Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:49 pm

Would give a month's pay to hear today's conference call among WN/UA/AA execs.

A solid front is indispensable.

Last edited by LegalTender; Mar 11, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
So when you fly with another airline, notice you need to change your reservation and will charge you $200 just to change a flight that originally cost $175, are you going to tell them you're not going to give them future business and switch back to Southwest?
as I mentioned in a previous post, this is the standard LUV fan Boi response.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by screeton
In this case, with safety questions being asked by many, the "high road" would be to allow changes without penalty, as simply a goodwill gesture if nothing else. It seems that SWA is constantly moving further away from the corporate traditions that made them great, and that's a shame.
I wonder how much of the problem is the squeeze they are feeling from other factors. The dispute they have with the mechanics union is causing its own set of issues with flights needing to be canceled. Now asking them to ground Max 8 flights or allow customers to re-book flights without paying the difference is just another headache and another possible financial hit. I think it's easier to have great customer service when everything is going well. Everything does not seem to be going well for Southwest right now...
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Originally Posted by oreocookies
I wonder how much of the problem is the squeeze they are feeling from other factors. The dispute they have with the mechanics union is causing its own set of issues with flights needing to be canceled. Now asking them to ground Max 8 flights or allow customers to re-book flights without paying the difference is just another headache and another possible financial hit. I think it's easier to have great customer service when everything is going well. Everything does not seem to be going well for Southwest right now...
You are probably correct on the SWA corporate reasoning for foot dragging. Sometimes, however, points are to be gained by doing what's right, without considering the nickel and dime financial implications. Giving SWA passengers, many of whom are a fiercely loyal lot, a "free" change off the 800MAX planes is not going to bankrupt the company, and its not going to make the already dysfunctional (understaffed, overloaded) call centers any less functional. If the 800MAX represents only 4% of the fleet, and assuming that those booked on those planes are split 50/50 on whether they need/want to rebook, the value gained by practicing good customer service would far outweigh the incremental revenue earned by forcing those passengers into higher fares on other flights.
nsx and dlaue like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by expert7700
None of currently scheduled Southwest Hawaii flights from OAK, SJC, or interisland are max. they all show 737-800 on the schedule.

Thus far 102 737-MAX (out of a reported 350 delivered) are currently grounded by regulators or voluntarily)

96 in China (list from @juliuswong on airliners.net), 4 in Ethiopia, and 2 in Grand Cayman.

100% of the 737maxes in each of the following fleets:
Ethiopian - 4
Grand Cayman - 2
Joy Air- 1
Air China- 15
Fuzhou Airlines- 2
China Southern- 24
China Eastern- 3
Kunming- 2
Lucky Air- 3
Hainan Airlines- 11
Okay Airways- 2
Shandong Airlines- 7
Shanghai Airlines- 11
Shenzhen Airlines- 5
Xiamen Airlines- 10

Come on Southwest--do the right thing.
Media in the USA are reporting that the MAX has also been grounded in Indonesia.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by geo979
Wow, I can't believe the hostility shown to anyone who would dare suggest even the remote possiblity the 2 crashes could have something in common and it might implicate...EGADS...the newest 737. Especially since every news organization in the US is doing the exact same thing. Do the haters all own Boeing stock? Which, by the way, took a dive after the crash.
Boeing seems to be down about 6.5% today. I'm not sure I'd describe that as a dive or not, although it is a day when the major indices are up by about 0.5-2.0%.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKBN1QS1LJ

