Community
Wiki Posts
Search

seat saving

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:48 am

Fear of losing open seating leaves people squarely in one camp or the other.

Flying <2 hours routinely, seat saving is both less consequential and less common. You're conditioned to disregard seat savers if you board early as a freebie. Paying extra makes it conspicuous.
nsx and joshua362 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by justhere
Relative to the number of enplanements each and every day where people are quite happy with the seat they got, it's not an issue.

With that logic, cancer, aviation incidents, murders, etc are not an issue.

Relative to the population on this planet, each and every day where people are cancer free, it's not an issue.
Relative to the number of enplanements each and every day where people are quite happy arriving safely at their destination, aviation incidents are not an issue.
Relative to the population on this planet, each and every where people are not murdered, it's not an issue.

See what I did here? Your logic is flawed.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Troopers

Relative to the population on this planet, each and every day where people are cancer free, it's not an issue.
Relative to the number of enplanements each and every day where people are quite happy arriving safely at their destination, aviation incidents are not an issue.
Relative to the population on this planet, each and every where people are not murdered, it's not an issue.

Odd...I fly WN 2-4x weekly and out of curiosity I have recently asked several FAs if this is really an issue. Universal answer: no.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Odd...I fly WN 2-4x weekly and out of curiosity I have recently asked several FAs if this is really an issue. Universal answer: no.
An issue for who? The passengers or the FAs? And how do you define an issue?

Seat saving is not an issue for an FA until seat saving results in them getting involved (eg. a confrontation which is rare).
Seat saving is possibly an issue for a passenger when their preferred seat is saved.

ETA: since you fly WN 2-4x weekly (solo as a A-lister?), try this experiment: take the aisle seat and save the adjacent two seats. Insist the seats are saved and closely observe their reaction. Then give up the seats to two pax who boards near the end. Pls report back
GottaLuvCruising likes this.

Last edited by Troopers; Oct 11, 2018 at 10:55 am
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by smmrfld

As a customer, I went up to a representative of a company and asked if there were any problems with the company...oddly, the answer was no!
Tanic and dmbolp like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
How many people have to be unhappy for it to be an issue?
Apparently 1 as long as it's you. However a company that has millions of enplanements is unlikely to change a policy over a few disgruntled customers when the vast majority don't really care.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Oct 11, 2018 at 2:46 pm
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite

My logic isn't flawed. Your understanding of logic does seem to be suspect though. You've used a faulty comparison or false equivalent.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:35 pm

My logic isn't flawed. Your understanding of logic does seem to be suspect though. You've used a faulty comparison or false equivalent.
Your statement/logic was solely based on the frequency of an event occurring, ignoring the consequence of the event or not occuring. I did the same.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Your statement/logic was solely based on the frequency of an event occurring, ignoring the consequence of the event or not occuring. I did the same.
Logical arguments don't necessarily work that way. You are comparing completely different things and equating that to what I said. In terms of logical arguments that is a logical fallacy. In simple terms it's like saying that my logic was "a=b" and yours was "c=d" and then saying "therefore a and c are equal as well as b and d because the mathematical structure was the same". It's a false equivalence.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Apparently 1 as long as it's you. However a company that has millions of enplanements is unlikely to change a policy over a few disgruntled customers when the vast majority don't really care.
There is no way to really tell if people care or not, and responses will run across the spectrum. Some won't notice. Some won't care, some will but it will be forgotten in a few minutes, some will dwell on it, some will be royally screwed by it and get angry...and even some of those angry ones won't go as far as to make a statement or a post on the internet. The statement that the majority don't care however is an assumption, and should not be taken as a statement of fact.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:55 pm

There is no way to really tell if people care or not, and responses will run across the spectrum. Some won't notice. Some won't care, some will but it will be forgotten in a few minutes, some will dwell on it, some will be royally screwed by it and get angry...and even some of those angry ones won't go as far as to make a statement or a post on the internet. The statement that the majority don't care however is an assumption, and should not be taken as a statement of fact.
True, but the evidence points to that assumption being correct.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:59 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
I had a 3 year hiatus before I started flying frequently again. It seems the seat saving situation on my short little flight has gotten much, much worse during that time.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: MPC Green
It really sucks until you want to do it.

Drop Mic.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:41 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
As a customer, I went up to a representative of a company and asked if there were any problems with the company...oddly, the answer was no!
As a taxpayer, I went up to an Army private and asked if there were any problems with the Army. Oddly, the answer was yes!
joshua362 and TSparky like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:42 am

True, but the evidence points to that assumption being correct.
Even here the evidence points to only a few of the same people obsessing over seat saving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.