Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to watch a movie on an iPad on a Southwest plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Got a trip coming up and I want to watch a movie while flying. My issue is that when I use the tray table to support the ipad my neck get sore from staring down. I'm looking for suggestions on how to have the tablet at eye level without having to hold it there. Preferably something DIY but I'm open to spending money if its not to much.

On the same trip I'm returning on Frontier, so an option that would work with both airlines seats would be great.

An option good for reading would be awesome as well. I just hate bending my neck forward to entertain myself while flying.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:43 pm

My neighbor loves these:
Amazon Amazon
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
FWIW, I've randomly seen a "thing" on Amazon that anchors your tablet to the seatback; I have no idea of its usefulness or fitment, but I guess a search there isn't a bad start.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by PAX62
... or if you want a cheapie solution, these work well
+1 on that stand; before I switched to Samsung tablets (which have available cases that double as stands) I use to use one of these for years.

(For some reason it never dawned on me the OP was lying his tablet flat on the tray table.)
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAX62
Get a case that props it up as a stand...or if you want a cheapie solution, these work well:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ZT4VA0...540496550&sr=1
I've got a stand like that. The problem is the tray table is too low for me and I have to stare down and it makes my neck sore.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Troopers
That's a definite possibility but it's a little more than I want to spend. I might end up going with it though because the pictures show a southwest seat. I suspect it won't work with the new Frontier seats.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:05 pm

Are you very tall? (I only ask 'cause at 6'3" I'm watching my tablet from tray-table-level pretty much from the time I sit down but don't have any soreness)
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Are you very tall? (I only ask 'cause at 6'3" I'm watching my tablet from tray-table-level pretty much from the time I sit down but don't have any soreness)
Lucky you! I'm 6ft and it definitely makes my neck sore. I have to raise my head up every few minutes and it makes reading and video hard to do.

Check out this link. It's exactly what all the airlines need to add to their seats. It's perfect!
http://www.planetalking.co.uk/wp-con...let-holder.jpg
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:17 pm

That would be sweet, huh?!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:23 pm

I think CX and another airline have a device tray (separate from the main tray).
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

right now Frontier has a tray about the size of an ipad. You fold it down and there s a groove for the tablet bottom to rest in and the top leans against the seat. It works great but I would rather have the iPad at eye level.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
We watch movies all the time. Not sure of your situation, but if you recline your seat, it makes it worse on your neck.

We use the folding cover on ours and stand it up on the tray table. If you are sharing with someone, another options is to close the tray tables, and then wedge the cover behind the two folded tables. Puts it up higher, but you no longer have a tray table.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry

I’ve seen people use a plastic bag with a window cut in it and then hooked on he tray table latch I’ll look for a picture I’m sure someone has posted it

my first photo posting, somewhat of a disaster but you can get the idea

[img]blob:https://www.flyertalk.com/94addb67-1...d-c2850be8e068

Last edited by Jimmie Jet; Oct 26, 2018 at 1:34 am Reason: Picture
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by youranut
That's a definite possibility but it's a little more than I want to spend. I might end up going with it though because the pictures show a southwest seat. I suspect it won't work with the new Frontier seats.
How much are you willing to spend if $20 is too much to avoid a sore neck?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.