Sounds to me like something else was at play here, and not an angle of attack issue. Will be interesting to see how the investigation plays out.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by aaronp84
[URL removed] Sounds to me like something else was at play here, and not an angle of attack issue. Will be interesting to see how the investigation plays out.
Eye witness reports are pretty unreliable. I remember for the Buffalo plane crash in 2009, eye witnesses said the plane was "sputtering" and making weird sounds, but we now know there was nothing actually wrong with the engine or that would cause that - the plane just lost speed when the pilot wasn't paying attention and then he reacted in the exact wrong way to prevent a stall. It's possible something else was wrong with this flight than the angle of attack thing, but given that the black boxes have already been found, I'd just wait to see what they say. Hopefully we can get some info soon rather than it dragging on for weeks.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by oreocookies
Eye witness reports are pretty unreliable. I remember for the Buffalo plane crash in 2009, eye witnesses said the plane was "sputtering" and making weird sounds, but we now know there was nothing actually wrong with the engine or that would cause that - the plane just lost speed when the pilot wasn't paying attention and then he reacted in the exact wrong way to prevent a stall. It's possible something else was wrong with this flight than the angle of attack thing, but given that the black boxes have already been found, I'd just wait to see what they say. Hopefully we can get some info soon rather than it dragging on for weeks.
Completely agree. Trust me - I am not assuming anything until the full investigation report is out.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
So when you fly with another airline, notice you need to change your reservation and will charge you $200 just to change a flight that originally cost $175, are you going to tell them you're not going to give them future business and switch back to Southwest?
Just because airline B is wrong doesn't mean that Southwest isn't wrong. Your logic escapes me.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

The FAA has issued today an Airworthiness Notification regarding MAX aircraft.

The document primarily contains info regarding the LionAir crash (both due to the limited amount of data available from the Ethiopian Airline crash, and also I suspect damage control following perceptions that the LionAir investigation was moving too slowly).

Highlights:

-- External reports are drawing similarities between this accident and the Lion Air Flight 610 accident on October 29, 2018. However, this investigation has just begun and to date we have not been provided data to draw any conclusions or take any actions.

-- Ongoing oversight activities by the FAA include Boeing’s completion of the flight control system enhancements. The FAA anticipates mandating these design changes by AD no later than April 2019.

-- Design changes include: MCAS Activation Enhancements, MCAS AOA Signal Enhancements, & MCAS Maximum Command Limit.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:22 am

Can "Boeing’s completion of the flight control system enhancements...no later than April 2019" be done w/o rotating MAXs out of service?

It's been 2 months since the CVR was recovered from Lion Air. Can't findings be revealed on a priority basis, or do we need to wait a customary year?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Can "Boeing’s completion of the flight control system enhancements...no later than April 2019" be done w/o rotating MAXs out of service?

It's been 2 months since the CVR was recovered from Lion Air. Can't findings be revealed on a priority basis, or do we need to wait a customary year?
The typical NTSB investigation commonly lasts 12-18 months, but with respect to the Lion Air (and now Ethiopian) accidents, NTSB is not the lead agency. As such, they are only providing assistance under ICAO protocol to the agency conducting the investigation in the country of the accident, and it's that agency that's in control. Accordingly, it could be more that the usual 12-18 months before a full investigation is completed and a final report of probable cause issued. Given the apparent similarities between the two accidents (new aircraft, phase of flight involved), I dare say the relevant answers will be available well in advance of any official report release.

Meanwhile, the UK is the latest country to ground them/ban them from its airspace...
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
Thus far 102 737-MAX (out of a reported 350 delivered) are currently grounded by regulators or voluntarily).
Now up to 150 Max airplanes. I suspect it won't be long before WN grounds it's Max planes; legal hand wringing has begun.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by OPNLguy
The typical NTSB investigation commonly lasts 12-18 months, but with respect to the Lion Air (and now Ethiopian) accidents, NTSB is not the lead agency. As such, they are only providing assistance under ICAO protocol to the agency conducting the investigation in the country of the accident, and it's that agency that's in control. Accordingly, it could be more that the usual 12-18 months before a full investigation is completed and a final report of probable cause issued. Given the apparent similarities between the two accidents (new aircraft, phase of flight involved), I dare say the relevant answers will be available well in advance of any official report release.

Meanwhile, the UK is the latest country to ground them/ban them from its airspace...
UK overflight is banned. That's going to be interesting. Meanwhile, back in the USA, everything's just peachy....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.