Demolished bag on Southwest

Old Oct 15, 18, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Demolished bag on Southwest

My husband and I traveled on 9/11 to Nashville from Atlanta. On the return, his bag was torn up and the trim and tag were demolished. Both bags were black and and bought the same day. I have pictures and called about 9 am on 9/12. Southwest is citing its 4 hour claim window but even if we had noticed, there was no on in claims. Has anyone had this issue? I would at least like some reimbursement to get the bag stitched. It was an expensive model of Travel Pro and it look like it was caught on the conveyer. We use Southwest all the time and I am not happy.
Old Oct 15, 18, 10:18 am

Tweet them
Old Oct 15, 18, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by mphall View Post
My husband and I traveled on 9/11 to Nashville from Atlanta. On the return, his bag was torn up and the trim and tag were demolished. Both bags were black and and bought the same day. I have pictures and called about 9 am on 9/12. Southwest is citing its 4 hour claim window but even if we had noticed, there was no on in claims. Has anyone had this issue? I would at least like some reimbursement to get the bag stitched. It was an expensive model of Travel Pro and it look like it was caught on the conveyer. We use Southwest all the time and I am not happy.
Be aware, it could have happened with TSA also. Your bag travels along many conveyor belts with TSA during screening. Watch this video (this is an extreme example as it is a ATL, but still applies):
Old Oct 15, 18, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by NextTrip View Post
Be aware, it could have happened with TSA also. Your bag travels along many conveyor belts with TSA during screening. Watch this video (this is an extreme example as it is a ATL, but still applies):
So what?

WN, just like every other US carrier, accepts contractual responsibility for bags it checks. The language from the COC: If TSA damaged the bag, that is between WN and TSA and has nothing to do with OP or his claim.

Southwest Airlines' liability for lost, damaged, or delayed baggage is limited to $3,500.00 per fare-paying Customer.
Domestic itineraries: Southwest Airlines' liability in the case of lost, damaged, or delayed baggage is limited to $3,500.00 per fare-paying Customer.

As to the four hours, all you can do is "appeal" to WN on the grounds that there was nobody from WN to accept the claim. Saying that the bag was "demolished" and you did not notice, is a tough sell.

You may be better off with a claim to your travel insurance.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 18, 1:18 pm
Suspended

It may not be a WN issue..it COULD be, but it may also be an airport issue or a TSA issue.
Old Oct 15, 18, 4:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
That video said "[the system of 36 machines can screen] 8K bags/hr" ... at ATL?! Isn't that probably a fifth of the actual number of checked bags at an airport that size?
mphall likes this.
Old Oct 15, 18, 4:42 pm

Unless you file a report at the airport within 4 hours all baggage claims will be denied. Following up with Customer Relations (via Twitter is recommended) may gain a small voucher towards future travel.
Old Oct 15, 18, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist View Post
It may not be a WN issue..it COULD be, but it may also be an airport issue or a TSA issue.
It is 100% a WN issue. That is because WN, just like every other carrier, accepts responsibility for the bags it carries. For domestic flights, that is a contract term. For most international flights, it is under the Montreal Convention.

If TSA trashes the bag, if an airport employee runs it over, or if a bolt of lightening incinerates it, the claim is still against the carrier. How TSA and the carrier work it out is up to them, not the passenger.
Old Oct 15, 18, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA Exp
They maimed one of my bags at Midway, and handed me a new bag. Told me that was all I get. Mine was old-ish, new one was junk-ish. I used it until I got a new one.
Old Oct 16, 18, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by SJWarrior View Post
They maimed one of my bags at Midway, and handed me a new bag. Told me that was all I get. Mine was old-ish, new one was junk-ish. I used it until I got a new one.
Most carriers do this at large stations. If you consider that some significant percentage of bags are 22, 24, or 26" black rollers and that most people would prefer a new generic case to having the old one repaired, it makes sense.

You have, of course, an absolute right to refuse the offer and accept the FMV of your case. Howver, the fair market value of a 6-month used bag is not much compared to replacement.
Old Oct 18, 18, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
So what?
Boy, that's snotty and uncalled-for!
I was just trying to point out that baggage goes through a lot of handling by TSA, not just handled by an airline.
And BTW, this: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/2...s-3m/29353815/

Last edited by NextTrip; Oct 20, 18 at 4:04 pm
Old Oct 21, 18, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by SJWarrior View Post
They broke the handle off of my daughter's swap meet suitcase about eight years ago and the choice was a new bag or a $50 check. She took the check and bought another $30 suitcase at the swap meet.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Oct 21, 18, 2:05 pm

Just for future reference, if you bag is damaged, snap a pic of it on the claim belt. Try to include the belt display. If then, the claim office is closed, take another pic of your bag in front of the locked door. Call CS to initiate a damage claim and note the time in your conversation.
That 4 hour limitation, obviously meant to dissuade folks from getting home, unpacking, and then damaging their own bag (would anyone really do this?), is bogus if they aren't there to take the claim.
Just have proof of your attempt to make a claim within the 4 hours.
drooley likes this.
Old Oct 21, 18, 2:59 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
This advice and basically same goes for anything else photo of the full fuel tank with mileage and backdrop of location for a rental car, etc. can’t say I have experience on a damaged bag claim but yah pics. I actually thought the four hour rule was for theft claims, not damage. Just about every airport (maybe every airport) takes pics of bags along the way (also note you may have three or more systems tracking the bags at a single airport) one reason is for “security” but the real reason is for audit tracking (for instance weeding out a common point of issue or theft). Private users obviously don’t have to share the images with you (think UPS sorting or WN ) and while I’d think it would be subject to FOIA requests from Airport Authority or TSA I wouldn’t hold my breath...
Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
Just for future reference, if you bag is damaged, snap a pic of it on the claim belt. Try to include the belt display. If then, the claim office is closed, take another pic of your bag in front of the locked door. Call CS to initiate a damage claim and note the time in your conversation.
That 4 hour limitation, obviously meant to dissuade folks from getting home, unpacking, and then damaging their own bag (would anyone really do this?), is bogus if they aren't there to take the claim.
Just have proof of your attempt to make a claim within the 4 hours.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 18, 3:29 pm

The four hour rule is for baggage loss, damage or delay. Theft claims are automatically denied; Southwest takes no responsibility for any items stolen from your luggage (unless it's lost, damaged or delayed).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: