Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by jmw
The most unsafe commercial aircraft was Concorde, with 11 fatal flights per million flights
Second place is 737max with 4 fatal flights per million flights. (2 fatal flights in 500K flights so far)
The prior 737 has just 0.2 fatal flights per million.

If you flew 737max very frequently, but not as frequently as driving... say 5 round trips (10 flights) a week for 35 years, you have a 7.28% chance of dying during your lifetime flying this bird (1 in 250K odds). Your chances of dying from a car crash is about 1% during your lifetime. Your chances of dying as a passenger in a car crash is 0.17% (1 in 572).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-b...203441321.html
https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/f...mortality-risk

No thank you, Southwest. I'll ride the bus if necessary.
Talk about creating internet facts to justify some crazy point. Clickbate media is not in the business of generating logic...but instead clicks (for a profit) from sensationalist headlines. Using this same logic, if I eat a few thousand red M&M's per day, I have a few percentage points increase of risk for cancer too (not to mention I would be 700 lbs).

Have fun on the bus! (And all of those terrible bus crashes that I see in the news...it is a rough world out there).
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Easiest way to spot is the serrated or “zig-zag” pattern at the rear of the engines.
The wing tips are another way to tell. All MAX's have a winglet that points both up and down. Older aircraft have a winglet that only turns up - but be aware, there are or will be MAX style retrofits available.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:10 pm
glg

Originally Posted by Velocipediste
The wing tips are another way to tell. All MAX's have a winglet that points both up and down. Older aircraft have a winglet that only turns up - but be aware, there are or will be MAX style retrofits available.
This doesn't appear to be accurate as they have been retrofitting this winglet (called a split scimitar) onto existing 700's and 800s for a couple of years.

Here's an article from 2014 announcing adding them to a bunch to 800s (predating the delivery of any MAX's):
https://worldairlinenews.com/2014/01...eing-737-800s/
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Velocipediste
This is not correct and is an unreliable way to determine a/c type.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

It's quite simple...you can’t ensure you’ll be on a specific a/c type until you’re at the gate.
Don't you mean "until you land at your destination"? Planes have been boarded and then deboarded at the gate for aircraft swaps, flights are diverted, people get VDBs/IDBs, etc.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mendezka
But I need a guarantee from a CSR that I won't ever have to fly a MAX until CNN or Info-wars report that it is safe for me to do so. It is unfair & borderline unethical for SW to force me to fly on this plane!
No one is forcing you unless you're being deported or extradited. Just say no, even at the gate or after boarding.
mendezka likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't you mean "until you land at your destination"? Planes have been boarded and then deboarded at the gate for aircraft swaps, flights are diverted, people get VDBs/IDBs, etc.
You’re really reaching here. But if it entertains you, by all means continue.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]

This is not correct and is an unreliable way to determine a/c type.
It's a good first indication to tell non-MAX 737s from MAX 737s. That plus the serrated engine cowlings, and the nacelles' very far forward position, should be enough for most peeps.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Given the frequency of WN flights on many major routes, is easy enough to avoid the MAX unless you get a last minute equipment swap.

Personally I've done a complete 180 after the second crash. I think it is worth it to avoid a 1/250,000 chance of premature death but YMMV and admittedly them odds are pretty low... Consider also we don't know how many other misses or near misses have not been widely reported because the pilots managed to disengage the software (assuming that was the cause). I certainly would not choose to drive (where your chance of death is immensely higher) but I do have a choice of airlines and flights and WN often isn't even the lowest priced. It is for the same reason I stick to first world airlines if at all possible. The odds are just significantly better.
freeflyin likes this.

Last edited by Boraxo; Mar 13, 2019 at 12:41 am
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Given the frequency of WN flights on many major routes, is easy enough to avoid the MAX unless you get a last minute equipment swap.

Personally I've done a complete 180 after the second crash. I think it is worth it to avoid a 1/250,000 chance of premature death but YMMV and admittedly them odds are pretty low... Consider also we don't know how many other misses or near misses have not been widely reported because the pilots managed to disengage the software (assuming that was the cause). I certainly would not choose to drive (where your chance of death is immensely higher) but I do have a choice of airlines and flights and WN often isn't even the lowest priced. It is for the same reason I stick to first world airlines if at all possible. The odds are just significantly better.
I wouldn't say I have done the same complete 180, but I did change my upcoming WN flights(some on the MAX,some not) to another airline.

My reasons were more operational in nature. Over the last few weeks, I have had significant mechanical delays of anywhere between 3-6 hours on WN. I cannot trust that this issue with MAX isn't going to create an even bigger mess,especially if they end up grounded.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Boraxo
... Personally I've done a complete 180 after the second crash. I think it is worth it to avoid a 1/250,000 chance of premature death but YMMV and admittedly them odds are pretty low... Consider also we don't know how many other misses or near misses have not been widely reported because the pilots managed to disengage the software (assuming that was the cause). I certainly would not choose to drive (where your chance of death is immensely higher) but I do have a choice of airlines and flights and WN often isn't even the lowest priced. It is for the same reason I stick to first world airlines if at all possible. The odds are just significantly better.
Where do you get those odds?

The MAX has flown under 20,000 flights, so the odds would around 1/10,000 per flight if the crashes represent the real risk.

Last edited by exwannabe; Mar 13, 2019 at 9:58 am
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:26 am

Canada bans MAX 8 & 9 from airspace

NY Times: Canada Bans 737 Max Flights, Citing New Satellite Data
screeton likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:26 am

And now Canada has joined the party.
screeton likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:38 am

Used to be, when a major accident like this happened, global aviation authorities conferred with the FAA -- which took the lead.
screeton likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:44 am

Now that even Canada has grounded the Max, the pressure will really mount on the FAA or airlines to ground it, My buddy who works at MDW said that everyone is flipping out saying they won’t fly on the Max and that they have to reassure passengers that it will be safe.
screeton likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.