Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long Pre TSA Lines at MDW

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Long Pre TSA Lines at MDW

Has anyone else noticed the long lines that form before the TSA security check. The actual hold up is the bomb sniffing dog and winding path to get to it. After that there are no lines at either the normal TSA check or the Pre Check lines. This morning at 6:00 am the lines snaked all the way to the CTA train station. It took me 20 minutes to get to the TSA. There has to be a better way to manage this added security check. It used to be enough to get to airport an hour before flight and still grab breakfast and board on time. This morning, I made it to the gate 5 minutes after boarding was supposed to start, but it hasn't started yet, so I was OK.

Last edited by Putnik; Oct 17, 2018 at 9:12 pm
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Yes, seen it a handful of times over the past 6 months-ish, which is now made worse by the construction. We usually see it after we land and are trying to walk to the orange line station to go home. The one time we got stuck in it flying out the line actually moved pretty quick, but it is a hassle for a few reasons and generally creates a ton of anxiety for the people in line.

Besides the obvious slow down...

-a lot of people can't believe it's actually the line so they walk past on the side. It's especially tough for DYKWIA types to comprehend that the line also applies to them but I tend to be pretty understanding in this situation because the time we ran into it, my first reaction was "Wait, this is for pre-check too!?!" and I felt a little DYKWIA guilt even though it seemed like a logical response.

-I've rarely seen them do a good job communicating what the situation is to all of the frustrated people in line

-the line often extends well past where people need to go to check in or check bags, which creates further issues/confusion

-sometimes the line initially doubles back on itself at the top of the ramp making it very hard to just leave the airport without looking like you are trying to cut into a line you don't want/need to be in.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by mpw81
-I've rarely seen them do a good job communicating what the situation is to all of the frustrated people in line
in.
Exactly. The only thing they communicate is don’t touch the dog. And they get very upset when confused people don’t do what they are expecting them to do. The whole thing is confusing and frustrating.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by lougord99

The whole thing is confusing and frustrating.
"We're from the government and we're here to help."
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:43 pm

Exactly. The only thing they communicate is don’t touch the dog. And they get very upset when confused people don’t do what they are expecting them to do. The whole thing is confusing and frustrating.
i think the frustration is better aimed at MDW vs TSA/LEO. They are there to do a job, not hold your hand thru the process. The airport, and not any particular airline, needs to have better traffic control and communication especially during those busy times.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by tusphotog
"We're from the government and we're here to help."
I don’t think TSA has ever claimed to be helping anyone.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by PlaneJane1
I think the frustration is better aimed at MDW vs TSA/LEO. They are there to do a job, not hold your hand thru the process. The airport, and not any particular airline, needs to have better traffic control and communication especially during those busy times.
I disagree. It’s TSA that decides to have a totally unworkable system of every person in a single line in an area that is nearly impossible to create a single line and then the next day to not have a single line and go back to the usual system that works just fine.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: DL GM, WN A+/CP, HH Diamond
Standing in this line now. It doesn't make sense, just a huge bottle neck. They seem to be metering the people going into the security checkpoint/screening area. And I can’t believe this dog is actually doing anything substantial for our safety.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Originally Posted by Buzzardgut
Standing in this line now. It doesn't make sense, just a huge bottle neck. They seem to be metering the people going into the security checkpoint/screening area. And I can’t believe this dog is actually doing anything substantial for our safety.

Probably more than the humans.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Buzzardgut
It doesn't make sense, just a huge bottle neck. They seem to be metering the people going into the security checkpoint/screening area.
Last time I ran into this at MDW (around 645a-700a) the big stanchion / rope area right before the checkpoint was being kept completely empty and TSA was backing everyone, Pre or no, up to the Orange Line station. It made absolutely no sense.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Ugh, good to know... I have a flight next week out of MDW and their security lines have been disasters for evening flights. Even better, not all of the security checkpoints are open at night but the lines are backed up.
Makes ORD look good!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:17 pm

TSA at MDW is well known for frequently tinkering with the layout of the security line, but the latest setup is by far the worst. Allow extra time.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: AAMastercard, ChaseSouthwest
Is this precheck too? Before my precheck, I was once in a long line, but took 8 minutes to get up to the dog.

Last edited by flyingill; Oct 19, 2018 at 5:34 am Reason: Add information
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Yes, Pre Check too, it took me 20 minutes to get to the dog.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I disagree. It’s TSA that decides to have a totally unworkable system of every person in a single line in an area that is nearly impossible to create a single line and then the next day to not have a single line and go back to the usual system that works just fine.
Originally Posted by BearX220
Last time I ran into this at MDW (around 645a-700a) the big stanchion / rope area right before the checkpoint was being kept completely empty and TSA was backing everyone, Pre or no, up to the Orange Line station. It made absolutely no sense.
The constant tinkering this year of the entire security area has yet to result in any improvements that I have seen. Hopefully the construction that is starting to ramp up there will help. As it is now, all bets are off whether the line will take ten minutes or an hour. Gotta love arriving comfortably early and finding the line moves at record speed for some reason and you're spent daydreaming for an extra 90 minutes at your gate... With poorer food options than we had last year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.