Community
Wiki Posts
Search

seat saving

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
So true.

There is no policy. But, some folks want to beat it to death, over and over and over and over.

Southwest continues to be the most flown domestic airline, but too many folks seem to miss that fact.
That doesn't mean a sizable segment of Southwest’s fliers wouldn't prefer simply knowing where to go upon stepping through the aircraft’s doors.

It means maintaining the "contrarian" image masks all shortcomings. 15 million show up every day.

WiFi can suck until we're blue in the face.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL GM/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I knew I shouldn’t have opened this thread. Everyone knows we are talking about an airline that only has economy seats, right?
Thank you.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I knew I shouldn’t have opened this thread. Everyone knows we are talking about an airline that only has economy seats, right?
And miss out on all this fun??
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by justhere
You've done a marvelous job of describing how to calculate a percentage. That's not probability theory. You could turn this into a probability problem but the sample size isn't really large enough. And even then, what you would end up with is a probability number that someone wants a seat that someone is saving. What you won't have is whether they are affected by it or not. Your explanation has a built in bias that everyone dislikes seat saving and that they care about it. You have no way of knowing that. So congrats if you can figure out the true probability of someone wanting a seat that is saved. That number, somewhere between 0 and 1, and $0.99 will get you a big gulp at Circle K.
Read my post again. Clearly you do not understand probability theory. I do.

When you have

n passengers being shooed away

out of m passengers who board after you but before your companion, then the probability that any one passenger gets screwed over by your selfish actions is n/m.

There is simply no way you can argue away this simple and undeniable FACT.

I wrote it this way because the seat saving defenders say "well some people don't want to sit in your saved seat", which is true, and that is why I said n passengers out of m total. No, it's not 100% (unless every single person wants to sit there, which I realize doesn't happen). But to claim it's zero is also not realistic. Exactly what it is we don't know. To quantify n and m we would have to do a survey. But it is NOT ZERO.

Seat saving is cutting the line. If someone cuts in front of you but sits somewhere where you didn't want to, fine. But if someone cuts the line and does sit somewhere where you want to, that is a problem. It certainly doesn't benefit anyone that you cut in front of. It's a selfish thing to do.

I have had enough of this topic because no matter how many times I try to explain it, even with the math above, you people still refuse to believe that seat saving is line cutting. Fine, be that way. I give up!

Seat saving is LINE CUTTING PERIOD, END OF STORY.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Real world example. Saturday night We flew. I has A-23 they had A-33. I took my favorite row nine no window seat, because I like to sleep. They showed up 10 people max behind me and sat in the middle I was saving. Then my no one even noticed. They she moved to the aisle and no one sat between us.

This is is a word problem. How many people were affected?

A.) 1
B.) 100
C.) none
D.) none of the above
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
How about this. Let's say i agree with everything you've said about probability, etc, etc. So seat saving is line cutting. So what? WN allows it (seat saving) so I'm not doing anything that I'm not entitled to do. I'm not using more seats than I've paid for. I'm not asking WN to fly me for free. It's not my responsibility took make sure other customers feel like they got good value for their money. I'm polite, understanding, and agreeable. If someone wants the seat I'm saving, they can have it, more power to them.

If someone feels like they can't ask me to move my jacket or tell me that they'd like to sit there, well that's their hang up, not mine. I'm not saving bulkhead or exit rows. I'm not being greedy. I'm not being selfish. And more importantly, I'm not being judgemental about anyone as long as they are following the rules.

Some seat savers will, no doubt, be rude and inconsiderate. But you know what, some non-savers will also be rude and inconsiderate when they block the aisle and take their sweet-a$$ time to sit down or get off the plane. Or when they keep grabbing the seat back in front of them when they get up or sit down, etc,etc. So it takes all sorts to make a world. So what? It's really not worth worrying about.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I agree. Seat-savers, IMHO, are stealing and Southwest does not care.

My solution, for almost three years, has been to NOT fly Southwest. However, to get a non-stop at my strongly preferred time and avoid an additional night in a hotel, I did book a flight on Southwest for Dec 6th. I paid for EBCI for both of us. We prefer the LUV seat; if not available, we'll just both take aisle seats toward the front of plane. We'll survive, but Southwest continues to be our last choice due to lack of seat assignments, cattle-call boarding and seat-saving scum. This is simply my opinion based on my preferences and experiences. Others are welcome to do what works for them.
Kevin AA and Proudelitist like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Not everyone cares that some seats are saved. So each flight is going to generally be different in terms of how many people are truly affected by any seat saving. The people are the variables. As I said, to say unequivocally that a saved seat causes everyone behind to suffer a devaluation has too many variables to be true. Some people may suffer a devaluation but some may not.

