Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
If Southwest does not follow suit, I will mail Gary Kelly my families cut up A-List and companion pass cards.

I am going to reach out to Southwest on social media and more importantly the press! Everyone who feels the same should do so as well.

This is strictly a cost saving measure. Keep in mind the world regulators have voiced their opinion that the FAA's directives such as being the last agency to ground the MAX (and letting Boeing self certify) are inadequate.

I applaud AA for doing this. Is it too much to ask that the pilots flying me and my family have completed training and MCAS scenarios on an honest to goodness MAX simulator?

It is important to note that AA was also the first (only) airline to buy the $80,000 AOA sensor digital display option before the crash/crashes. Southwest only did so afterwards.
I fail to see what simulator training will actually do since the simulators are programed to fly as the planes are supposed to fly, not necessarily as they actually do. I wonder if the MCAS was ever triggered in a simulator in the same way it was in the accidents and other incidents that have been reported. If the simulator doesn't reliably repeat the action of the MCAS there is something wrong with the simulator.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by steved5480
A Federal Aviation Administration panel found changes Boeing made to a 737 Max stabilization system to be "operationally suitable" and signed off on a training plan for the plane
I have been able to identify members of the FAA panel (your tax dollars at work):
joshua362 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I fail to see what simulator training will actually do since the simulators are programed to fly as the planes are supposed to fly, not necessarily as they actually do. I wonder if the MCAS was ever triggered in a simulator in the same way it was in the accidents and other incidents that have been reported. If the simulator doesn't reliably repeat the action of the MCAS there is something wrong with the simulator.
They are "only programmed to fly as the planes are supposed to fly." Then AA is wasting money and no useful benefit exists to train on MCAS failure modes. Good guidance.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

How the Boeing 737 Max Disaster Looks to a Software Developer

Long but fascinating article by a pilot and software engineer that highlights the multiple failures in creation of the 737MAX.

So Boeing produced a dynamically unstable airframe, the 737 Max. That is big strike No. 1. Boeing then tried to mask the 737’s dynamic instability with a software system. Big strike No. 2. Finally, the software relied on systems known for their propensity to fail (angle-of-attack indicators) and did not appear to include even rudimentary provisions to cross-check the outputs of the angle-of-attack sensor against other sensors, or even the other angle-of-attack sensor. Big strike No. 3.

None of the above should have passed muster. None of the above should have passed the “OK” pencil of the most junior engineering staff, much less a DER.

That’s not a big strike. That’s a political, social, economic, and technical sin.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
https://www.inc.com/bill-murphy-jr/s...heir-lead.html
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Everything's fine, stay the course.

Southwest has 'no plans' to alter orders for hundreds more Boeing 737 Max aircraft
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ursine1
It'll be interesting if Southwest ends up not being able to fly MAX aircraft to their international destinations due to other countries disagreeing with the FAA's assessment and requiring e.g. full recertification or simulator time as a result. Though I guess it's also possible that they'll fall in line with the rest of the world given enough domestic political pressure. We'll see in any case.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:43 pm

Everything's fine, stay the course.
The only realistic option he has.

It's a good guess that a multinational group of regulators will need to sign off on the MAX 8's return. The FAA has little in-house ability to determine if a particular airplane’s design is safe. 346 people are dead. Boeing avoided having to internalize the cost of much larger engines. If the MAX is a dynamically unstable airframe, adding complexity isn't the answer.
84fiero and ursine1 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender

It's a good guess that a multinational group of regulators will need to sign off on the MAX 8's return. The FAA has little in-house ability to determine if a particular airplane’s design is safe. 346 people are dead. Boeing avoided having to internalize the cost of much larger engines. If the MAX is a dynamically unstable airframe, adding complexity isn't the answer.
There should be a point when an aerodynamicly unstable aircraft cannot be made stable through software. This goes for Airbus and raises questions about the 777x with its larger and more forward engines.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by BF263533
There should be a point when an aerodynamicly unstable aircraft cannot be made stable through software. This goes for Airbus and raises questions about the 777x with its larger and more forward engines.
An engineering point or profit/loss point? Boeing has chosen the latter.

After the current round of litigation, perhaps they may return to complying with the laws of physics.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LegalTender

It's a good guess that a multinational group of regulators will need to sign off on the MAX 8's return. The FAA has little in-house ability to determine if a particular airplane’s design is safe.
Do you think (as examples) Canada, China, or Australia have more capability?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
A big issue here is regulatory capture. The FAA is staffed with former Boeing employees who may not be relied upon to effectively police their former employer.

Additionally, Boeing’s ability to self-certify anything should be illegal. At least regulatory bodies in other countries will be less susceptible to political interference from Boeing. Chinese regulators in particular typically have a reputation as being very conservative.
BbTrumpet likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I think consensus - or the appearance of consensus - is the means to restore public confidence. Uncompromised regulators...ones that weren't complicit in Boeing's self-audits of flying dynamics...should be consulted.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
How the Boeing 737 Max Disaster Looks to a Software Developer

Long but fascinating article by a pilot and software engineer that highlights the multiple failures in creation of the 737MAX.
Brilliant article, a must read. Thanks for finding.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Boeing waited until after Lion Air crash to tell Southwest safety alert was turned off on 737 Max

Southwest said Boeing told the airline that the disagree lights were inoperable only after the Lion Air crash. The airline subsequently took action to turn the alerts on.
​​​​​​​
LegalTender likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.