Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by ursine1
Boeing 737 Max grounding hits Southwest's pilot hiring

Makes me wonder if they are holding back on pulling Max flights through November until they fix the "free changes for everyone" system issue loophole.
​​​​​​​Maybe, but I'd bet the majority of the people who fly Southwest aren't even aware of that hack.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

True enough. The delay could just be chalked up to their (ill-advised) faith in Boeing. United just announced that they're buying used 737-700s, but there's been no indication Southwest has any similar plans. All their eggs appear to be in the "MAX back in the air soon" basket.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:32 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
All their eggs appear to be in the "MAX back in the air soon" basket.
Agreed. I have no doubt that the fixes will make the aircraft safe, but the self-interest of every aviation official is to delay approval until someone else can take the responsibility of certifying it safe. Not to mention the political advantage to be gained in Europe from imposing additional cost on a US manufacturer. I'm pretty sure we'd do the same to them.

Ironically, the high cost of this extended waiting time will make it harder for manufacturers and airlines to concur with grounding an aircraft type after the next unexplained accident. They will fight to keep them flying even though prudence favors grounding. For example, few cars and light trucks could withstand this level of design scrutiny. When they are recalled for safety items they aren't taken out of service immediately for over half a year while the fix is debated, engineered, and approved. People do die when recall repairs are delayed, but there would be a heavy cost to "ground" all those vehicles. There is always a balance to be struck.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:56 pm

Boeing has publicly stated that they won't go the aerodynamic fix route. A new certification would be required. A lot of entities bet on the "too big to fail" scenario.

Not expecting to see 'MAX' on the sides after they're are cleared to fly.

Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:03 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
NYT just released a good podcast on the topic yesterday;

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/30/p...g-737-max.html
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:42 pm

Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
2021? Why do you say that? This is a really good article and I am glad it sounds like Boeing is doing the right thing (now).
ursine1 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

2021? Why do you say that? This is a really good article and I am glad it sounds like Boeing is doing the right thing (now).
Because the changes that Boeing has (apparently) agreed to are very significant, will take forever to certify, prepare pilot training, modify sims, etc.

In addition it raises some very interesting questions about the 737 NG’s certification as well.

Must be interesting days at Boeing....
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by spongenotbob

Because the changes that Boeing has (apparently) agreed to are very significant, will take forever to certify, prepare pilot training, modify sims, etc.

In addition it raises some very interesting questions about the 737 NG’s certification as well.

Must be interesting days at Boeing....
But Boeing already knows this and is still saying submit a fix to the FAA by September with hopeful return to service by October. Now, I think that is probably too optimistic a schedule on Boeing's part (towards the end of this year seems more likely to me, but, to be clear, I know nothing), but I would hope they are not 15 months off.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:33 am

If the required changes involve additional hardware after the FAA approves the changes it will take some time to retrofit the planes and train the pilots.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:14 am
Original Poster

The potential proposed changes at this point seem to be only software. If anything like new angle of attack indicators or disagree lights are required, some carriers will need to have those added. I believe Southwest already has these as part of the heads-up display (added after the first crash).

There's no indication that any kind of physical restructuring of the planes' aerodynamics will be required by the FAA. And Boeing certainly doesn't want that. They've insisted the solution is a simple software fix.

Once Boeing has approval to roll out the fix(es), it will still take a couple of months to do so. Individual carriers will need to complete the updates and testing/verification, and also whatever pilot training is required. I suspect that to be somewhere above the hour on an iPad MAX initially triggered and below any actual simulator time, which Boeing and the carriers don't want to have to pay for or spend the time on. (I've also read that simulators are in short supply to begin with.)

Assuming international regulatory approval is in sync with US, and that this happens in the fall, some carriers my have planes flying as soon as the new year.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
The potential proposed changes at this point seem to be only software. If anything like new angle of attack indicators or disagree lights are required, some carriers will need to have those added. I believe Southwest already has these as part of the heads-up display (added after the first crash).

