First time on WN-Question about FAs

Old Oct 25, 18, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
First time on WN-Question about FAs

Flown with WN for the first time today. Not gonna comment about the boarding or the lack of seat assignments. To each their own i guess.

However the FA on the flight was really unbelievably overweight (used an extender on the jump seat and took both front jump seats) and short (411). Im not here to offend anyone or judge anyone but i just would not have felt safe in case of an emergency. Not all jobs are created the same. I.e. not all of us are fit enough to be marathon runners. So my question is are there any FAA requirements for FAs and is WN more lenient then other carriers. Ive flown close to 4-5 million miles on different Star alliance airlines amongst countless other airlines and have never experienced a FA use a seat belt extender before.
Old Oct 25, 18, 5:47 pm

Need of a seat-belt extender may not be disqualifying.

Most airlines require you be able to fit through the smallest exit during training. Presumably without any late-career 're-qualifying.'

Old Oct 25, 18, 5:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Originally Posted by mdbe View Post
So my question is are there any FAA requirements for FAs ...?
Apparently not, and I guess it's due to anti-discrimination laws. I can't count the number of times I've seen WN ('cause that's all I really fly) FAs who can't move down an aisle w/o turning sideways. Were an accident to happen where we'd have to quickly evacuate I feel sorry for the folks trapped downstream of her (and yes, the seriously-obese ones are always female).
Old Oct 25, 18, 6:09 pm

<cough>
Old Oct 25, 18, 6:44 pm

There are actually, of course, many specific requirements as part of the Flight Attendant Appearance Standards. These include being able to walk down the aisle facing forward, and utilize the jump seat without any modifications.

It's clear, however, that these rules are not enforced.
Old Oct 25, 18, 7:12 pm

While in the Male uniform, only bronzer or a concealer may be worn that looks professional, conservative and complements the uniform and the Employees complexion.
Ah well damn ... <rips up FA application>
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 18, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Flown with WN for the first time today. Not gonna comment about the boarding or the lack of seat assignments. To each their own i guess.

However the FA on the flight was really unbelievably overweight (used an extender on the jump seat and took both front jump seats) and short (411). Im not here to offend anyone or judge anyone but i just would not have felt safe in case of an emergency. Not all jobs are created the same. I.e. not all of us are fit enough to be marathon runners. So my question is are there any FAA requirements for FAs and is WN more lenient then other carriers. Ive flown close to 4-5 million miles on different Star alliance airlines amongst countless other airlines and have never experienced a FA use a seat belt extender before.
I guess you could fly a legacy where some of the FAs appear to be in their 80s.
roundtree and rickg523 like this.
Old Oct 26, 18, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
...?! Or WN, where a few really seem to actually be
Old Oct 26, 18, 7:20 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Indeed, my last several flights on AA have felt more like the crypt keeper's children are serving beverages.
FrenchBullies1975 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 18, 8:33 am

... Im not here to offend anyone or judge anyone but i just would not have felt safe in case of an emergency...
You had the option of exiting the plane prior to the doors being shut. If you didn't feel safe why did you stay on the plane?
rickg523 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 18, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole View Post
You had the option of exiting the plane prior to the doors being shut. If you didn't feel safe why did you stay on the plane?
FA's buckling in usually indicates the boarding door is shut. Your option to exit has all but been foreclosed.

I gather if they can open the door and open the window exits, then they are good to go. Not saying it is right, or safe, but that is what it is. In an emergency it is their job to direct people what to do and where to go, they aren't going to carry people on their shoulders out of the plane.
Old Oct 26, 18, 10:51 am

However the FA on the flight was really unbelievably overweight (used an extender on the jump seat and took both front jump seats) and short (4’11’’).

Never on an Asian carrier. FAs appear the way I like them ^
Old Oct 26, 18, 5:43 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Troopers View Post

Never on an Asian carrier. FAs appear the way I like them ^
Old Oct 26, 18, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
FA's buckling in usually indicates the boarding door is shut. Your option to exit has all but been foreclosed.

I gather if they can open the door and open the window exits, then they are good to go. Not saying it is right, or safe, but that is what it is. In an emergency it is their job to direct people what to do and where to go, they aren't going to carry people on their shoulders out of the plane.
exactly. Them buckling in is usually indication that youre at the runway and ready to take off
Old Oct 26, 18, 7:49 pm
glg

Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
Ah well damn ... <rips up FA application>
This is you and your friends?
rickg523 and SJWarrior like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: