Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest auto cancelled my reservation 2 weeks out?

Southwest auto cancelled my reservation 2 weeks out?

Old Sep 5, 18, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All of this is in line with other carriers' policies. The difference is that WN claims that it has no change fees. That may be true as a legal matter. But, the practical impact of cutting off WGA fares close in means that there is a significant fare pump which from the passenger perspective is the same as a change fee. It goes without saying that just as on a legacy carrier, if you purchase a flexible/refundable fare, there is no change fee / fare difference.

Bottom line is that when you purchase an air ticket, you acknowledge that you agree to the fare rules and COC. If you don't, then don't purchase.
Old Sep 5, 18, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
All of this is in line with other carriers' policies. The difference is that WN claims that it has no change fees. That may be true as a legal matter. But, the practical impact of cutting off WGA fares close in means that there is a significant fare pump which from the passenger perspective is the same as a change fee. It goes without saying that just as on a legacy carrier, if you purchase a flexible/refundable fare, there is no change fee / fare difference.

Bottom line is that when you purchase an air ticket, you acknowledge that you agree to the fare rules and COC. If you don't, then don't purchase.
You can change tickets with zero additional cost if you change them far enough in advance. I do it all the time. I am also often able to reclaim some of the cost of my travel by refareing when a lower cost ticket is available.
Old Sep 5, 18, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
Originally Posted by matt21 View Post
I suspect this won't change your mind, but consider a frequent scenario: I buy a one way ticket for a Wednesday flight 2 weeks ahead of time at WGA fare of $250. The Monday before my flight my schedule changes and I can't leave until Thursday or Friday. It's now going to cost $575 (BS fare on a frequent route). That's a $300+ change fee whether you want to call it one or not. Southwest eliminates most WGA fares 7 days out even on non-full flights, hitting frequent travelers in the pocket. Do they have an obligation to honor my lower fare? Of course not, they exist to make the most money possible. I'm OK with that, but in turn I'm going to try to save as much money as possible. If I foresee a couple of scheduling scenarios, I'll book a couple of flights. If they had a problem with such purchases, they'd cancel them. That it's happened 1 time should prove it's not an issue for them.
It's not a change fee, it's a change in fare. Every carrier does this (except the others add a change fee as well). If you change your ticket -- or just buy one from scratch -- three days in advance, it's going to cost a lot more.

Do you really think that Southwest would be a going concern if every passenger on the plane bought the cheapest ticket?

In their earliest days, flying only DAL-HOU-SAT-DAL, they had two fares -- peak and off-peak. If the peak fare is $99 and the off-peak fare is $59, and you wish to change your off-peak flight to a peak flight, you would have to pay them $40.

When you book multiple reservations in order to avoid having to pay more for a last-minute change, you are DEFRAUDING them. People like you should be banned from Southwest for your fraudulent behavior.
Old Sep 5, 18, 4:20 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
. The difference is that WN claims that it has no change fees. .
Sigh
Old Sep 10, 18, 9:13 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Lots of talk about the auto-cancel.

The policy that works alongside this is the one that allows a flight to be cancelled by the customer 10 minutes before flight time - at which time the plane is ready to leave - with an EMPTY SEAT. No idea why WN went to 10 minute, but it seems crazy.

AND - if an award ticket that never got cancelled, WN will do it for you and put the miles back into the account.
Old Sep 10, 18, 9:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Standbys get the no-show/cancelled seats @T-10.
Old Sep 10, 18, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by ryw View Post
While this used to be possible, the auto cancellation of conflicting reservations started both with the no-overbooking policy and the new IT system used for flights starting spring 2017

From what I can tell, and from what others have reported here, it will auto cancel if you have 2 reservations with overlapping flight times, or if you have multiple flights in the same direction between city pairs in the same day (e.g. 2 MDW-BWI flights on the same day at different times).
Currently have a SJC-LAX flight arriving into LAX at 12:50PM. Looking to book SJC-BUR departing at 1:45PM or 3:10PM for the same date as I am unsure if I will be able to make the LAX flight. Will WN still detect this as double booking and cancel one of the reservations?
Old Sep 10, 18, 4:31 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by B747forever View Post
Looking to book SJC-BUR departing at 1:45PM or 3:10PM for the same date as I am unsure if I will be able to make the LAX flight. Will WN still detect this as double booking and cancel one of the reservations?
Yes and maybe, respectively. I have successfully booked and flown segment runs with similar timing to your later option.
Old Sep 11, 18, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by nsx View Post
Yes and maybe, respectively. I have successfully booked and flown segment runs with similar timing to your later option.
Can I overcome this by not using my RR number and adding a letter or two as middle name?
Old Sep 11, 18, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Anecdotally. No.

Perhaps book under a fake name, obtain fake ID, a CC in the fake name and so on.
Old Sep 11, 18, 6:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Perhaps book under a fake name, obtain fake ID, a CC in the fake name and so on.
BUUUUT- if he's "Jonathan Public" in the WN system and his ID and CCs have that name, I know for a fact that credit card name matching is ... "flexible" (I've used my last initial only on some web form, once and the charge went thru no problem) and I'd be surprised if a TDC will care that a ticket for "PUBLIC/JON QUINCY" being held by someone with a "Jonathan Public" licence that matches the face of the holder would ever present a problem.
Old Sep 12, 18, 11:46 am

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Wow, lots of heat on this subject.

A person can make 2 overlapping reservations.
Southwest can cancel one of them.

Decide what you want to do .
Old Sep 12, 18, 12:26 pm

I suspect WN doesnt mind having late cancellations (reasonable percentage within a few days of departure) as long as they can sell those seats and tbese days there is enough demand for last minute bookings.
That canceled cheap seat will be sold for far more... i am oversimplifying but this practice probably has more impact on other pax than WN itself.
Old Oct 7, 18, 9:52 pm

I booked a Hong Kong Airlines business class flight LAX to BKK in March. I then booked a SWA flight for the night before using points and on the way back, I am scheduled to arrive at 9:30 AM. I booked a non stop flight for 7 PM, also using points (it was the cheapest flight for the day. A week later, I saw the non stop at 1:30 PM available for not many more points, so I booked that separately. Four hours is more than enough time to clear immigration, get my bags and walk 20 minutes to Terminal 1. If my flight is late, I’d like the second flight as a back up. As my 1:30 reservation was auto cancelled, that isn’t possible. Two years ago, my flight from BKK was early and I was able to make an earlier flight to KC. Not being an A lister, I was told that I couldn’t fly standby but could pay the difference between what I paid for the original reservation and the much higher same day reservation. I declined and waited 7 hours at LAX for my original flight. Are my options the same on my March trip? If they are, is there anyplace at LAX where I can store my luggage?
Old Oct 8, 18, 10:37 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
I doubt you can store luggage other than by taking a shuttle to a hotel and checking the bags there.

Next time book the early flight. If you miss it by less than 2 hours you can standby free for the later flight.

Search this Thread