Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:26 pm

So...the pilots would have no issue amending the contract to fly other types?

The MAX was going to be the last line of the 737 anyways....so something different would come no matter what. This is non news.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 737MAX8
The MAX was going to be the last line of the 737 anyways....so something different would come no matter what. This is non news.
Presumably Boeing would have been given first/only priority on whatever new aircraft they'd offer after the 737. Sounds like that might not be a given anymore, but we'll see.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:19 am
Original Poster

That's an interesting way of looking at it.

Alternately, this can be seen as a major, public rebuke of Boeing by their largest current customer.

Whatever the motivation for the statement, it's definitely significant.
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
I received an email with the Aug. 5th info (assuming everyone else did as well, but just in case). It's unclear if everyone affected has been contacted just yet.
Received an email late last night with an auto rebooking of my 06/28 MDW->SEA flight. Fortunately it was just a change in the flight number (from WN1821 to WN5914) . I assume it is a 800 series jet replacing the original 737-MAX plane.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

The end would not be coming for a loooong time. A "non-news" statement would be "We want to know WN"s longterm strategy when 737s are no longer made." The content, tone, and timing of this statement are obviously driven by the MAX issues.

Whether it's an idea the union really wants to pursue discussing, or just a messaging strategy in the heat of the moment, only they know.
DenverBrian and ursine1 like this.

Last edited by 84fiero; Apr 14, 2019 at 2:04 pm
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:14 pm
jmw

Let’s remember a couple of weeks ago when a bunch of very rude and insulting flyertalkers were talking out of their butts about how safe this bird was. They claimed I was overreacting about planning to protest at the gate if I were not allowed to change flights for free. And said I should be arrested for causing a scene at the airport if I didn’t get my way. Look at this situation now. There is no doubt at all this bird is unsafe and was never airworthy. The FAA’s reputation for safety is completely ruined for good reason. Even the Chinese air authority is more trustworthy despite its own political bias. This is my “I told you so” for the many wrong flyertalkers who assumed we were just worry warts who didn’t know planes are the safest way to travel. Game over losers.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by jmw
Let’s remember a couple of weeks ago when a bunch of very rude and insulting flyertalkers were talking out of their butts about how safe this bird was. They claimed I was overreacting about planning to protest at the gate if I were not allowed to change flights for free. And said I should be arrested for causing a scene at the airport if I didn’t get my way. Look at this situation now. There is no doubt at all this bird is unsafe and was never airworthy. The FAA’s reputation for safety is completely ruined for good reason. Even the Chinese air authority is more trustworthy despite its own political bias. This is my “I told you so” for the many wrong flyertalkers who assumed we were just worry warts who didn’t know planes are the safest way to travel. Game over losers.
Um, gloating and "I told you so" isn't exactly thoughtful, reasoned discussion either. @:-)

(For me, the first crash felt very anomalous; the second created a pattern, and I was alarmed that Boeing and the FAA dragged their feet on grounding so thoroughly.)
ursine1 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I was alarmed that Boeing and the FAA dragged their feet on grounding so thoroughly.
Even the "Tombstone Agency" failed to live up to their well deserved moniker on this one. *

* as requested by Boeing management.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jmw
There is no doubt at all this bird is unsafe and was never airworthy.
There's no doubt now that MCAS was the cause of both crashes, which is very different than saying that the rest of the 737MAX has issues that should have caused it never to have been certified. For all we know, the 737MAX will end up having trouble-free service for many years to come after Boeing's software fix is pushed out to the field.

Originally Posted by jmw
The FAA’s reputation for safety is completely ruined for good reason.
Yep, I think it's a huge black mark on their record. If the whole thing is managed correctly, however (e.g. passing any reforms that investigations conclude are necessary and following through on any warranted criminal charges), I think the FAA could ultimately move on with fairly little long term damage. Boeing might have more work cut out for them to achieve the same result though.

That said, I'm not sure those reforms will happen given who's in charge right now.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
https://cnn.it/2XfIxph

​@cnni: A Federal Aviation Administration panel found changes Boeing made to a 737 Max stabilization system to be "operationally suitable" and signed off on a training plan for the plane
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by steved5480
https://cnn.it/2XfIxph

​@cnni: A Federal Aviation Administration panel found changes Boeing made to a 737 Max stabilization system to be "operationally suitable" and signed off on a training plan for the plane
They concluded that simulator-based training was not necessary?

What... wasn't that how the crashes happened in the first place?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by chenalex
They concluded that simulator-based training was not necessary?

What... wasn't that how the crashes happened in the first place?
AA pilots will do SIM training on the MAX.

The Federal Aviation Administration isn’t planning to mandate simulator training targeting potential MCAS misfires. American Airlines' voluntary effort to go beyond minimum federal requirements hasn’t been reported before.

Southwest and United, the other carriers with MAX aircraft, don't intend to adopt similar training changes, the officials said.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Presumably Boeing would have been given first/only priority on whatever new aircraft they'd offer after the 737. Sounds like that might not be a given anymore, but we'll see.
Every time you want to add to the fleet a full analysis is done on all options. This has been the case in the past, present, and future. I don't think there is such thing as priority, Boeing and the 737 have just won in the past.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Every time you want to add to the fleet a full analysis is done on all options. This has been the case in the past, present, and future. I don't think there is such thing as priority, Boeing and the 737 have just won in the past.

LOL.
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by LegalTender
AA pilots will do SIM training on the MAX.
If Southwest does not follow suit, I will mail Gary Kelly my families cut up A-List and companion pass cards.

I am going to reach out to Southwest on social media and more importantly the press! Everyone who feels the same should do so as well.

This is strictly a cost saving measure. Keep in mind the world regulators have voiced their opinion that the FAA's directives such as being the last agency to ground the MAX (and letting Boeing self certify) are inadequate.

I applaud AA for doing this. Is it too much to ask that the pilots flying me and my family have completed training and MCAS scenarios on an honest to goodness MAX simulator?

It is important to note that AA was also the first (only) airline to buy the $80,000 AOA sensor digital display option before the crash/crashes. Southwest only did so afterwards.

Last edited by expert7700; Apr 18, 2019 at 4:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.