Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre - Board

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Blitzjb
You - Your - you're - is - am - an Idiot
Oh sorry, I thought this thread was for complaining about stupid sh*t that doesn't matter, was just following your lead.
SCGustafson and kennycrudup like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Originally Posted by camaross
Oh sorry, I thought this thread was for complaining about stupid sh*t that doesn't matter, was just following your lead.
All pre-boarding non-sense matters.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:44 pm
Y..

I pre-board with my husband, a US veteran, who has many neurological medical issues and a compromised immune system because of his time in the service. He uses a cane and has horrible neuropathy in his feet. He looses his balance quite easily. We are always concerned that he will trip going down the aisle either just walking or over someone’s feet. To look at him, you may not guess his issues as he tries to put on a brave face. I have learned not to judge others unless I’ve walked in their shoes. Things are not always as they seem. : /
sonofzeus, screeton, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Y..
I pre-board with my husband, a US veteran, who has many neurological medical issues and a compromised immune system because of his time in the service. He uses a cane and has horrible neuropathy in his feet. He looses his balance quite easily. We are always concerned that he will trip going down the aisle either just walking or over someone’s feet. To look at him, you may not guess his issues as he tries to put on a brave face. I have learned not to judge others unless I’ve walked in their shoes. Things are not always as they seem. : /
That is a legitimate reason, not a wart on someones ...
joshua362 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These threads are useless venting. There is absolutely nothing to be done about it. Hopefully the Mods will be along to merge this one.

WN is not permitted to ask the nature or severity of a disability and even if it could, GA's are not qualified to make judgments. Passengers are free to completely fabricate a claim. WN is prone to fraudsters because it does not assign seats. But, it is not changing that policy, so there is nothing to be done.

WN is not obligated to offer pre-boarding at all, but it is required to accommodate people with disabilities. Thus, it could have all passengers line up in their assigned position and have them simply take the time it takes to board. Imagine stopping the boarding process on 15 separate occasions so that a disabled passenger can safely board. Would take a good hour to board a flight.

If this stuff annoys you, either vote with your feet and switch carriers or lump it and live with it.

Last edited by Often1; Sep 17, 2018 at 1:25 pm
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
These threads are useless venting. There is absolutely nothing to be done about it. Hopefully the Mods will be along to merge this one.

WN is not permitted to ask the nature or severity of a disability and even if it could, GA's are not qualified to make judgments. Passengers are free to completely fabricate a claim. WN is prone to fraudsters because it does not assign seats. But, it is not changing that policy, so there is nothing to be done.

WN is not obligated to offer pre-boarding at all, but it is required to accommodate people with disabilities. Thus, it could have all passengers line up in their assigned position and have them simply take the time it takes to board. Imagine stopping the boarding process on 15 separate occasions so that a disabled passenger can safely board. Would take a good hour to board a flight.

If this stuff annoys you, either vote with your feet and switch carriers or lump it and live with it.
That's not correct. As WN doesn't assign seats they absolutely do have to offer pre-boarding within the scope of 49 CFR §382.83(c).
ursine1 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I pre-board because I'm tall and fat. Aside from that, I'm in pretty good health.

I pre-board because I don't fit in one seat, so I book two seats under the Customer of Size policy. COS's are pre-boarded to insure that they are able to find two seats together, otherwise booking two seats would be an exercise in futility.

I haven't heard any snide remarks or gotten any funny looks (at least, not to my face) because I look perfectly healthy in the pre-board queue, but that may have something to do with my 6'-3" height and 300lb weight. I think maybe I scare people.

But since I don't have any physical issues, I pre-board AFTER those with disabilities. Aside from being WN policy, I figure that's just common courtesy.
Rd3 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:24 am

Here is the boxed response from SW: "While many of our Customers have disabilities that are not necessarily visible or restricted to a specific age group (e.g., diseases that cause blood clots, epilepsy, autism, etc.), we apologize for any frustration, -Nicole"Diseases are a cause for pre-boarding? Which disease causes Autism?
You're misreading the quote. Try reading it this way:

"While many of our Customers have disabilities that are not necessarily visible or restricted to a specific age group (e.g.,
a) diseases that cause blood clots
b) epilepsy
c) autism
d) etc.
SCGustafson and sk8er like this.

Last edited by xasyh; Sep 22, 2018 at 9:25 am Reason: typographical
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I would agree, this is not gonna change.

BUT - I would also agree that there must surely be some people in the line with a common condition that bothers all of us. It is often called " I am more important than everyone else and none of you are, so get out of my way syndrome".

Okay... I realize this will never happen, but the quickest way to reduce the line is to have them get off last. See how many like that idea. LOL!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by NoStressHere

BUT - I would also agree that there must surely be some people in the line with a common condition that bothers all of us. It is often called " I am more important than everyone else and none of you are, so get out of my way syndrome".

Okay... I realize this will never happen, but the quickest way to reduce the line is to have them get off last. See how many like that idea. LOL!
People who think that it's ok to fake a disability to cut the line are pretty pathetic. People who think that it's ok to, at the very least inconvenience, truly disabled people just to stick it to the fakers are even more pathetic. And in any event, the fakers are most likely to be interested in where they sit, not when they get off.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
The fakers want to sit up front so they can get off first and run down the jetway -- miracle!
Blitzjb likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere

I sometimes see large groups of people pre-board who are obviously together and have no obvious disability, like the 4 couples I saw on a recent flight. They obviously knew each other and while I suppose they are all attending some conference for the invisibly disabled I kind of doubt it.

What makes you think a person who would lie about a disability would have any qualms about ignoring such a rule? How would the FA's know who pre-boarded short of tagging each person who did with some sort of permanent mark. What would they do when they tried to get off early? Arrest them?.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Sep 29, 2018 at 12:33 pm
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
The fakers want to sit up front so they can get off first and run down the jetway -- miracle!
Maybe so. Life's too short to really worry about them.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Public shaming is the best option.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Public shaming is the best option.
Nope. You just end up making a fool of yourself when you inevitably attempt to "shame" someone who has a legitimate disability that you didn't notice.

Better to just let it go and complain about it on the net like everybody else.
nsx and joshua362 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.