Community
Wiki Posts
Search

seat saving

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by nsx
Just say that you are claiming the extra seat in Southwest's Spartan tradition.
THIS.

IS.

SouthWEST!!!!!

<kicks guy trying to take an empty middle out of the overwing exit>
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:10 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
THIS.

IS.

SouthWEST!!!!!

<kicks guy trying to take an empty middle out of the overwing exit>
Southwest is the one airline on which passengers killed a guy who was trying to break into the cockpit. Pre-2001, no less.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
Southwest is the one airline on which passengers killed a guy who was trying to break into the cockpit. Pre-2001, no less.
My heart bleeds.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Troopers
No, I wouldn't (nor would I have if I had A49)...I don't care if I have to sit a few rows back from my desired row/seat but it's still a piss-poor non-policy IMO. This thread is not specific to me, you or any other individual. This thread is about how it affects all WN passengers...passengers from A3 up to A1's companion may complain.
Okay. But now it's simply an argument about a particular carrier's seating policy. I don't mind it. You object. I despise BA not letting paid Club World passengers select seats at ticket purchase. They open seat selection for people paying thousands of dollars for a flight at 7 days before departure, unless a substantial extra fee is paid, so their elites get all the good seats. Crazy, right? In essence, BA is seat saving a whole cabin.
Like WN's, this is an outlier policy. And it's a strong reason - there are a few more - why BA gets none of my business. There are other carriers with policies that suit me better (better food too ).
I've said it many times before. Courses for horses. If WN irritates you to the extent that you go into a mathematical analysis of the effect of a coat on an unoccupied seat.... you really need to find another carrier.
Fly Happy. It's your choice.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Except for the pre-boards (including fakers and entourage), A Listers boarding after A 61, families boarding with children (often over 6) people who need "a little more time to board".
But that honors the proper boarding order. It's not line jumping ahead of people either at the line or on the plane via saving.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by justhere
No kidding. Trying to juggle too many balls.

So I'll try to keep this simple so as not to confuse myself. If a saved seat doesn't affect anybody how is that lacking common courtesy or proper etiquette? You cannot assume that the saver knows anything, let alone that he has screwed other passengers. Not every saver purchases EBCI. Not every companion doesn't check in at T-24. I'm just as guilty of this as anyone else but we've not only gone down the rabbit hole on this, we've branched into many tunnels. Back above ground, my sole point in all of this is not that seat saving is right or wrong. Not that there is or isn't a policy. It is simply that you cannot make blanket statements such as the ones of yours that I've quoted in this post (trying to make sure I've got my quotes right ). There are too many variables in terms of saver and companions boarding numbers. Type of seat saved. How they go about saving it. Who is and who is not affected by it.​
Using your line of thinking (that someone needs to be affected)...when you save a seat, you don't know if anybody is affected. Since you don't know, you don't do it...that's common courtesy/proper etiquette.

It was A16 in post 196, not A15. And really the exact number is not the point. That's semantics. The point was that not everyone was affected by someone saving a seat.
No, it's not semantics when the discussion resolves around individuals, A15 is not A16.

Correct. No meaningful difference. If I'm B47 how would C2 and C25 board ahead of me? Their seats are being saved but they aren't boarding ahead of me. The example was, IIRC, that they cut in line while boarding. Eh, I probably wouldn't say anything to the FA but I would say something to the seat savers. I'd say "hey, I was nice enough to let you cut in front of the line so you could sit with your companion but fair's fair, there are no other window/aisle seats, would you mind moving as you should have boarded behind me?" They are either going to move or they aren't. Just because they ended up being aholes doesn't mean I need to be one. I might though have a few choice words for them. Not B47 but sometimes A61+++ and depending on the through count that can be a challenge.
You're cool with line cutting, thanks.

However, I've saved a seat several times for someone in the C group and no one asked to sit in it (middle seat). Small sample size but you would think if seat saving truly was a big deal that at least once someone would have asked. That's why I don't think it's that big of a deal. Well that and the fact that there just aren't that many complaints compared to how many complaints there should be if it was a big deal on just about every flight
How many more complaints are needed for it to be a big deal?

