Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points Stolen

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
WN security is just fine. We do not need extra login, verification, etc etc.

These issues seem to be very rare and just not an issue.
joshua362 and PlaneJane1 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Just as an update. It took them the entire 10 days to put the points back in the account. I finally did get to speak with someone who did say they flagged the transactions after it was completed but could not stop the points from coming out of the account since it was a third part company pulling the points. Also the transaction was for an item that is no longer available. So the answer to my question of protecting my account was just change your password.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:16 pm

Most importantly, don't use the same password for multiple accounts. What happens is: There's a breach somewhere, someone buys a list of names/emails/passwords, and then runs software that looks for other accounts it can gain access to.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Most importantly, don't use the same password for multiple accounts. What happens is: There's a breach somewhere, someone buys a list of names/emails/passwords, and then runs software that looks for other accounts it can gain access to.
This is exactly it. No one is brute force hacking SW accounts. The most common "hack" is by a user getting phished or reusing passwords between sites.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:36 am

What happens if you needed to book a flight using your stolen points for a saver award that may go away? Would Southwest give you points to cover and book the award or adjust the points 10 days from now back to the lower point value displaying today?

Damn hackers lets put them in Transfarency prison!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: AAMastercard, ChaseSouthwest
I hope the guy or gal gets to Hong Kong Disneyland and their tickets do not work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.