Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Price Increases

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Price Increases

My return flight TPA/MSP o 4/15 and LAS/MSP on 5/28 have literally doubled in price

We fly the same routes the 3rd Monday in April and the Tuesday after Memorial day every year

$350 - $400 plus one way for the afternoon flights with one layover that we want
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Mergers and decreased competition are beneficial to the stockholders, not the consumer, no matter what the rubber stamping governmental "oversight" agencies say...
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
Mergers and decreased competition are beneficial to the stockholders, not the consumer, no matter what the rubber stamping governmental "oversight" agencies say...

Delta and AA are less, CP makes it slighter better than either of those airlines. I'm confident I will get at least 1/2 my points back via price drops before we take off
steved5480 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Delta and AA are less, CP makes it slighter better than either of those airlines. I'm confident I will get at least 1/2 my points back via price drops before we take off
Then why are you complaining here if you are certain that prices will drop before takeoff ( which is likely )
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99
Then why are you complaining here if you are certain that prices will drop before takeoff ( which is likely )
I'm not really complaining as much as I'm was just stating a fact and was wondering if other routes saw the same increases

It's hard to complain when you are sitting on millions of miles /points and not one was earned via a paid flight. lol
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Simply shifting your return dates by a single day (4/16 and 5/29) yields dramatically lower fares. As low as $137 on TPA-MSP and $92 for LAS-MSP. Not terribly surprising when you consider typical demand patterns. Lots less demand for return on a Tuesday (or a Wednesday when a long holiday weekend is involved) from leisure destinations. Have seen such patterns for many, many years when booking vacation trips for our family and have adjusted departures/returns to save dollars. Rather than fixating over what you paid in the past, you might want to think about being less of a creature of habit.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why not merge all of these threads?

Better economy, higher fuel prices, interest rates up means carriers will wait a lot longer to release cheap fares and may not release as many as in the past. Especially on heavy travel days. If WN can sell a ticket for $500 or $400, which price do you think it will sell at? What about AA, UA, and DL?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Yep, Tu/W/Sat are your friend.

Security lines much less of a PITA also.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:07 am

Easter is April 19th in 2019. The 3rd Monday in April is April 20th. So there's your answer for that one.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Simply shifting your return dates by a single day (4/16 and 5/29) yields dramatically lower fares. As low as $137 on TPA-MSP and $92 for LAS-MSP. Not terribly surprising when you consider typical demand patterns. Lots less demand for return on a Tuesday (or a Wednesday when a long holiday weekend is involved) from leisure destinations. Have seen such patterns for many, many years when booking vacation trips for our family and have adjusted departures/returns to save dollars. Rather than fixating over what you paid in the past, you might want to think about being less of a creature of habit.
I was comparing the same days and approximate flight times as the previous years and noting the increase. That was the point of my post. There were cheaper flights but some had 2 stops and some left @ 6am..........this is Vegas, I may not be back in my room until 3am. My fight leaves at 1pm.

Both of my flights have already dropped in points , LAS dropped 8807, TPA, 2177 points..........not bad for 24 hours

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Easter is April 19th in 2019. The 3rd Monday in April is April 20th. So there's your answer for that one.
My flight is April 15, the 3rd Monday in April. Easter is the following Sunday April 21
ursine1 likes this.

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 28, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:40 pm

I think we're seeing Southwest's load/revenue management system being more aggressive with initial pricing, and then adjusting down later to match demand over time. I don't believe it was always this way. Now there are more WGA's "sold out" earlier, or much smaller buckets available at the lower fares. With offering the ability to refare I'm not sure this really makes much sense -- but perhaps they grab enough people early on who do not ultimately refare to make up for any potential passengers they lose to other carriers by being uncompetitive.
flyer4512, ryw and Often1 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ursine1
I think we're seeing Southwest's load/revenue management system being more aggressive with initial pricing, and then adjusting down later to match demand over time. I don't believe it was always this way. Now there are more WGA's "sold out" earlier, or much smaller buckets available at the lower fares. With offering the ability to refare I'm not sure this really makes much sense -- but perhaps they grab enough people early on who do not ultimately refare to make up for any potential passengers they lose to other carriers by being uncompetitive.
Even if you refare, they still have your money (assuming you are paying cash). You are then much more likely to come back.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Yep, Tu/W/Sat are your friend.

Security lines much less of a PITA also.
TSA pre is well worth it for anyone who flies often

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Even if you refare, they still have your money (assuming you are paying cash). You are then much more likely to come back.
True but in my case I would not have paid those prices in cash. Since we used points the refunds are immediate.

Even with the price drop WN is still $80 more than the 5 Delta nonstops on the same day.

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 28, 2018 at 4:25 pm
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ursine1
From a revenue management perspective, why give away the seats early on? I don't blame WN for raising fares early on and see how many book at the higher fares. They may not have to lower them as much, if less informed travelers book at the higher fare.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by formeraa
From a revenue management perspective, why give away the seats early on? I don't blame WN for raising fares early on and see how many book at the higher fares. They may not have to lower them as much, if less informed travelers book at the higher fare.
No one, of course, suggested "give away."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.