There's no indication that any kind of physical restructuring of the planes' aerodynamics will be required by the FAA. And Boeing certainly doesn't want that. They've insisted the solution is a simple software fix.

Once Boeing has approval to roll out the fix(es), it will still take a couple of months to do so. Individual carriers will need to complete the updates and testing/verification, and also whatever pilot training is required. I suspect that to be somewhere above the hour on an iPad MAX initially triggered and below any actual simulator time, which Boeing and the carriers don't want to have to pay for or spend the time on. (I've also read that simulators are in short supply to begin with.)

Assuming international regulatory approval is in sync with US, and that this happens in the fall, some carriers my have planes flying as soon as the new year.
The original fix might be described as a simple software fix. What is on the table now is not simple, even if only firmware.

The change being talked about in the recent Seattle TImes article is certainly complex, Basically a redesign of the core concept of how the flight control systems work. Instead of the computer on the active side handling controls, both will be active and an arbitration system will lock them both out if they disagree, I have been responsible for developing such system (not flight control, but dual controls for redundancy and reliability), they are not something that gets done in a few months.

The change is because in the past the FAA has accepted the core Boeing concept that the computers are only an assist, and the pilots can always safely fly the plane. The recent test where a screw up by the computers that was not reacted to in the 1 second led to 1 of 3 simulated crashed of the Max was a huge issue. [Note, the article is unclear on how slow the pilots were in reacting]. But the FAA now wants more reliability than a single computer can ever present.

OK, Boeing has a lot of talent on board. So they might get it implemented faster than I could imagine. But you still have internal test and the FAA acceptance. And you know every insignificant flaw will raise flags.

I am very skeptical of this year. And think early 2020 is hopeful. 2021 is not out of play.
Tanic, LegalTender, jmw and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Basically a redesign of the core concept of how the flight control systems work. Instead of the computer on the active side handling controls, both will be active and an arbitration system will lock them both out if they disagree.
And the dual active and arbitration systems would only be add-ons to the MAX, not the NGs? Not sure that's feasible given crew demands of global carriers. A hybrid of training levels in the cockpit owing to scheduling is a risky expedient.

Had Boeing insisted on MCAS specific training in the first place, perhaps no one would be contemplating all this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

From the previously linked article:

Boeing believes the changes can be accomplished in time to win new regulatory approval for the MAX to fly again by October.
Obviously, October is absurdly optimistic. But I wouldn't be surprised to see things happen very quickly once the FAA says go. Especially if the training requirements are minimal. Southwest management has claimed all along that there's nothing wrong with the planes. Carriers are losing money and will do whatever it takes to reverse that as soon as they can.

​​​​​​
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by exwannabe
The original fix might be described as a simple software fix. What is on the table now is not simple, even if only firmware.

The change being talked about in the recent Seattle TImes article is certainly complex, Basically a redesign of the core concept of how the flight control systems work. Instead of the computer on the active side handling controls, both will be active and an arbitration system will lock them both out if they disagree, I have been responsible for developing such system (not flight control, but dual controls for redundancy and reliability), they are not something that gets done in a few months.

The change is because in the past the FAA has accepted the core Boeing concept that the computers are only an assist, and the pilots can always safely fly the plane. The recent test where a screw up by the computers that was not reacted to in the 1 second led to 1 of 3 simulated crashed of the Max was a huge issue. [Note, the article is unclear on how slow the pilots were in reacting]. But the FAA now wants more reliability than a single computer can ever present.

OK, Boeing has a lot of talent on board. So they might get it implemented faster than I could imagine. But you still have internal test and the FAA acceptance. And you know every insignificant flaw will raise flags.

I am very skeptical of this year. And think early 2020 is hopeful. 2021 is not out of play.
I am curious if Boeing's other product lines already implement a schema where both flight computers are used. Any fliers or mechanics out there have the answer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.