Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
I hope you're right. Boeing ought to be providing compensation for unusable aircraft purchased, but I doubt they can manage if every single airline wants compensation. I'd expect SWA to keep using Boeing aircraft, just for cockpit similarities, but what other aircraft in the brand would work in the niche? How many old 737NGs are there out there to lease at this point? Just because AA/DL like to fly 20-30+ year old aircraft (the MD80s come to mind most clearly) doesn't mean SWA wants to.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Boeing 737 Max's Autopilot Has Problem, European Regulators Find

EASA’s checklist includes a number of issues that have been disclosed: the potential difficulty pilots have in turning the jet’s manual trim wheel, the unreliability of the Max’s angle of attack sensors, inadequate training procedures, and a software issue flagged just last week by the FAA pertaining to a lagging microprocessor. But the agency also listed a previously unreported concern: the autopilot failing to disengage in certain emergencies.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
There is no answer, but I am curious if all these problems are because of the extreme scrutiny given to this aircraft or if it really is this bad. If this amount of scrutiny was given to any other Boeing or Airbus plane, would just as many problems be found.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by lougord99
There is no answer, but I am curious if all these problems are because of the extreme scrutiny given to this aircraft or if it really is this bad. If this amount of scrutiny was given to any other Boeing or Airbus plane, would just as many problems be found.
The B787s have numerous QC problems in manufacturing, perhaps worse than the MAXs, but the sensation isn't there.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
If any other brand new Boeing or Airbus model had two fatal crashes within five months, for the same reason, I guarantee you there would be extreme scrutiny on those models as well. @:-)

Last edited by DenverBrian; Jul 7, 2019 at 7:44 am
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:33 am

Of course there would be and there should be. That wasn't my point. I am just musing about whether this plane is as flawed as it seems to my unschooled eye or would all planes exhibit as many problems.
argolfer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:30 am

Of course there would be and there should be. That wasn't my point. I am just musing about whether this plane is as flawed as it seems to my unschooled eye or would all planes exhibit as many problems.
But for the loss of two airframes, none of us would know Boeing deemed a “hazardous” MCAS malfunction to be virtually inconceivable. And then limited the scrutiny and testing of the MCAS design as it hurtled toward production.

Suggesting the plane isn't "as flawed as it seems" in a broader context is mighty bighearted.
Tanic and DenverBrian like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:36 pm

Sigh.... I seem to be unable to communicate, so I give up.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

I think your point has some validity. At least with respect to the latest issues, which may not be related to the crashes or even the MCASs problems and only came to light following the extended testing (and greater willingness to listen to the pilots).

​​​​​​I think it's likely that other aircraft types would probably also have problems discovered if subjected to similar scrutiny, but on those with lengthy flying history I suspect potential issues would be minor or triggered by rare circumstances.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:34 am

I understood what you meant, and wondered the same thing myself.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
If you're saying that other plane models, under such tight scrutiny, would reveal a myriad of "problems," then yes, that's kind of obvious.

What you're missing here is that other models, despite their likely underlying flaws, have enough redundancies and/or the flaws are not critical enough to cause them to fall out of the sky like the 737 MAX-8 did. @:-)

Killing 350 people in two separate crashes just five months apart, as a new model aircraft, for the exact same apparent reason, is kind of different. Just a bit. Kind of.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:48 am

All planes do exhibit problems. Airworthiness Directives typically attract little media attention. Many identify loose components, fuselage cracks, corrosion damage and fan blade failure.

Emergency AD's do demand the public's attention. I don't think a fair reading of FAA 737 AD's since 2007 supports the notion that relentless MAX scrutiny is an aberration.

AD's For All Series of Boeing 737 Since July 2007
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:03 am

The statement that Southwest is married to Boeing is going to see its day in court. It was extremely unwise to express such certainty in Boeing by Kelly.

Boeing and Southwest Airlines conspired to hide flaws in the 737 Max jet, lawsuit alleges
https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2019/07/15/boeing-southwest-airlines-conspired-hide-flaws-max-jet-lawsuit-alleges/
jmw likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Money grab
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Boeing 737 Max grounding hits Southwest's pilot hiring

Southwest Airlines said it delayed hiring for two classes of new pilots, which have about 25 apiece, and postponed captain upgrades for two other classes of current pilots because it isn't clear when the Max planes will fly again.
​​​​​​​Makes me wonder if they are holding back on pulling Max flights through November until they fix the "free changes for everyone" system issue loophole.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.