Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/24/polit...max/index.html
Updated 9:31 PM ET, Sun March 24, 2019

Boeing testing software changes to 737 MAX planes

"At the gathering, pilots from the three American carriers, plus two smaller non-US airlines, ran simulated flights designed to mimic the situation that brought down the Lion Air flight in Indonesia last year, using the current and updated software, according to the person briefed on the session."
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by steved5480

"At the gathering, pilots from the three American carriers, plus two smaller non-US airlines, ran simulated flights designed to mimic the situation that brought down the Lion Air flight in Indonesia last year, using the current and updated software, according to the person briefed on the session."
More interesting for us is, "American alone is canceling dozens of flights a day as a result of the grounding of the MAX aircraft." WN has different cards to play, i.e. their entire fleet is 737s, but look forward to reading the HBR Case Study about what both airlines did to load balance their fleets during this situation.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
More interesting for us is, "American alone is canceling dozens of flights a day as a result of the grounding of the MAX aircraft." WN has different cards to play, i.e. their entire fleet is 737s, but look forward to reading the HBR Case Study about what both airlines did to load balance their fleets during this situation.
https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/today

"Dozens" a day? Figures don't lie, but..................
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:53 pm

I would be skeptical of any simulation not validated by actual flight testing. I hope the FAA and EU Agency are as well.
I'm also surprised about the lack of comment the EU's conflict of interest.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I'm also surprised about the lack of comment the EU's conflict of interest.
Do they also delegate oversight?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA

I was quoting the article. Also---according to the data you shared WN had 1% of flights cancelled vs 3% at American which proves my point

...and is the same as Alaska which has a mostly Boeing 737, but not Max8, fleet..
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

That link to flightaware shows the canceled WN flights are on 737-700 & 737-800 aircraft, so presumably it doesn't include flights that were on MAX craft but pulled from the schedule in advance.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Do they also delegate oversight?
Their governments are significant investors in Airbus Boeing's principal competitor and have invested money and prestige in that project..
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Their governments are significant investors in Airbus Boeing's principal competitor and have invested money and prestige in that project..
Known information. What I was asking was who executes safety oversight? Otherwise it's spurious parallelism. Boeing has taken over more and more of the FAAs job.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ursine1
That link to flightaware shows the canceled WN flights are on 737-700 & 737-800 aircraft, so presumably it doesn't include flights that were on MAX craft but pulled from the schedule in advance.
They could be canceling the 737 NG flights in order to cannibalize the aircraft for routes/flights that were originally supposed to be flown with the MAX.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They could be canceling the 737 NG flights in order to cannibalize the aircraft for routes/flights that were originally supposed to be flown with the MAX.
Hard to call FlightAware the go-to resource assessing MAX grounding impact. Cancellation numbers may now derive from a downsized subset or baseline.

Southwest, which has 34 Max aircraft, is making cancellations five days in advance, with an average of 130 daily cancellations.
CBS
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Understood. My point was that the Flight Aware numbers don't accurately show the number of cancellations due to the MAX grounding, since it doesn't include any of the actual MAX flights.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus

The Southwest link there is not accurate as I know the flight from PIT->LAS today was cancelled (and has been for several days, and will be tomorrow) but is not on the list. I suppose that's a pro-active cancellation (it doesn't show as 'cancelled' on FlightAware's list, it just doesn't show as in service for that day) so there are definitely more cancellations than shown here.

Is Southwest still only allowing people till the end of the month to rebook for free? I wonder if they will actually be able to wet-lease or otherwise get enough planes to cover the gap that pulling these out of service must have caused.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Known information. What I was asking was who executes safety oversight? Otherwise it's spurious parallelism. Boeing has taken over more and more of the FAAs job.
What does that have to do with the political conflict of interest. I don't know for sure but I'd bet the EU and the FAA used pretty much the same information to certify the Max 8.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitflyer
The Southwest link there is not accurate as I know the flight from PIT->LAS today was cancelled (and has been for several days, and will be tomorrow) but is not on the list. I suppose that's a pro-active cancellation (it doesn't show as 'cancelled' on FlightAware's list, it just doesn't show as in service for that day) so there are definitely more cancellations than shown here.

Is Southwest still only allowing people till the end of the month to rebook for free? I wonder if they will actually be able to wet-lease or otherwise get enough planes to cover the gap that pulling these out of service must have caused.
Southwest is no longer allowing you to change your flight without a fee, they are only allowing you to rebook if your flight is actually canceled.

Hopefully Southwest is able to lease some planes to fill the temporary gap, however I haven't seen any announcement about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.