Wiki Posts
Search

Long Pre TSA Lines at MDW

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by lougord99
I disagree. It’s TSA that decides to have a totally unworkable system of every person in a single line in an area that is nearly impossible to create a single line and then the next day to not have a single line and go back to the usual system that works just fine.
100% correct. Thankfully did not experience this when we flew from MDW earlier this month, but I experienced the same mess firsthand at IAH Terminal E. The whole exercise is pointless, and I don't buy the nonsense that the dogs are there for explosive detection. It's a narco sniff pure and simple despite the protestations of our friends in the Security forums. A complete waste of time and very problematic for those of us who have pre-check and only factor a minimum amount of time for the checkpoint in our travel plans.

Not sure how this worked at MDW but at IAH the lines were 15-30m just to get past the dogs. Completely unacceptable.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Flew out of MDW this morning. The dog was there, but there were no lines. There was also a separate Pre Check line that bypassed the dog.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
So TSA is changing it around again. There was no separate pre line today, nor have I ever seen it. Today, everyone went past the dog, though at 6:30 am the line was almost non-existent.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
...though at 6:30 am the line was almost non-existent.
Wow, that's crazy good news! With my luck the line would be all the way back to the CTA station.

I wonder if it peaks somewhere around 6 or 5:45? I've been caught in that mess a few times.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So TSA is changing it around again. There was no separate pre line today, nor have I ever seen it. Today, everyone went past the dog, though at 6:30 am the line was almost non-existent.
I've never seen a separate precheck line at IAH, either. Everybody has to go single file past the dogs, which is why the lines are long. Idiotic and pointless.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:28 pm

I haven't seen a Precheck line that bypassed the dog for several weeks now, including today.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:59 pm

Came by here to see what the deal is with MDW and it's lines.

Starting to get frustrated, half the time the line is up the ramp and into the hallway to the parking garage. They seem to not care about TSA Pre-check, nor about priority lines. Southwest Announces they have a Fly By line at MDW, but they absolutely don't.

They don't do anything with pre-check or Fly By/Priority until you go through the huge line by the ramp, past the dogs, through the labyrinth, etc.

Why is this??
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by dbornack
Why is this??
Because TSA loves theater. ORD is just to big to create the best theater, but MDW is just the size they want to show that they are doing something. It is Sooooo ridiculous.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by dbornack
Came by here to see what the deal is with MDW and it's lines.

Southwest Announces they have a Fly By line at MDW, but they absolutely don't.
Actually, Southwest updated that information quite some time ago. They have a Fly-by Check-in Lane but do not have a Fly-by Security Lane.

​​​​​
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:27 am

Because TSA loves theater. ORD is just to big to create the best theater, but MDW is just the size they want to show that they are doing something. It is Sooooo ridiculous.
Indeed. If they tried something like this at O'Hare, there'd be bad press. They're probably banking on the national media not knowing just where the heck MDW is.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:15 pm

Hmmm. I had noticed this thread a few weeks ago; I'd flown out of Midway on business trips in August and September and not noticed a problem with lines, but we're leaving on a personal trip (!) tomorrow, 8pm flight, so I think we'll just allow lots of time just in case. At least there are some decent food options there now, like Big n Little's.

The problem that I always have with Midway is the very long time it takes to recover checked baggage, which when I'm traveling for work always includes cases of gear. I suppose it's the distance from the gates to the terminal and the necessity to cross Cicero, but still, it's a ridiculous amount of time, like 45 minutes. A baggage handler told me they're also short-staffed.

And don't get me started on the 'traffic support' out there, who seem trained to stand in the road and do everything they can to obstruct the safe and speedy flow of traffic.

I was just reminiscing with a friend about the 'old' Midway where you could park and walk in.

Ah well sorry to bring these other subjects up. Carry on!

Last edited by chicagoal; Nov 8, 2018 at 6:36 am
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:33 pm

Wife and I flew out of MDW 11/8, went through security at 6pm. No lines. Came back 11/13, mid-day. Saw no lines. I also did not experience lines flying out in early September or late August (just checked calendar), nor have I ever seen this bomb-sniffing dog there. I am not at all sure that this is a real problem any more.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by chicagoal
I am not at all sure that this is a real problem any more.
Yes it is.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:06 am

Yes it is.
And the fact that it varies so much from day to day (or from time to time during the day) is what makes it frustrating. Will it be an hour? Or just five minutes.... No way to know ahead of time.
lougord99 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:58 am

Last WED 11/7, 5am, regular line was extremely long, zig-zagged at least 4 times from the start of the line where the check-in kiosks used to be, to the TSA screening agents; back/forth/back/forth.

TSA precheck line was very short thankfully; didn't have to wait in the regular/long line

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.