). You are better to book the later flight, and plan something to do for the day, than book the earlier flight and risk missing it.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Colin
if you don’t a flight flight once in a while you are wasting too much of your life on the paranoid side of the ledger

this guy will be fine, even with an hour delay
I agree...and that's what we are going to try and do. We are going for the early flight.
I will report back.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by NoShoesNation
I agree...and that's what we are going to try and do. We are going for the early flight.
I will report back.
Can't wait When's the cruise?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Can't wait When's the cruise?
First week of December. And I'll be transparent about what happens - If I miss the flight, everyone who told me to take the later one can say, "Told ya so....you asked, and then didn't listen to us."

I actually called Southwest this morning and the agent said that if we were delayed due to weather, call in and they'd accommodate us on a later flight if there's space. She said I might have to ask for a supervisor, but they'd do it.

To me, it's just worth the risk so that we don't have to sit in Houston the whole day with no car.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I actually called Southwest this morning and the agent said that if we were delayed due to weather, call in and they'd accommodate us on a later flight if there's space. She said I might have to ask for a supervisor, but they'd do it.
Above and beyond the standard 2 hour flat tire rule?

Bad weather in Galveston or Houston?

Of course, they'll accommodate on a space available basis but at what (point) cost? I personally would not be overly comfortable with that promise on the call but at least the ridiculous AT points use multiple is gone.

Does the "no double booking detection" extend to points bookings too?

Last edited by joshua362; Nov 8, 2018 at 9:53 am
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
... agent said.. they'd accommodate us on a later flight if there's space. ....
I agree with not wanting to sit around Houston all day. 100% with that.

At the same time, I would not want to spend the whole day and the whole night if the later flight is sold out.

I somewhat agree with the final decision... not sure which I would do, and I often cut timing close. Best of luck. We will all be waiting to see what happens.

By the way - what city are you flying to?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:46 pm

First week of December. And I'll be transparent about what happens - If I miss the flight, everyone who told me to take the later one can say, "Told ya so....you asked, and then didn't listen to us."

To me, it's just worth the risk so that we don't have to sit in Houston the whole day with no car.
I'd posted something on the Cruisecritic forums and they had all sorts of neat ideas, things to see/do and apparently there's some service that'll hold your bags for you as well.

But everyone's tolerance is different.

We have the 2:45 p.m. flight from Hobby, I think the latest we can stay on the Vista is 9:30 a.m. (assuming it debarks on time, etc.)

We're still not sure if we'll look around Galveston a bit or what.

However, we only "need" like maybe 2-3 hours worth of "busy". We'll probably want to be at Hobby no later than 1:15 or so (1.5 hours ahead of time), but may do the actual 2 full hours just in case.

Here's a list of "things to do" that I got from CC:
Cruise Stop will store luggage

25th and Strand .

Plenty to do around Port and Old Town .

Museums :

Train Museum

Petroleum drill Rig and Historical Industry

Sub And Destroyer

Pirate

Elissa Tall Ship Schooner

Short Films :

Pirate Lafitte

Great 1900 Storm

Galveston Immigration City

Strand walking

Post office Street walking

LaKings Confectioners

Bryan Museum (large and Great )

Bishops Palace

Moody Mansion

Carriage Rides

Carved Tree Tour

Pier 21

Restaurants and Bars
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I agree with not wanting to sit around Houston all day. 100% with that.

At the same time, I would not want to spend the whole day and the whole night if the later flight is sold out.

I somewhat agree with the final decision... not sure which I would do, and I often cut timing close. Best of luck. We will all be waiting to see what happens.

By the way - what city are you flying to?
Flying to MEM...and I agree somewhat with the final decision too
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hurnik
I'd posted something on the Cruisecritic forums and they had all sorts of neat ideas, things to see/do and apparently there's some service that'll hold your bags for you as well.

But everyone's tolerance is different.

We have the 2:45 p.m. flight from Hobby, I think the latest we can stay on the Vista is 9:30 a.m. (assuming it debarks on time, etc.)

We're still not sure if we'll look around Galveston a bit or what.

However, we only "need" like maybe 2-3 hours worth of "busy". We'll probably want to be at Hobby no later than 1:15 or so (1.5 hours ahead of time), but may do the actual 2 full hours just in case.

Here's a list of "things to do" that I got from CC:
Cruise Stop will store luggage

25th and Strand .

Plenty to do around Port and Old Town .

Museums :

Train Museum

Petroleum drill Rig and Historical Industry

Sub And Destroyer

Pirate

Elissa Tall Ship Schooner

Short Films :

Pirate Lafitte

Great 1900 Storm

Galveston Immigration City

Strand walking

Post office Street walking

LaKings Confectioners

Bryan Museum (large and Great )

Bishops Palace

Moody Mansion

Carriage Rides

Carved Tree Tour

Pier 21

Restaurants and Bars
This is something to consider...Thank you! Am going to give some thought to this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Good luck and hope it works out for you. I live in Houston and personally would not feel comfortable booking the earlier flight but I've done some close self connections (JFK > LGA, MIA > FLL) that ended up turning out just fine. At least you're on the way home so if something goes bad you don't end up missing part of your vacation.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Following up...

Booked the early flight and made it with ease.

Off the boat at 7:40, through customs and into an Uber.

By 9:05, we had checked our bags and were through security at TSA Precheck line.

Flight departed HOU on time and landed in MEM on time. Bags were on the carousel by the time we got to the claim area, which is rare because WN contracts out their ground handling at MEM and we've found wait times to be absolutely horrible in the past.

Only glitch was that when we boarded in HOU, the captain announced that because of expected turbulence, we'd have no inflight service during the flight - and I didn't get to have a bloody mary on the way home. Life is tough.

Might get burned in the future, but on this day, the plan worked like a charm.
kennycrudup, steved5480 and MrsWLV like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.