SW Companion Program...

Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None
These comments have all been helpful. Timing is everything on this to maximize it... so I will apply for the two cards in November... spend the majority before Jan 1 and reach the spend total in January. Should work out well.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by JackHenry
These comments have all been helpful. Timing is everything on this to maximize it... so I will apply for the two cards in November... spend the majority before Jan 1 and reach the spend total in January. Should work out well.
You want to spend it ALL so that ALL the points post in 2019..........that will give you 103K Companion pass points, any $$ you spend that posts in 2018 will not count.

You can apply now for the cards if you want, may as well get the business card now as the bonus has never been higher than 60K but has been as low as 50K and may drop back to 50K as people start applying to get CP fro 2019/2020
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
WARNING
WARNING
WARNING

Any spend that hits on or before the last statement in December will be points for 2018. Any spend on the January statement including reaching the bonus will count as 2019. "Spend points" and "bonus points" are two different things though they all count towards CP - but only in the current year.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Worth it? Yes, 100% yes, given that you're talking about the credit card signup route.

Only question to ask yourself is timing. When I got CP's in the past, I tried to time them ahead of a year when I knew I'd have a lot of U.S. domestic travel. I've gone both the credit card and hotel point route. Now the hotel point route has been closed, and credit card signup bonuses are throttled over time. (e.g., You can't unlimited-churn new bonuses every two years.)

In other words, if you've never had Chase WN cards, then yes you should totally do it. The only question is: if you get the points to land in January 2019, are you ready to make 2019 and 2020 pretty heavy travel years in Southwest's (rather limited) route map?

My current CP expires Dec 2018, and my 2019 personal plans are already mostly booked for Europe and Asia. It won't be a big U.S. travel year for me. 2020 might be more, so I may make a run at a CP then. I held the Chase WN Visa many years ago but have not churned Chase products in a long time. I'd have to research what I'm eligible for now.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Worth it? Yes, 100% yes, given that you're talking about the credit card signup route.

Only question to ask yourself is timing. When I got CP's in the past, I tried to time them ahead of a year when I knew I'd have a lot of U.S. domestic travel. I've gone both the credit card and hotel point route. Now the hotel point route has been closed, and credit card signup bonuses are throttled over time. (e.g., You can't unlimited-churn new bonuses every two years.)

In other words, if you've never had Chase WN cards, then yes you should totally do it. The only question is: if you get the points to land in January 2019, are you ready to make 2019 and 2020 pretty heavy travel years in Southwest's (rather limited) route map?

My current CP expires Dec 2018, and my 2019 personal plans are already mostly booked for Europe and Asia. It won't be a big U.S. travel year for me. 2020 might be more, so I may make a run at a CP then. I held the Chase WN Visa many years ago but have not churned Chase products in a long time. I'd have to research what I'm eligible for now.
Companion pass is likely to change in the coming year(s) be it more than 110K points needed, only good the year you earn it or even that credit card sign up bonuses no longer count.

Come 2020 ( or even 2019) rules could change and given the changes we have seen from Chase, Barclay and Amex the past year or so I would bet CP becomes more difficult to attain via credit cards

Even if you don't have much travel planned for 2019 you still get the points and also restart the clock ( 24 months) towards your next SU bonus.

You could have CP for 2019/20 , grab 103K WN points and then get CP again for 2021/22 if the rules don't change. Another way is have your wife or SO get CP , my wife and I change off who gets CP every 2 years. One of us also goes card free for 2 years while the other gets as many cards as possible so when the need for CP comes up one of us is under 5/24
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Fair point about the unknown future. Given that CP is one of the best deals in all of travel (for those who can take advantage of it), I suppose there's always risk of it devaluing, getting tougher to get, or losing "shortcut" angles like CC bonuses. Once Hawaii comes into the mix, there's no telling what will happen. You know the CP crowd would absolutely pile onto Hawaii flights if it's allowed - it's literally the first thing I'd do with my new CP after designating my companion.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Fair point about the unknown future. Given that CP is one of the best deals in all of travel (for those who can take advantage of it), I suppose there's always risk of it devaluing, getting tougher to get, or losing "shortcut" angles like CC bonuses. Once Hawaii comes into the mix, there's no telling what will happen. You know the CP crowd would absolutely pile onto Hawaii flights if it's allowed - it's literally the first thing I'd do with my new CP after designating my companion.
It already did get tougher for some. Unless you have a WN flight planned or are in an airport where the 50k cards are being pushed the personal card is only 40K so people still have to earn 6000 CPQP after getting 2 Chase Southwest credit cards and spending $4k to get the SU bonuses.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyer4512
It already did get tougher for some. Unless you have a WN flight planned or are in an airport where the 50k cards are being pushed the personal card is only 40K so people still have to earn 6000 CPQP after getting 2 Chase Southwest credit cards and spending $4k to get the SU bonuses.
There is also a link in the inflight magazine this month for the 50k offer.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks

There is also a link in the inflight magazine this month for the 50k offer.
If it hasn't been done already somebody should post that link.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
If it hasn't been done already somebody should post that link.
I just glanced at it, but got the impression you had to apply while on the flight. But maybe I am misremembering.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks

I just glanced at it, but got the impression you had to apply while on the flight. But maybe I am misremembering.
Ok, if so that goes back to you have to have a WN flight planned or be in a airport where they are pushing the 50K apps...............BTW, I would never apply via a paper app at the airport, too many people have access to your info. I would rather earn the other 7K CPQP
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:29 am
Original Poster

As I understand it... as long as I don't cross the minimum spend line on both cards before January 1, I could spend 90% by December 31 and reach the minimums in January to achieve the CP goal.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I understand it... as long as I don't cross the minimum spend line on both cards before January 1, I could spend 90% by December 31 and reach the minimums in January to achieve the CP goal.
Yes.

The point is that people screw this up in dozens of ways every year.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:23 pm

Correct, the bonuses would post in 2019. However, the points earned on that 90% of spend would be credited in 2018, giving you usable points but not CP qualifying points for 2019.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Yes, yes, I do get it now... in this example it would behoove me to spend the 90% after January 1... not before. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.