12k to CP - best way to get

Old Oct 25, 18, 9:05 am
Original Poster

12k to CP - best way to get

I am sitting at 98k points as I just got a business card. I wasn't even pondering CP until I saw how close I was. Any thoughts on how to get to CP before the end of the year that won't cost me $10k?
Old Oct 25, 18, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Check hotels through Southwest’s website. Plenty of bonuses up to 10k and maybe more.

I have not done this myself, but reports are that it works.

Or take a $1000 BS trip. Actually, less, because the purchase itself would earn 2x. More like $860.

Or just prepay as much of 2019 expenses as you can. Grocery gift cards, insurance, utilities, whatever.

Buy business inventory...
roundtree likes this.
Old Oct 25, 18, 10:21 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List
If you are a Costco shopper, buy Costco gift cards to use in the upcoming year. Costco trips add up quickly. So, the money will be spent anyway.
joshua362 and flyer4512 like this.
Old Oct 25, 18, 10:31 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
FLY. Book BS. If you're already booked on WGA or AT, rebook to BS. You'll earn 12k CPQP with just over $1,000 spend and you'll get to go places!
roundtree likes this.
Old Oct 25, 18, 2:56 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
FLY. Book BS. If you're already booked on WGA or AT, rebook to BS. You'll earn 12k CPQP with just over $1,000 spend and you'll get to go places!
This certainly is the cheapest method to go, unless one has 12K of spending already planned that could be moved to a SWA-branded card.
Old Oct 25, 18, 4:43 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by footeam View Post
I am sitting at 98k points as I just got a business card. I wasn't even pondering CP until I saw how close I was. Any thoughts on how to get to CP before the end of the year that won't cost me $10k?
I'm guessing you can't get a personal card right now ?

Buying gift cards ( Costco, etc with no fees) doesn't cost you anything as long as you have the $$ to float.

Buying flights, flowers, etc,etc cost you real $

BTW, Costco sells 50 roses with free delivery for $40 with 2 day shipping............FTD would charge $200 for similar roses

https://www.costco.com/50-stem-Bi-co...100371946.html
Old Oct 25, 18, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the hotel one. I can book a hotel in my town for this weekend and get 11k points for just under $400! I'm assuming I don't need to actually stay there since it's a prepaid, non-refundable rate - maybe I'll go have a free breakfast!
Old Oct 25, 18, 8:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the hotel one. I can book a hotel in my town for this weekend and get 11k points for just under $400! I'm assuming I don't need to actually stay there since it's a prepaid, non-refundable rate - maybe I'll go have a free breakfast!
My guess is that you do need to go and check in there.
Old Oct 25, 18, 9:11 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest

That also means any person can buy Companion pass for ~ 2 years for under $4K......
joshua362 likes this.

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 25, 18 at 9:25 pm
Old Oct 25, 18, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great!

Let us know if it works. Then post what hotel it is. And check in for sure.
Old Oct 26, 18, 6:24 am

It goes without saying to double check the type of points earned. Generally, the promotional bonuses don't count as CPQP, but the regular points earning does.
Old Oct 28, 18, 11:35 am

Does purchasing points from southwest work towards topping off the companion pass?
Old Oct 28, 18, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Durkin2255 View Post
Does purchasing points from southwest work towards topping off the companion pass?
No. But if you use the Southwest credit card, whatever you spend should give you 2x.

But I have never done it personally.
Old Oct 30, 18, 9:35 am

I got a companion pass off the shopping portal. Find a store with a huge turnover on points, buy a ton of stuff then sell it on facebook or craigslist. Get you right there in no time
Old Oct 30, 18, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by swstalker View Post
I got a companion pass off the shopping portal. Find a store with a huge turnover on points, buy a ton of stuff then sell it on facebook or craigslist. Get you right there in no time
Given the number of CPQP that the OP was short, it would be simpler (and probably cheaper) to just book a flight or a hotel.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: