Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
There is also a big discussion on the AA forum about this. Many are debating whether they'd fly on the Max now. My concern is that the second crash-seemingly caused by the same thing-was after pilots would have been briefed and trained on the issue. Ethiopian is certified to fly to the US. I cannot imagine them skipping this important update. Yet they couldn't make the necessary corrections. There are a lot of assumptions there, but I am avoiding the Max for a while. An engineer wrote the post below. I think its worth reading:

​​​​​​"Since its introduction in 2017, the MAX has now established a fatality rate that is at least 1,000 times higher than the 737NG and A320ceo/neo over the same period. It has two 100% fatal hull losses in less than 300 aircraft-years of operation. For context, the DC-10, which is widely regarded to have suffered serious safety flaws in the initial design, still made it over 1,600 aircraft-years of operation before its second 100% fatal hull loss. Something is wrong with the MAX."
Boraxo, screeton and ryw like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by expert7700
None of currently scheduled Southwest Hawaii flights from OAK, SJC, or interisland are max. they all show 737-800 on the schedule.

Thus far 102 737-MAX (out of a reported 350 delivered) are currently grounded by regulators or voluntarily)

96 in China (list from @juliuswong on airliners.net), 4 in Ethiopia, and 2 in Grand Cayman.

100% of the 737maxes in each of the following fleets:
Ethiopian - 4
Grand Cayman - 2
Joy Air- 1
Air China- 15
Fuzhou Airlines- 2
China Southern- 24
China Eastern- 3
Kunming- 2
Lucky Air- 3
Hainan Airlines- 11
Okay Airways- 2
Shandong Airlines- 7
Shanghai Airlines- 11
Shenzhen Airlines- 5
Xiamen Airlines- 10

Come on Southwest--do the right thing.
As I noted much earlier in this threat, SW is NOT the only airline in NA flying this aircraft, and not entirely sure why everyone feels the need to brigade the SW forum to .... on them every day. Air Canada, American, Westjet, and United are all flying 737 MAX jets, not sure I've seen any of you filling threads over there calling for their max jets to be grounded and for the airlines to do the right thing.

Not saying I disagree with them being grounded, but let's not stick our heads in the sand and act like this is purely on SW in North America.

Last edited by aaronp84; Mar 11, 2019 at 8:26 am Reason: .
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by aaronp84
As I noted much earlier in this threat, SW is NOT the only airline in NA flying this aircraft, and not entirely sure why everyone feels the need to brigade the SW forum to .... on them every day. Air Canada, American, Westjet, and United are all flying 737 MAX jets, not sure I've seen any of you filling threads over there calling for their max jets to be grounded and for the airlines to do the right thing.

Not saying I disagree with them being grounded, but let's not stick our heads in the sand and act like this is purely on SW in North America.
Have you looked in the airline forums? I see similar UA, AC, AA threads.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
I am a bit less concerned about the issue with UA, AC or AA because I do not regularly fly those carriers. I do regularly fly SW, so my attention is directed here. At the very minimum, SW should match United's offer of no penalty change for those who wish to avoid the 800MAX. Ideally, SW would do what it used to do best, step out ahead of the pack and announce a grounding of these planes until the investigation is complete and any remedial design or software upgrades are made. The good will and publicity accruing to SW from this move would be considerable, and would help polish an image that is becoming tarnished by issues related to the long simmering maintenance dispute. And, as others have noted, if SW instituted an arbitrary grounding of the plane, everyone else would follow suit.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Only 350 MAX8s have been delivered. Within a few months two have crashed, with what appears to be superficial commonalities.

Personally, I would not avoid travelling on the MAX, but I wouldn't be critical of somebody who does.
nsx likes this.

Last edited by dlaue; Mar 11, 2019 at 11:34 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: DL-Platinum
Southwest refused to change my flight on the 737 MAX 8 and waive the fare difference. When I asked to speak with a supervisor, they told me I would receive a call back in 24-48 hours.

This is quite unacceptable and makes me not want to give Southwest future business.

Last edited by gregman858; Mar 11, 2019 at 11:30 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Originally Posted by gregman858
Southwest refused to change my flight on the 737 MAX 8 and waive the fare difference. When I asked to speak with a supervisor, they told me I would receive a call back in 24-48 hours.

This is quite unacceptable and makes me to not want to give Southwest future business.
why should they?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Ditka

why should they?
​​​​​​​Because I do not feel comfortable flying in a plane that has been involved in two major crashes the past 2 months. No investigation has been completed as of right now, so they should give customers the option to avoid that plane or receive a full refund.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Because I do not feel comfortable flying in a plane that has been involved in two major crashes the past 2 months. No investigation has been completed as of right now, so they should give customers the option to avoid that plane or receive a full refund.
so because you are afraid of flying a plane they should change it?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
In this case, with safety questions being asked by many, the "high road" would be to allow changes without penalty, as simply a goodwill gesture if nothing else. It seems that SWA is constantly moving further away from the corporate traditions that made them great, and that's a shame.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:19 am

Yes.

I came on here to report what I have been told. Obviously, you disagree. However, trolling me about what I feel they should or should not do isn't the point of this forum. Both of these crashes have occurred on new jets and I (as many others probably do too) feel unsafe flying on this particular model.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:20 am

I don't think the fear in this situation in unreasonable.

God forbid a third Max crashes but assume one does before we know cause of the two prior crashes. Would you have any concerns?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Silver
Wow, I can't believe the hostility shown to anyone who would dare suggest even the remote possiblity the 2 crashes could have something in common and it might implicate...EGADS...the newest 737. Especially since every news organization in the US is doing the exact same thing. Do the haters all own Boeing stock? Which, by the way, took a dive after the crash.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aaronp84

It's well-known that Southwest has an all 737 fleet, and that Southwest has the largest MAX fleet in the United States, which obviously explains the extra attention and they're getting in this situation.

It would appear however that Southwest has no plans to ground their MAX aircraft voluntarily. Given the ongoing issues caused by the labor disagreementwith their mechanics union already causing an abnormally high number of planes to be grounded everyday, this should surprise no one.

​​​​​​
Southwest and American airlines, the biggest U.S. operators of the Boeing 737 Max 8, say they stand by the new plane despite two fatal crashes in less than five months.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:43 pm

This is quite unacceptable and makes me not want to give Southwest future business.
So when you fly with another airline, notice you need to change your reservation and will charge you $200 just to change a flight that originally cost $175, are you going to tell them you're not going to give them future business and switch back to Southwest?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.