Your mistake is suggesting that someone has to be aware of it to be affected. It does't work like that. You are impacted even if you are unaware of it.

Your BP drops back 1 position for each seat saved between you and the savee. Even if you don't know it does, it still impacts your BP position, removing one option. A person could be blissfully unaware of it, yet still had their available options drop.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by SJWarrior
Real world example. Saturday night We flew. I has A-23 they had A-33. I took my favorite row nine no window seat, because I like to sleep. They showed up 10 people max behind me and sat in the middle I was saving. Then my no one even noticed. They she moved to the aisle and no one sat between us.

This is is a word problem. How many people were affected?

A.) 1
B.) 100
C.) none
D.) none of the above
Apples to Oranges. You saved one middle seat in an undesirable non-exit row/first row set of seats. No one snagged the aisle and you got the row to yourselves. Now if you were saving two rows of seats or saving a seat in the first row/exit row, that would be a different story.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Your mistake is suggesting that someone has to be aware of it to be affected. It does't work like that. You are impacted even if you are unaware of it.

Your BP drops back 1 position for each seat saved between you and the savee. Even if you don't know it does, it still impacts your BP position, removing one option. A person could be blissfully unaware of it, yet still had their available options drop.
Sorry. Doesn't work that way for ME. When I get on the plane, I can sit in any seat. If someone "tries" to save it by saying "sorry, that's saved", I can always choose to ignore him and just say "sorry, that's mine now." And sorry for whoever doesn't get his way. A lot of sorry's in this thread, but I'm not sorry you feel that way. I don't even care, as long as I can sit where I want.
Sorry.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Sorry. Doesn't work that way for ME.
Sorry.
No. It does. Your BP still drops back one even if you don't mind.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by GottaLuvCruising
I agree. Seat-savers, IMHO, are stealing and Southwest does not care.

My solution, for almost three years, has been to NOT fly Southwest. However, to get a non-stop at my strongly preferred time and avoid an additional night in a hotel, I did book a flight on Southwest for Dec 6th. I paid for EBCI for both of us. We prefer the LUV seat; if not available, we'll just both take aisle seats toward the front of plane. We'll survive, but Southwest continues to be our last choice due to lack of seat assignments, cattle-call boarding and seat-saving scum. This is simply my opinion based on my preferences and experiences. Others are welcome to do what works for them.
WN doesn't work for you. Absolutely respect why that is regardless of whether I agree or not. But under no definition does saving a seat on WN equate to stealing. And you don't know that WN doesn't care. They may just care more about what their customer service metrics tell them than what some people think about seat saving.

Two things. I was referring to devaluation so I apologize if that got lost in all the posts somewhere. Maybe it wasn't you that said it but it has been stated that every saved seat causes a devaluation to those behind the seat saver. I was saying that depending on a number of variables some people may not have their purchase devalued. If they got the seat they wanted, it doesn't matter how many fewer options they had, they got their first choice and would likely feel like they got good value for money.

The other thing is, and I again apologize if it wasn't you that said it, however it has also been stated that a seat isn't saved unless someone asks to sit in it. You can't have it both ways. If someone is impacted even if they are unaware of someone saving a seat, how can you also argue that a seat isn't saved unless someone asks to sit in it? In other words, according to what I've quoted, if I save a seat then I've affected other passengers even if they aren't aware that I've affected them. However if no one asks to sit there, your claim is that it wasn't saved. If it wasn't saved, then how can someone be affected by something that didn't happen? I think it's a stretch to claim that when someone doesn't do anything differently than what they would have done anyway, that they are somehow affected or impacted.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:12 pm

No. It does. Your BP still drops back one even if you don't mind.
It only drops back one if you were going to sit in the "saved " seat.

The one time I forgot to purchase EBCI for my wife I saved her a middle seat.

Plenty of people save middle seats.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyer4512
It only drops back one if you were going to sit in the "saved " seat.

The one time I forgot to purchase EBCI for my wife I saved her a middle seat.

Plenty of people save middle seats.
No, it drops back 1 position no matter what seat you wanted, with your available options dropped by 1.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:36 am
Suspended

how can you also argue that a seat isn't saved unless someone asks to sit in it? In other words, according to what I've quoted, if I save a seat then I've affected other passengers even if they aren't aware that I've affected them. However if no one asks to sit there, your claim is that it wasn't saved. If it wasn't saved, then how can someone be affected by something that didn't happen? I think it's a stretch to claim that when someone doesn't do anything differently than what they would have done anyway, that they are somehow affected or impacted.
Because you are not saving it unless you try to prevent someone from sitting in it, which means someone asked. Otherwise, you are just hoping nobody sits there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.