Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points Stolen

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Points Stolen

So I log in to my RR account after receiving and email that I used 129938 points in my account. I see that somehow a ticket to Hong Kong Disneyland was bought thru More Rewards with my points and being sent to someone in Hong Kong. I contact Southwest and they say it will take 10business days to investigate. It seems pretty obvious to me that someone hacked my account and had the tickets sent to them. Why do they need 10 days to figure it out. I always depend on SWA doing the right thing and I hope I can keep depending on that. Anyone else ever had this happen to them ?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:42 am

Location: Inland Empire, semi-regularly going between LAX/ONT/SNA and IND/STL
Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by philly72
So I log in to my RR account after receiving and email that I used 129938 points in my account. I see that somehow a ticket to Hong Kong Disneyland was bought thru More Rewards with my points and being sent to someone in Hong Kong. I contact Southwest and they say it will take 10business days to investigate. It seems pretty obvious to me that someone hacked my account and had the tickets sent to them. Why do they need 10 days to figure it out. I always depend on SWA doing the right thing and I hope I can keep depending on that. Anyone else ever had this happen to them ?
My guess? It won't actually take anywhere near ten days to investigate; that's just what they tell you so they're covered in case there are any unexpected obstacles.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:40 pm

Stuff happens...they’ll make it right. Why would you not want them to investigate fully and properly, taking whatever amount of time is necessary?
Often1 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:44 pm

Can you cancel the ticket?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

No, according to them it was shipped within 24 hours.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Of course I would want them to figure it out but it's really a no brainer.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Not exactly a no brainer. They do have to take your word vs what happened. I am surely not saying you might have actually done it, or a family member, etc. But - that is all possible.

As to 10 days - pretty sure that is a standard answer so people do not call back everyday.

Sort of like how they say refunds might take 2 billing cycles, but they usually show up with 48 hours, often less.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:12 pm

No, according to them it was shipped within 24 hours.
If it hasn't been flown it can be cancelled.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
If it hasn't been flown it can be cancelled.
They were tickets to Disneyland - not air tickets. Air tickets would be very easy to fix.

It would be nice to turn OFF those sort of options. Would be interesting to see how the account was hacked.
belfordrocks likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:14 pm

Unfortunately, be aware that there have also been reported instances of Southwest not "making it right" in these types of situations. Depending on how your account was compromised, and if they are able to verify that it was not you who used the points, you may or may not have the points returned to you. The Rapid Rewards program terms and conditions allows them to deny responsibility:

Southwest Airlines is not responsible for unauthorized access to a Member’s Account and will not replace stolen points or awards.

Hopefully this will all work out. Please do come back and let us know what happens. Good luck.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
It would be nice to turn OFF those sort of options.
Seriously. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want to get so little value for my points than More Rewards redemptions.
belfordrocks likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Judge, I'm not sure why we are wasting everyone's time here today in court. I told the police I didn't kill the person. What more do you need??

Not being rude, just pointing out that it's not a no brainer on their side of the fence. Hopefully it all works out for you.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:38 pm

Ah...I see. So you have some helpful insight into exactly how your account was accessed and the points stolen? If so, I’m sure WN would be quite interested.
justhere and steved5480 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:16 pm

Trust, but verify.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:58 pm

It may get trickier since it’s thru More Rewards, technically a 3rd party vendor. Go to their website also and contact Customer Service there as well. Just cover all your bases. Also if you haven’t already, change your RR password and maybe your email too if that’s an option. I use a separate email account strictly for all my travel.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.