Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Personally, I've got no less confidence in WN's OPS. I'm going back and forth to FL this week and could possibly end up on a Max 8 ... <shrug>
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Why are posts oldest to newest. Should be the other way.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Why are posts oldest to newest. Should be the other way.
1. Because that's the default
2. Ok, then change it:

Logon to your account
Click Quick Links
Scroll Down to & Click Edit Options
Scroll Down to the Thread Display Options section
Under Thread Display Mode, open the drop-down and change it to Linear - Newest First
Close the drop-down (oddly, there there is no "save")

Close the Window/browser and open a new one. Done.
nsx, kennycrudup and FindAWay like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
The plane showed unstable vertical speed after takeoff, air traffic monitor Flightradar 24 said in a Twitter post. Visibility appeared to be clear.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by lighthouse206

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think there’s been a double crash of the same model under (initially) very similar circumstances within months of each other.... SINCE THE 60s!

If that’s not a reason to keep them on the ground until things are figured out... I don’t know what is.

not crashes, but the 787s had battery fires and were grounded for a while.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by expert7700
who cares. Their culture needs to be safety first at any cost. Ground them tomorrow. Beat the FAA and Boeing to the punch. This will show them "hey, we're doing what is right for our customers and employees.... ball's in your court guys".
Certainly they should and certainly they won't.
milypan, ursine1, ryw and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:52 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If you ground the airplanes without knowing whether a problem even exists, let alone what the problem is, let alone the solution, when could you ever bring those airplanes back into service? I suppose if this turns out to have been terrorism, that would suffice, but sometimes we never solve the mystery.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by nsx
If you ground the airplanes without knowing whether a problem even exists, let alone what the problem is, let alone the solution, when could you ever bring those airplanes back into service? I suppose if this turns out to have been terrorism, that would suffice, but sometimes we never solve the mystery.
We know a problem exists based on Lionair. Boeing delayed the software 'fix'. Seems very prudent to not fly them until the fix is available. Once customers start doing this it puts much needed pressure on Boeing.

Should we expect Southwest's pilots to know the right process in the meantime? sure. But are Southwest's pilots THAT much better than an overseas star alliance pilot who had thousands of hours experience on type? Doubtful.

Is there a chance Southwest pilots will follow the emergency directive in good weather clear skies like in Ethiopia or Indonesia? I'd like to think so.

BUT how will they perform on their 1st leg of the day if hungover, or 7th leg of the day if drowsy? What about taking off in horrible weather, blackout or IFR conditions? Are they still THAT much better than foreign pilots? I have to think not.
joshua362 likes this.

Last edited by expert7700; Mar 10, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by nsx
Are you proposing that we continue flying them until more crash, so that we can collect more data? Perhaps we should consider grounding them until the JT and ET investigations both have preliminary findings? The bottom line is, since its introduction in 2017, the MAX has now achieved a fatality rate that is at least 1,000 times higher than the 737NG and A320ceo/neo over the same period. It has two 100% fatal hull losses in less than 300 aircraft-years of operation, which is essentially unheard of today. For context, the DC-10 -- an aircraft widely regarded to have suffered serious safety flaws in the initial design -- still made it over 1,600 aircraft-years of operation before its second 100% fatal hull loss. There is almost certainly something wrong with the MAX.
screeton, Critterlynn and DCP2016 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Are There Problems With the Boeing 737 Max? A Second Deadly Crash Raises New Questions
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:14 pm

The MAX is officially GROUNDED in China:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...x-caijing-says
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:49 pm

From The Points Guy:
The preliminary investigation following Lion Air Flight 610 revealed that prior to the crash, a system called Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System or MCAS had engaged, without the pilots’ knowledge. The MCAS lowers the nose automatically to prevent a stall, or the loss of lift, if it detects that the angle of the plane’s nose is too high relative to the ground. A malfunctioning sensor may have led the MCAS to engage repeatedly, countering the pilots’ maneuvers.
[...]
However, Diehl does see one of the Boeing 737 MAX’s most advanced flight features — the MCAS implicated in the crash of Lion Air 610 — as one of its biggest flaws as well. The system creates “a different flying experience” for pilots, because you “can’t overpower it with the MAX.”
Yeah, I'm not gonna be flying these until they figure it out.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:27 pm
jmw

Need practical advice. How do you tell if the Southwest flight you're taking has the 737-max? I have multiple flights coming up so this is a bit pressing.

I'm disappointed that neither Southwest nor the FAA has reacted to either address our concerns or grounded the aircraft. I'm not happy with two crashes that are very similar in just five months. It's a joke that the Chinese are leading the way in flight safety. You don't have to ground the aircraft, but there's been plenty of time to say something.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Parallel threads.

How to see which type of aircraft my Southwest flights will use? (737 MAX concerns)

To repeat an often repeated disclaimer, Southwest does & will often swap aircraft sub-types with little or no notice.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by jmw
Need practical advice. How do you tell if the Southwest flight you're taking has the 737-max? I have multiple flights coming up so this is a bit pressing.

I'm disappointed that neither Southwest nor the FAA has reacted to either address our concerns or grounded the aircraft. I'm not happy with two crashes that are very similar in just five months. It's a joke that the Chinese are leading the way in flight safety. You don't have to ground the aircraft, but there's been plenty of time to say something.

Oh please, with China, it's more political than anything. Pretty sure ARJ21s could start falling out of the sky on a daily basis and the government wouldn't ground them.

And I personally believe that most of the blame for the Lionair crash goes to Lionair and not Boeing. It's my understanding that pilots from the previous four flights of that jet reported unreliable airspeed indications. The AoA sensor was replaced, the problem still persisted. On the second to last flight, the plane entered an abrupt, steep dive with the pilots were able to recover from. Lionair let the plane go back up in the air for what would be its final flight. That jet wasn't airworthy, and should've never been allowed in the air with passengers until the problem was fixed and completed an uneventful test flight.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.