Points Stolen

Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
I wonder how they can support a policy of not replacing stolen points and also allow awards to be sent to a third party address? You would think that they would just automatically send the awards to the address on file and it would be the account holder who is responsible for sending to whomever they want. Just seems to make more sense overall.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by rxziebel
I wonder how they can support a policy of not replacing stolen points and also allow awards to be sent to a third party address? You would think that they would just automatically send the awards to the address on file and it would be the account holder who is responsible for sending to whomever they want. Just seems to make more sense overall.
I don't think I have ever dealt with any entity online that refuse to send anything to a third party address. My bank allows me to send cash to a third party address online. I just don't understand your thesis.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99
I don't think I have ever dealt with any entity online that refuse to send anything to a third party address. My bank allows me to send cash to a third party address online. I just don't understand your thesis.
Dont companies that manage retirement plans generally require things to go to the address of record? Vanguard sure does with my wifes account.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:38 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by lougord99
Well, you missed the first part. My "thesis" is that if they will not replace stolen points AND allow third party addresses, then that is a problem. Anyone I have dealt with online does not have a policy of not replacing stolen or fraudulently obtained items. I am sure your bank does not allow you to send money to a third party without doing at least a couple of verification items (password, secret question and answer, 3 digit code from back of Debit card etc.).

Hope that helps explain what I wrote.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Then folks would complain they can not send a gift to ....
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:34 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
My RR account password is so good that not even I know what it is!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:54 pm

. I am sure your bank does not allow you to send money to a third party without doing at least a couple of verification items (password, secret question and answer, 3 digit code from back of Debit card etc.).
Actually, my bank allows me to send money to a third party with exactly the same verification that Southwest uses - login name and password.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:22 pm

I am sure your bank does not allow you to send money to a third party without doing at least a couple of verification items (password, secret question and answer, 3 digit code from back of Debit card etc.).
Wrong.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I do not recall that WN offers two-factor security. Yes?

That seems like the least they could do.
Never once has anyone mentioned this as an issue when logging onto Southwest. Why haven't you ever brought it up before as a worry regarding Southwest if it's the 'least they could do'?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Never once has anyone mentioned this as an issue when logging onto Southwest. Why haven't you ever brought it up before as a worry regarding Southwest if it's the 'least they could do'?
I am not worried. Its just that it is so simple to offer it as an option, so far as I can see. Its pretty common elsewhere.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:40 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
It would appear South West does not take web security seriously. Just like one of my bank accounts that would not let me use anything other than numbers or letters in a password until recently. Seems as if WN may have been negligent in the left of your miles. If WN took security seriously, they would have multiple steps to redeem miles that involves at least a combination of email, www, phone and so forth....
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Just to add another interesting quirk to this. I went into More Rewards and I can't even see an item to Purchase called ticket to Hong Kong Disneyland.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by JRF
It would appear South West does not take web security seriously. Just like one of my bank accounts that would not let me use anything other than numbers or letters in a password until recently. Seems as if WN may have been negligent in the left of your miles. If WN took security seriously, they would have multiple steps to redeem miles that involves at least a combination of email, www, phone and so forth....
By your definition, who in the travel industry takes security seriously?

The problem is that us customers would cry out foul if we had to do half of what you suggest to redeem miles.

In my opinion, we willingly give up true security for ease of use. And I am one of those people.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:43 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by camaross
Wrong.
Ok, fine. You use a unsecure bank. Just great, good for you.

Ally uses Zelle which not only has 2 step authentication but also a 60 day notification of fraudulent activity to get your money back.

My POINT is that it is not good business to allow transfers or purchases using miles with simple password access and no guarantee of refund if fraudulent.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:58 pm

Ok, fine. You use a unsecure bank. Just great, good for you.

Ally uses Zelle which not only has 2 step authentication but also a 60 day notification of fraudulent activity to get your money back.

My POINT is that it is not good business to allow transfers or purchases using miles with simple password access and no guarantee of refund if fraudulent.
I use a super regional bank ( at least 10 states including almost all of the midwest) which also uses Zelle and there is absolutely no extra authentication to use it ( I have used Zelle ). I question whether you truly have 60 day refund of fraudulent transactions. Just google it and see if others have this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.