Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Stall recovery is a standard part of pilot training. Take the plane up to 15,000 feet induce a stall and recover. I'm not sure I'd trust a simulator to get this right but would want to try it in a real airplane.
The protection mode is specific to the MAX. Why would a faulty AOA signal not be a problem with the 737NG but is a problem with the MAX? Techs quoted online blame extremely forward and high mounted engines and their pods generating lift at high angle of attack only. Disconnecting the protection mode seems adventurous. It should be a collaborative call.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
The protection mode is specific to the MAX. Why would a faulty AOA signal not be a problem with the 737NG but is a problem with the MAX? Techs quoted online blame extremely forward and high mounted engines and their pods generating lift at high angle of attack only. Disconnecting the protection mode seems adventurous. It should be a collaborative call.
The wing is also different. Not sure what effect that has. Certainly any stall testing should be done very carefully.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:03 pm

Ooh happy day. Looks like my flight tomorrow just got switched from a B38M (MAX 8) to a normal 738.

Very good news indeed. Not a very common thing for WN right? (WN 3882)
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

According to some of the articles I read there are switched on the console which allow it.
I've not see that. Do you have a reference?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
According to some of the articles I read there are switched on the console which allow it.
Originally Posted by ursine1
I've not seen that. Do you have a reference?
It was in the NYT today.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

I think it should be obvious, but perhaps is important to point out that stall training is one thing, training to respond to a system you know nothing about because you had no idea it existed, which is controlling the aircraft in response to erroneous sensor input by putting it into a deep dive, is something completely different.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:05 pm

It's my understanding that there's a (circuit)breaker for every automatic system, though. That NYT article is pretty informative, as well.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
It was in the NYT today.
That's a great reference, thanks for posting. From this info, it's highly questionable that any suggestion that the state of pilot training, arguably lesser at Lion Air by comparison to US carriers, would have made a difference in this situation, should the current assumptions prove to be true.

If the pilots of Lion Air 610 did in fact confront an emergency with this type of anti-stall system, they would have had to take a rapid series of complex steps to understand what was happening and keep the jetliner flying properly. These steps were not in the manual, and the pilots had not been trained in them.

---

If the false warning in turn activated the automatic anti-stall system, the pilots would have had to take a series of rapid and not necessarily intuitive steps to maintain control – a particular challenge since those steps were not in the plane’s operating manual and the pilots had not been trained on how to respond.

---

With only fragmentary data available, Mr. Hansman said he suspects that a runaway of the M.C.A.S. system played a central role in the crash. “The system basically overrode the pilot in that situation,” Mr. Hansman said.

If the anti-stall system indeed ran away with the stabilizer control, only a fast sequence of steps by the pilot and first officer could have saved the aircraft, instructions later issued by Boeing show.
I see nothing in this article that suggests pilots have the ability to "switch off" M.C.A.S.

If it is possible, would it even be allowed?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
I think it should be obvious, but perhaps is important to point out that stall training is one thing, training to respond to a system you know nothing about because you had no idea it existed, which is controlling the aircraft in response to erroneous sensor input by putting it into a deep dive, is something completely different.
Which is why I suspect pilots will be turning it off.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Which is why I suspect pilots will be turning it off.
If possible.

Nothing I've seen says that's so.

And, if possible, if allowed.

Nothing I've seen says that's so.

If you have reference otherwise, please post. Thanks.

And, to be completely clear: My post was in response to the discussion suggesting that somehow better trained pilots could have produced a different outcome in the Lion Air crash. Worth noting is that the Boeing/FAA directive is the steps necessary to recover, not direction to disable the system.

Last edited by ursine1; Nov 16, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:08 pm

Disabling it as a pre-flight procedure is unrealistic.

Think of the liability SWA is transferring to itself.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:27 pm

Must-read analysis and commentary:

https://leehamnews.com/2018/11/14/bo...to-the-pilots/

Hearing a couple of internet rumors that AA has disabled MCAS on their MAX’s. Anyone know?
ursine1 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Southwest had at least 2 737max control sensors fail (same part as Lionair)

from airliners.net user patplan:

Southwest Replaced Flight-Control Sensors of the Kind Implicated in Lion Air Crash
During the three weeks before Lion Air Flight 610 plunged into waters off Indonesia, Southwest Airlines Co. replaced two malfunctioning flight-control sensors of the same type that has been publicly implicated in the crash, according to a summary of Southwest maintenance records reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

Both U.S. maintenance issues involved a Boeing Co. 737 MAX 8, the same model that crashed last month in Indonesia. The sensors measure whether the jetliner is angled above or below level flight.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/southwest-replaced-flight-control-sensors-of-the-kind-implicated-in-lion-air-crash-1542330689
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Must-read analysis and commentary:
Including this. Now, I have no way to tell which airline or even if that date (07/2017) is correct, but if it is, someone's dropped the ball somewhere.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ion-air-crash/

Dispute arises among U.S. pilots on Boeing 737 MAX system linked to Lion Air crash

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.