Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest auto cancelled my reservation 2 weeks out?

Southwest auto cancelled my reservation 2 weeks out?

Reply

Old Sep 4, 18, 11:37 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 917
Originally Posted by matt21 View Post
... I can choose a BS fare with the ability to cancel AT ANYTIME for a full refund, but it's likely a much higher fare for this privilege. Should I choose a lower Wanna-Get-Away fare and cancel, I forfeit the ability to get my money back and instead accept it as a 1 year Southwest credit.

I mostly fly Southwest because I value this flexibility as you pointed out. If such flexibility weren't available, I'd probably start flying other airlines where I can often get a first class ticket for the same price as a BS fare...
Do you fly BS or WGA? If you fly WGA, you would have an ungodly number of credits to keep track of, which you seem to indicate you don't do. If you fly BS, there's no reason to book multiple flights at once because the fare usually doesn't change. You can book a flight for 6 months from now, and pay the same fare if you book the flight that afternoon. The only worry would be if the flight sold out far in advance, which rarely happens
jeffandnicole is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 18, 11:46 am
  #32  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 41,021
That's only true if you fly on routes with capacity. On business-heavy high-volume routes, there often simply isn't availability. Because WN made the poor decision to stop overbooking, no availability means no availability.

WN now does what other carriers do. It forces you either to plan ahead or run the risk that what you want won't be available. Except that the legacies will sell you a ticket at full F/Y and overbook by one more and run the risk of an oversell.
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 18, 1:36 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: RNO
Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
Posts: 5,352
Originally Posted by matt21 View Post
Comparing it to BJ "cheating" is a bad example. The better comparison is a stock option, where I pay a fee for the option to do something later. I can choose a BS fare with the ability to cancel AT ANYTIME for a full refund, but it's likely a much higher fare for this privilege. Should I choose a lower Wanna-Get-Away fare and cancel, I forfeit the ability to get my money back and instead accept it as a 1 year Southwest credit.
That's interesting that you put the word cheating in quotes. It's not "cheating", it's cheating. It really is cheating. It is a crime in the state of Nevada, and you can go to jail.

Your example of a stock option doesn't make any sense. You're not paying the fee for the option to do something later. You are buying the lowest fare instead of paying for the flexibility. A better example is buying or selling stock based on yesterday's closing price instead of the current price. Do you know of any brokerage firms that will let you do that?

I mostly fly Southwest because I value this flexibility as you pointed out. If such flexibility weren't available, I'd probably start flying other airlines where I can often get a first class ticket for the same price as a BS fare. Since I don't fly the others regularly, I can't comment on if this is a common practice due to change fees or other restrictions. I do however know of several people/companies like myself who use similar tactics and are very loyal to Southwest, not out of any "scheming", simply because their schedule demands the optionality. It's a competitive advantage that wins over certain customers. Since this is the *first time* I've had a reservation auto-cancelled in 10 years of flying Southwest, it looks like they don't have a problem with it except for extreme cases (overlapping flight in my case). Last year, I even had a phone agent schedule multiple flights from different airports while driving out of Florida prior to a hurricane in case I couldn't make it to the first one due to the heavy traffic, they were unbelievably helpful.
Your unknown business travels plans are not a natural disaster.
smmrfld likes this.
Kevin AA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 18, 1:39 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: RNO
Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
Posts: 5,352
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
And that's the story of how Kevin failed law school.
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It also makes no sense. Even presuming that this is an easy task and an easy lawsuit and that OP's bank account is sitting there ripe for execution, why on earth should WN go through all of this when it can get to the same place and deter the conduct on the spot by auto-cancel.

Don't forget that there is always the risk that WN cancels the ticket you really need and that by the time you cancel the one you don't need and rebook the new ticket, it's either more expensive or worse yet, not available. This does not have to happen too many times before the bad behavior stops.
For crying out loud, this is an internet bulletin board, not a law school paper!

How about this... go through last year's reservations and identify people like the OP. Then ban them for a year. After the year is up, should they engage in fraudulent ticketing again, ban them for life.
Kevin AA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 18, 5:47 pm
  #35  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
Your example of a stock option doesn't make any sense. You're not paying the fee for the option to do something later. You are buying the lowest fare instead of paying for the flexibility.
Kevin did you fail law school AND economics? When cancelling a WGA fare you forfeit the ability to do anything with the refund other than spend it at Southwest and even then risk losing it forever. Removing the option to spend the refund anywhere and locking it into Southwest for a year is the "fee". If you want to avoid this "fee", you can spend more on a refundable fare. Economic incentives abound!
matt21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 18, 6:11 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: ORD, MDW or MKE
Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
Posts: 5,966
Originally Posted by matt21 View Post
Kevin did you fail law school AND economics? When cancelling a WGA fare you forfeit the ability to do anything with the refund other than spend it at Southwest and even then risk losing it forever. Removing the option to spend the refund anywhere and locking it into Southwest for a year is the "fee". If you want to avoid this "fee", you can spend more on a refundable fare. Economic incentives abound!
And since this is so much in favor of the airline, I'm not clear why no other airline does it?

I hugely value the ability to change or cancel at no charge and I am always afraid that people like you will ruin it for the rest of us and WN will no longer allow free changes.
lougord99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 18, 7:21 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PHX
Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Posts: 3,041
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
For crying out loud, this is an internet bulletin board, not a law school paper!