And just to be clear, if I set my headphone case and notepad down on a seat while I'm getting my other items out of my carryon that I want on the flight and stowing my carry on and getting my self situated and a couple dozen people walk by my row, have I saved that seat or not? I'm not travelling with anyone but I have something on it. I have no intention of saving the seat. Perhaps I don't even know about seat saving or I've never heard about it. I'm just an average traveler. Based on what I've read in these posts, I believe that because I put something on the seat, even though no one asked, I've saved the seat. Therefore I'm discourteous, lack etiquette, and am a douch*ag?? Wow, and all I did was set my headphone case down next to me while I got myself situated. Who knew!
Sure, a few people could mistakenly assume you were saving a seat. No question about it, mistakes happen. It would be apparent to me that you were doing as you described and not saving a seat. I think you fly enough to be able to spot someone getting situated versus pretending to in hopes of discreetly saving a seat.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by rickg523
Okay. But now it's simply an argument about a particular carrier's seating policy. I don't mind it. You object. I despise BA not letting paid Club World passengers select seats at ticket purchase. They open seat selection for people paying thousands of dollars for a flight at 7 days before departure, unless a substantial extra fee is paid, so their elites get all the good seats. Crazy, right? In essence, BA is seat saving a whole cabin.
Like WN's, this is an outlier policy. And it's a strong reason - there are a few more - why BA gets none of my business. There are other carriers with policies that suit me better (better food too ).
I've said it many times before. Courses for horses. If WN irritates you to the extent that you go into a mathematical analysis of the effect of a coat on an unoccupied seat.... you really need to find another carrier.
Fly Happy. It's your choice.
The discussion has always been about WN's seat-saving non-policy. I agree with you...I don't like it (but tolerate it) and you don't like it. Unfortunately (or is it fortunately) I don't fly BA to speak about it's policy. WN doesn't irritate me enough to fly another airlines yet (I was close after 2016 Chernobyl). I fly WN when it suits my needs...thanks for your wise words though. FT is (primarily) a customer to customer discussion board where posters exchange ideas...if you or others can't tolerate opposing views and experiences, don't respond and walk away from the keyboard.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Using your line of thinking (that someone needs to be affected)...when you save a seat, you don't know if anybody is affected. Since you don't know, you don't do it...that's common courtesy/proper etiquette.
Next you'll be having me hold the door open even though no one else is trying to enter the building. It is, after all, common courtesy/proper etiquette to hold the door open. Or to be less facetious, holding the door open for someone who is 50 yards away even though I have no idea if they are even coming in this particular door. You have to draw the line somewhere and it doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition. In addition to common courtesy, common sense has to come into play as well. If I'm saving a middle seat towards the middle/back of the plane, the odds are I'm not going to offend anyone. I might, because, well some people seem to be offended by just about anything. But I honestly do try to be mindful and courteous and wouldn't consider saving a window or aisle or bulkhead or exit row so I'm quite comfortable saving that middle knowing that the odds are I'm not going to affect anyone.
No, it's not semantics when the discussion resolves around individuals, A15 is not A16.
Does it revolve around individuals? I'm thinking that if it does we are not seeing the big picture. It's semantics because it wasn't about whether it was A15 or A16. I can retype the example with A15 if it'll help. It was about demonstrating that not every passenger is affected by a seat saver and not every passenger has their boarding number bumped down.
You're cool with line cutting, thanks.
You are very welcome. Anything else I can do for you? Under the circumstances I outlined, yes I'm cool with that. In other circumstances I might not be. It just depends. You know, kind of like it depends on who saves a seat, which seat is saved, etc, as to whether or not it matters or makes a difference.
How many more complaints are needed for it to be a big deal?
I don't know. I don't have access to WN's customer service metrics. If I had to guess I would say about 4,000 per day. That's assuming that every flight currently averages 2 complaints and it would need to be 3 complaints. Although I think the current average is less than 2 but I'll say two so as not to minimize the issue. However if you go by enplanements, I would think maybe 12,000 per day. Based on going from 2% of the passengers to 5%. Based on July 2018's numbers and based on a total number of complaints in the 2% range. We know that not all complaints are about seat saving and we know that not everyone that has an issue with a saved seat complains. So I'll just go with the total complaints. Source.
Sure, a few people could mistakenly assume you were saving a seat. No question about it, mistakes happen. It would be apparent to me that you were doing as you described and not saving a seat. I think you fly enough to be able to spot someone getting situated versus pretending to in hopes of discreetly saving a seat.
But that wasn't really the question. Has it not been categorically stated that putting something on the seat is an act of saving it? Has it not been categorically stated that seat savers are selfish, ahole, dbags? What I'm hearing you say here is that it depends on the circumstances. Which, if that is what you are saying, I totally agree. It depends on the circumstances. In some circumstances people saving seats are what they are made out to be here. In other circumstances they are not. And IMHO there are far more "other" circumstances than there are "some" circumstances. (Also, thanks for letting me know that my "getting myself together" act works!! Just kidding.)
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:35 pm

Southwest airlines seat saving

If saving a seat next to you and someone asks or trys to take it just tell them that the person is using the bathroom. So tough luck if they do not like it.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by 315sierra
If saving a seat next to you and someone asks or trys to take it just tell them that the person is using the bathroom. So tough luck if they do not like it.
Hmmm.... some of us were brought up to tell the truth.

If your friend/companion is in the bathroom, then that’s one thing. But I’m amazed that people would be willing to sell their integrity for a seat on an airplane.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:16 pm

And that lie probably doesn't stop some folks for sitting in that seat
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
This thread has had a half year hiatus. Must mean the Kettles are back.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
The poster that brought it back to life has two posts. One here and one on support animals. LOL!
kennycrudup and steved5480 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:29 pm

saving seats

Originally Posted by twitch76
Hmmm.... some of us were brought up to tell the truth.

If your friend/companion is in the bathroom, then that’s one thing. But I’m amazed that people would be willing to sell their integrity for a seat on an airplane.
Good point. Answer depends on the person's attitude with me. They get the bathroom answer if they are being an a-hole. They get the seat is being saved if they are nice. I fly twice per month on SW. I do sit about mid way down or further back in the plane. That way folks who really need to sit up front that might be trying to catch a connection can get off faster. Wife always gets b or c. I sit in aisle save the middle. Then when she is walking down the aisle and she sees me, iI then move over to the middle. seat.

Last edited by ftnoob; Mar 11, 2019 at 3:37 pm Reason: fix markup
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:32 pm

animals

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
The poster that brought it back to life has two posts. One here and one on support animals. LOL!
i do not support animals of any kind on the plane. All of them should go in the cargo hold. (unless your legally blind, but size of dog has to be restricted for safety issues. Dog only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.