seat saving

Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LegalTender
The same link has a mirror survey. Fliers nominate their favorite things about SWA. Open seating fans are MIA.

Impossible to know as it wasn't asked.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:40 am

No evidence either way. Maybe it had fractional support. The online return, in any case, was ~500, less than half the "annoyed" return.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:23 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by justhere
Impossible to know as it wasn't asked.

Take a look at the number of responses.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LegalTender
No evidence either way. Maybe it had fractional support. The online return, in any case, was ~500, less than half the "annoyed" return.
Annoyed always outpolls happy. It's a commonly heard refrain by committed FFs whenever their chosen carrier is complained about.
Another thing commonly posted is that if passengers really don't like {name your favorite carrier} they wouldn't fly it so much.
joshua362 and LegalTender like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
Take a look at the number of responses.
I did. It's kind of irrelevant for both polls as they are asking leading questions.
Originally Posted by rickg523
Annoyed always outpolls happy. It's a commonly heard refrain by committed FFs whenever their chosen carrier is complained about.
Another thing commonly posted is that if passengers really don't like {name your favorite carrier} they wouldn't fly it so much.
It's not so much that it's commonly heard as it is a fact of doing business in many large companies. Generally as a percentage, more unhappy customers out of all unhappy customers complain, than do happy customers out of all happy customers give compliments.

WN is boarding over 11 million passengers a month. Even if 100,000 per day were affected by seat saving and 46% complained (percentage from the poll), that's about 0.1% of passengers. And the odds are that there aren't 100,000 per day. WN customer satisfaction does fluctuate but it's been it's highest in the last almost 30 years during the EBCI period. The time period when seat saving is most likely to have occurred.
kennycrudup and rickg523 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:06 pm

To repeat, the poll didn't mention seat saving. It asked about annoyances flying Southwest, and nearly half of respondents said that open seating was their biggest.

If it were a transparent hit - more than an annoyance - testimonials and focus-tested ads would almost certainly follow.

I'm largely unaffected by seat savers, sitting as I do in the rear of the plane. But the injured and peeved in the debate are dismissed at actual peril.

​​
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:57 am
Suspended

Even if we assume that the number of seat saving complaints is a small percentage of the number of people who know they have been affected by a seat saver, the number affected is still statistically minimal compared to the number of enplanements.

It's not much of a stretch then to say that most people aren't affected.

Even the poll that was just posted provides some indication of this. The poll is skewed because it is only asking about complaints so people who don't have one of those complaints aren't likely to respond. It also presents the seat saving question as the first question. However, taking the numbers as meaningful, less than half of customer complaints are about seat saving and that's only based on the few complaints offered.

But if you then assume that 50% of all complaints are about seat saving (which the odds are that it isn't that high) that's still a very small number compared to the number of enplanements.
Following that logic, we needn't do anything about murder either. According the the WHO, approximately 325, 000 known murders took place worldwide in 2012. This is only the known ones of course, we can imagine that say, another 100k of them are as yet unknown/undiscovered/still considered missing persons/misinterpreted deaths. Sounds horrible. Of course, in a world of 7.4 billion, the amount of us murdered is somewhere under 0.3%
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The Survey had only 1,200 responses.
Not revealed, unfortunately, is how many times did Proudelitist answer the survey?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Following that logic, we needn't do anything about murder either. According the the WHO, approximately 325, 000 known murders took place worldwide in 2012. This is only the known ones of course, we can imagine that say, another 100k of them are as yet unknown/undiscovered/still considered missing persons/misinterpreted deaths. Sounds horrible. Of course, in a world of 7.4 billion, the amount of us murdered is somewhere under 0.3%
"How to tell when someone has nothing left to defend their point" by Proudelitist. Soon to be a best seller.

This has already been brought up in this thread. You can't compare murder to seat saving and it most certainly doesn't follow my logic. In logic terms you've used a false comparison.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:37 pm

These threads don't resolve anything. No one changes their view.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Oct 18, 2018 at 9:46 am
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Thesevthreads don't resolve anything. No one changes their view.
i know but it's like an addiction and I can't help myself.
nsx likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:38 am
Suspended

"How to tell when someone has nothing left to defend their point" by Proudelitist. Soon to be a best seller.

This has already been brought up in this thread. You can't compare murder to seat saving and it most certainly doesn't follow my logic. In logic terms you've used a false comparison.
Murder is not the issue. The issue is that even fractional issues matter. If they didn't, why seek a cure for cancer? Why bother preventing head on collisions? The logic I disagree with is that seat saving is insignificant given the number of flights and pax each day, simply because it is a small fraction.
Troopers likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Murder is not the issue. The issue is that even fractional issues matter. If they didn't, why seek a cure for cancer? Why bother preventing head on collisions?
I reckon because most people value life more than minor irritants and inconveniences that are quickly gotten over (for most)?
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
I reckon because most people value life more than minor irritants and inconveniences that are quickly gotten over (for most)?
The evidence here suggest otherwise..take a look.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Troopers
The evidence here suggest[s] otherwise
Eh ... once people got over the ridiculousness of it all you'll notice there hasn't been a peep about it since change has taken effect (unlike the zillion stupid threads created by people who can't sit further back than Row 15).

BTW, the "Law of Unintended Consequences" strikes again- there's a gallon-sized Ziploc in my laptop bag half-full of mixed nuts and peanuts (and only resist the urge to P-Touch "BerenErchamion" onto the bag only 'cause nobody would ever get the joke); if the goal was to reduce or eliminate the number of peanuts on the planes* they hadn't succeeded, as I'm not the only one bringing their own now, and in much larger sizes than the original bags.

* - I still say this was 'cause someone sued 'em, and/or they just did the math and didn't want to be a litigation target
joshua362 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.