How about this... go through last year's reservations and identify people like the OP. Then ban them for a year. After the year is up, should they engage in fraudulent ticketing again, ban them for life.
Yes, I understand that. That's why my response wasn't really commenting on what you wrote. Because what you wrote didn't really make sense as far as analogies go. You compared an actual criminal act of cheating to something that isn't cheating at all. It might be a contract violation if it could even be proven but trying to prove that the act itself is criminal is really a stretch.
justhere is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 18, 8:21 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 117
"I spend a lot of money so I should get special treatment."

Entitlement generation
camaross is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:02 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: RNO
Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
Posts: 5,352
Originally Posted by matt21 View Post
Kevin did you fail law school AND economics? When cancelling a WGA fare you forfeit the ability to do anything with the refund other than spend it at Southwest and even then risk losing it forever. Removing the option to spend the refund anywhere and locking it into Southwest for a year is the "fee". If you want to avoid this "fee", you can spend more on a refundable fare. Economic incentives abound!
Did you say you fly Southwest two to three times a week or two to three times a decade? Frequency of buying WN tickets is what makes the difference between no fee and "fee".

You change tickets at no charge. That is a fact. You can continue to rationalize your selfish behavior all you want, but it does not change the fact that you are defrauding Southwest when you do this. Keep it up, and Southwest will institute a change fee, and that screws over all of us.

Kevin AA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:58 pm
  #40  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by camaross View Post
"I spend a lot of money so I should get special treatment."

Entitlement generation
You do realize this is a message board for an airline rewards program? It's the definition of "I spend a lot of money so I should get special treatment." Almost every person posting here gets special treatment and then comes here to figure out how to get even more!
nsx, LegalTender and ursine1 like this.
matt21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 18, 10:15 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,345
Originally Posted by matt21 View Post
You do realize this is a message board for an airline rewards program? It's the definition of "I spend a lot of money so I should get special treatment." Almost every person posting here gets special treatment and then comes here to figure out how to get even more!
You have a grand total of 7 posts at this point. You’re hardly in a position to lecture other longtime participants on the purpose of this forum.
smmrfld is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 18, 10:25 pm
  #42  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
]

You change tickets at no charge. That is a fact. You can continue to rationalize your selfish behavior all you want, but it does not change the fact that you are defrauding Southwest when you do this. Keep it up, and Southwest will institute a change fee, and that screws over all of us.

I suspect this won't change your mind, but consider a frequent scenario: I buy a one way ticket for a Wednesday flight 2 weeks ahead of time at WGA fare of $250. The Monday before my flight my schedule changes and I can't leave until Thursday or Friday. It's now going to cost $575 (BS fare on a frequent route). That's a $300+ change fee whether you want to call it one or not. Southwest eliminates most WGA fares 7 days out even on non-full flights, hitting frequent travelers in the pocket. Do they have an obligation to honor my lower fare? Of course not, they exist to make the most money possible. I'm OK with that, but in turn I'm going to try to save as much money as possible. If I foresee a couple of scheduling scenarios, I'll book a couple of flights. If they had a problem with such purchases, they'd cancel them. That it's happened 1 time should prove it's not an issue for them.
joshua362 likes this.
matt21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 18, 10:26 pm
  #43  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post

You have a grand total of 7 posts at this point. You’re hardly in a position to lecture other longtime participants on the purpose of this forum.
How many posts are required before I can point out silly comments?
LegalTender likes this.
matt21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 18, 10:31 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SJC
Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Posts: 3,536
Originally Posted by camaross View Post
"I spend a lot of money so I should get special treatment."
AKA "The Unofficial Charter of Flyertalk.com" ... some of y'all kill me
nsx, LegalTender, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
kennycrudup is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 18, 7:46 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 917
Originally Posted by matt21 View Post
I suspect this won't change your mind, but consider a frequent scenario: I buy a one way ticket for a Wednesday flight 2 weeks ahead of time at WGA fare of $250. The Monday before my flight my schedule changes and I can't leave until Thursday or Friday. It's now going to cost $575 (BS fare on a frequent route). That's a $300+ change fee whether you want to call it one or not. Southwest eliminates most WGA fares 7 days out even on non-full flights, hitting frequent travelers in the pocket. Do they have an obligation to honor my lower fare? Of course not, they exist to make the most money possible. I'm OK with that, but in turn I'm going to try to save as much money as possible. If I foresee a couple of scheduling scenarios, I'll book a couple of flights. If they had a problem with such purchases, they'd cancel them. That it's happened 1 time should prove it's not an issue for them.
This is totally different from the issue you presented to us originally. The issue at hand is that you booked two flights that would have you on both planes AT THE SAME TIME. If you want to book two flights on different days with the intent on cancelling one of them, Southwest's system is set up for you to easily do that. But, they still have your money when you cancel one when you booked at WGA fares. In fact, you can book this on any airline at their cheapest fares The difference is the other airlines will charge you to change or cancel the flight; Southwest won't.

Also, Southwest doesn't specifically hit frequent travelers in the pocket at all. They hit travelers who make their flight decisions at the last minute in the pocket; regardless if you fly once or every day. I can fly every day if I want, but if I'm booking my tickets 3 weeks out, I'm still getting lower fares compared to those that book last minute (generally speaking, of course. Cheap fares can be had on the day of travel on occasion!).
jeffandnicole is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread