Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

PHX Terminal 4 closed for unattended vehicle earlier today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

http://amp.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-news/phoenix-sky-harbor-terminal-4-partially-closed-for-a-unattended-car

I found it interesting that WN cancelled 34 flights "and more could be expected" instead of just riding out the delay. It seems excessive because while surely many pax were impacted, it would be harder to reschedule 34x170 instead of just those who had onward flights.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
I’m in SAN right now. Seems like they cancelled two SAN-PHX flights, and then added an additional SAN-PHX flight. Additionally, it sounds like they added an SAN-SMF to replace a cancelled or delayed inbound.

I’m not on any of those flights, so I can’t be certain... that’s just what I’m deducing from the announcements.

As you might imagine, T1 in SAN is pretty crowded (more than usual) right now.

Last edited by twitch76; Sep 16, 2018 at 1:33 pm
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
"...a rental vehicle was left near terminal 4..."

Hope they find the idiot and make him sit in a terminal with no money or wifi for a few years.... Idiot.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:49 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I was flying out of ONT this morning (to another destination than PHX), but one PHX flight was cancelled, and 1 severely delayed. Very long lines for gate agents. It *sounded* like the cancelled flight was going to go straight to its next destinations, as I overheard a gate agent say that any through passengers to AAA (couldn't make out what they were saying) and DCA would be delayed, but would soon be able to board the aircraft, but those who were going to PHX or changing planes there would need to get rebooked and rereouted.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
While I am all for "an abundance of caution" when warranted, common sense seems to be a thing of the past.

Isn't that why we have tow trucks?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by PAX62
While I am all for "an abundance of caution" when warranted, common sense seems to be a thing of the past.

Because towing a car bomb could set it off?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by PAX62

Interestingly enough, it took PHX PD 20 minutes to call for a tow truck to come fetch the car. It probably was sitting there for longer than that.

I guess they ran one of the dogs around the car and it alerted, which is why they went in to freakout mode.

More here.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
From the article above: "...(tow truck driver) said the driver thought only a few minutes had passed after he ran into the terminal to help his girlfriend check into her flight. He didn't know his rental vehicle was already being torn apart by the bomb squad when he returned..."

Apparently, more than a few minutes passed.

What an idiot. Looks like a small fine, but the rental company is not going to be so easy on him.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I wish there was a way for someone to quantify a financial loss from the flight delays and sue this guy for damages. It seems like an absolute joke that this idiot isn't going to be severely punished for this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Because towing a car bomb could set it off?
No, he didn’t bring his explosive. He never have anything. His rent car is running. He didn’t turn it off his vehicle. He was running late for his flight.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Sounds like a massive over-reaction and cover-up to me along the lines as someone not doing their patrol then not knowing if that car was there for 2 minutes or an hour. I know I can barely pull to the curb, open the trunk to discharge the flyer and bags before being yelled at to move the car. Pure speculation.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:47 am

Of course, much of this is Monday-Morning Quarterbacking. No one knew at the time where the driver was, which is why they went into panic mode. It's bad enough when people forget they can't bring in a bottle of water or some sharp object onto the plane. But there really are idiots out there that completely forget you shouldn't leave a car running while you run into a public place to begin with, much less curbside at a major airport!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
Sounds like a massive over-reaction and cover-up to me along the lines as someone not doing their patrol then not knowing if that car was there for 2 minutes or an hour. I know I can barely pull to the curb, open the trunk to discharge the flyer and bags before being yelled at to move the car. Pure speculation.
At the airports I frequent there are always cops standing around anywhere there is pick up or drop off activity, but how tolerant they are of people waiting varies quite a bit depending on where you are and how much traffic there it. Sometime 30 seconds it too long, sometimes you can sit for a half hour. How tolerant they are of empty vehicles varies as well. I've heard multiple PA announcements that a specific vehicle was going to be towed in the terminal.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: none
Just what were the circumstances that led to that decision? Whoever made that call probably felt the conditions were justified under the circumstances.

If you don't know what happened, just admit you weren't even there and didn't see anything. Otherwise you're just trying to substitute your uninformed speculation for theirs.

Last edited by Allan38103; Sep 19, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Just what were the circumstances that led to that decision? Whoever made that call probably felt the conditions were justified under the circumstances.

If you don't know what happened, just admit you weren't even there and didn't see anything. Otherwise you're just trying to substitute your uninformed speculation for theirs.
I admit I was not there and I did not see anything. My speculation was uninformed being behind a computer 3000 miles away, hence "speculation" of a over-reaction causing millions of dollars and inconveniencing thousands...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.