Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:23 pm

Unexpected source, but a very detailed write-up of the doomed Ethiopian airlines flight:

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...cockpit-wheels
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Pilots Criticize Boeing, Saying 737 Max 'Should Never Have Been Approved'

He and Carey dismissed suggestions that the crashes could not have happened in the U.S., where pilots are required to have a lot of experience and more rigorous training before flying commercial airliners.

"Some (U.S.) crews would have recognized it in time to recover, but some would not have," Carey testified. Sullenberger agreed, saying it's unlikely that more experienced pilots would have had different outcomes, adding, "we shouldn't have to expect pilots to compensate for flawed designs."
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:01 pm

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/stor...9-83BE6209F817

New flight control issue, a microprocessor fault.

See ya in 2020, MAX. Maybe.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I'll bet on sometime in 3Q19. As someone who works in SW I know firsthand the news media's understanding of technical issues can be ridiculously off, so "microprocessor fault" probably (and almost certainly) means "reprogrammable firmware issue" (i.e., yet another SW update).
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Boeing needs to put all those LEAP engines in a scrap pile, and go back to engines which naturally fit a 737 airframe such as the CFM56 series. Then they can rip out the MCAS and be done with "software fixes."
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Schedule change emails for late September just came through. Looks like MAX is out of the schedule for a few more weeks.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Schedule change emails for late September just came through. Looks like MAX is out of the schedule for a few more weeks.
Although officially they announced Sept. 2 as the date through which they were adjusting the schedule the last time around, Southwest actually pulled MAX through October 1. Are you saying they are pulling the planes out into October now, or just through the end of September?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ursine1
Although officially they announced Sept. 2 as the date through which they were adjusting the schedule the last time around, Southwest actually pulled MAX through October 1. Are you saying they are pulling the planes out into October now, or just through the end of September?
My personal experience is only with September dates. Call center seemed exhausted when I called in an attempt to cancel to LUV voucher rather than TTF so I coupled with flight change notification within 24 hours of more negative MAX news I assumed a new block of dates got schedule changed today rather than residual staggering of the flight change notifications.
EDIT: My original flights were not on MAX aircraft.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
My personal experience is only with September dates. Call center seemed exhausted when I called in an attempt to cancel to LUV voucher rather than TTF so I coupled with flight change notification within 24 hours of more negative MAX news I assumed a new block of dates got schedule changed today rather than residual staggering of the flight change notifications.
EDIT: My original flights were not on MAX aircraft.
They've been rolling out customer notifications for the already announced changes, and apparently are now nearing the end of the dates for this last round. As far as I know, nothing more has been announced, and likely won't be until the point at which October+ is pulled, if/when that happens. The timeframe for that may be tricky, as carriers seem to be pushing Boeing and the FAA for a quicker resolution; one that would not require any further schedule adjustments. This seems unlikely, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

On your situation: I'm not sure I understand. Were vouchers used to book your affected itinerary?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Boeing 737 Max likely grounded until the end of the year after new problem emerges
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:51 pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...hour-engineers

(Use incognito to get past paywall)

America’s favorite form of cost-cutting finally comes home to roost.
LegalTender, jmw and copperred like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Unfortunately, the 737-MXA8 won't be ready to put back in the air for a while. They will returns into the skies sometimes in October or November during at that time.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/s...132000845.html
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

October is very unlikely. November is optimistic.

Nevertheless, Boeing doesn't expect to have a fix ready for certification until at least September, according to Reuters. After that, it will take weeks for the FAA to make a final decision. It would then take at least a month for most airlines to get their 737 MAX fleets back in the air, due to the need for software updates, maintenance work, and additional pilot training.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by ursine1
October is very unlikely. November is optimistic.
I doubt they fly before next spring. The airlines do not need them once the travel season is over. And the earlier they put them in the air the more they risk a pax pushback. The longer they wait, the better chance everybody is on to the next issue.
lougord99 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:59 pm

copperred and ursine1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.