Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

What is the highest status I can obtain from ONLY credit card spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum

Will be moving West later this year but not interested in switching to SW until we get there. Trying to figure out what the highest status I can earn from ONLY using a Southwest Airlines credit card with ZERO travel on the airline.

I have read the Rapid Rewards page on the website and it make it look like you can only earn certain amount of points on CC but to be honest can't quite follow it
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:11 pm

From Southwest.com:

Tier qualifying points are earned from revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines® or through the use of the Rapid Rewards® Priority or Premier Credit Cards (1,500 tier qualifying points for every $10,000 in eligible net purchases on that card, up to 15,000 tier qualifying points per year).

Since the limit is 15,000 tier qualifying points per year, you won't earn any status. Spend $110,000 on credit card (possibly less with some multiplier vendor deals) and you can get the Companion Pass
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmbolp
From Southwest.com:

Tier qualifying points are earned from revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines® or through the use of the Rapid Rewards® Priority or Premier Credit Cards (1,500 tier qualifying points for every $10,000 in eligible net purchases on that card, up to 15,000 tier qualifying points per year).

Since the limit is 15,000 tier qualifying points per year, you won't earn any status. Spend $110,000 on credit card (possibly less with some multiplier vendor deals) and you can get the Companion Pass
See that is what I do not understand. You say spend $100k on the credit card (no issue there) but I would only have 15,000 points (zero status as you mention) how am I going to get those additional tier points to get to Companion Pass
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:19 pm

Companion Pass isn't earned on "tier qualifying" points, it can be earned point-per-dollar on cc spend with no limit
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:25 pm

Companion Pass.

(A-List requires butt-in-seat.)
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Companion Pass isn't earned on "tier qualifying" points, it can be earned point-per-dollar on cc spend with no limit

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I knew I had to be reading something wrong.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

So what is the absolute highest status you can get with SW? Would it be the combo os A-List preferred/Companion?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
So what is the absolute highest status you can get with SW? Would it be the combo os A-List preferred/Companion?
That’s the highest publicized status (have it), imagine there some secret ones
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
A List Preferred is the highest "Status"...but you can't reach that with CC spend.

You can however reach Companion Pass with just CC spend and yet never even get A-List or A-List+
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAX62
A List Preferred is the highest "Status"...but you can't reach that with CC spend.

You can however reach Companion Pass with just CC spend and yet never even get A-List or A-List+
Right, but you can purchase it on each flight right? How much of an advantage is A-List preferred over just A-List
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:25 pm

This thread is hilarious.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
If you're determined to have A-List or A-List Preferred (also Companion Pass) there are online auctions that, if you bid properly, you can have any of those status's or a combination without butt-in-seat miles.

Flyertalk used to sponsor the KidsFirst auction where you could bid on all manner of points and status. It was sponsored by a competing website this year.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1
This thread is hilarious.
Not sure what is so funny. I am just not used to flying these extreme budget airlines where your best status allows you to pick in a group of seats the day before.....very new to me. Used to being able to pay for seats I want when I book my tickets and being done with it. Companion tickets seems to have some value if I also have the seating early option. May just stick to the more traditional airlines if not
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:14 pm

I think that, for any advice given here to be truly helpful, you should have a basic understanding of what Southwest is, and how they do things.

Here's a start: Boarding the Plane.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by ursine1
I think that, for any advice given here to be truly helpful, you should have a basic understanding of what Southwest is, and how they do things.
Pretty sure that is what the OP is tying to do. Glad to hear that you know everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.