Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does GA verify age of child for Family Boarding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:23 am
Original Poster

My daughter turns 7 in October. Looking at taking a trip in January. I know that WN has family boarding after the "A" group for families with children age 6 and under. Does anyone know if the GA looks up the child's DOB in the reservation to verify that the child is in fact 6 or younger?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Cruss74
My daughter turns 7 in October. Looking at taking a trip in January. I know that WN has family boarding after the "A" group for families with children age 6 and under. Does anyone know if the GA looks up the child's DOB in the reservation to verify that the child is in fact 6 or younger?
Just check in a T-24 and not set a bad example to your seven year old daughter by cheating and lying about her age!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
A 7 year old is more than capable to board with everyone else, unless of course you also have a fake therapy dog.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NextTrip
Just check in a T-24 and not set a bad example to your seven year old daughter by cheating and lying about her age!
On our last WN trip, I checked us in at T-24 and got "A" boarding passes, but I hear that this more the exception than the rule.

Is it still lying if no one directly asks for the child's age?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blitzjb
A 7 year old is more than capable to board with everyone else, unless of course you also have a fake therapy dog.
Of course a 7 year old is capable of boarding with everyone else, but I don't think she is capable of sitting in a middle seat between 2 strangers for an entire flight if we can't find seats together.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Then pay for EBCI or BS. Or fly another carrier that offers assigned seating.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Cruss74;30162200q
On our last WN trip, I checked us in at T-24 and got "A" boarding passes, but I hear that this more the exception than the rule.

Yes. As soon as the gate agent says anyone traveling with children six and under AND you get in line, you are lying!
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:24 am

Of course a 7 year old is capable of boarding with everyone else, but I don't think she is capable of sitting in a middle seat between 2 strangers for an entire flight if we can't find seats together.
Don't game the system. Board in your regular place. "I won't change middle seats so this 7-year-old won't be by herself" said every pax on the plane never.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Lying, fraud, dishonest. Who cares? Nobody will send you (or her) to prison for this. This is about teaching children to be honest. This is dishonest.

You could also pretend to be disabled and sit in a wheelchair. Then you will be among the first 50 to board and will certainly get seats together.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Please do not set a bad example for an impressionable young child and lie in order to cut the line.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Then pay for EBCI or BS. Or fly another carrier that offers assigned seating.
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. Unfortunately, WN raised the EBCI fee from $15 to $25 pp on the flights that I'm looking at. Although, most other airlines charge $25-30 pp to "upgrade" out of basic economy and be able to select seats, so I guess it's a wash.

I guess another option is to just buy EBCI for myself and then save seats for my wife and daughter. I don't feel all that comfortable doing this, but apparently it happens a lot, and WN seems to encourage it.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:01 pm

Yes. Just purchase one EBCI then save as many seats as you need. I'm sure, since this is allowed by Southwest, all the people posting here who are so upset that you'd try to board with your family at Family Boarding becasue your daughter is one year older than the cutoff completely support this. Right?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Please do not set a bad example for an impressionable young child and lie in order to cut the line.
Exactly!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. Unfortunately, WN raised the EBCI fee from $15 to $25 pp on the flights that I'm looking at. Although, most other airlines charge $25-30 pp to "upgrade" out of basic economy and be able to select seats, so I guess it's a wash.

I guess another option is to just buy EBCI for myself and then save seats for my wife and daughter. I don't feel all that comfortable doing this, but apparently it happens a lot, and WN seems to encourage it.
Consider the new Southwest credit card. It gets you 4 free (reimbursed) upgrades to A1-15 annually. Normally cost $30-50 each.

Good card anyway.

Plan it so the bonus hits in January and you would also be roughly halfway to an almost 2-year Companion Pass.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP75K, Marriott Platinum, National EE
That is 100% what I would do. I basically do the same as an A+, board at A15-18 and then my wife and son board at family boarding. I sit in the first empty row middle and save the other two seats for them.

In your situation just make sure to get them checked in at T-24 so they aren’t too far back in B or in C. If you do that I doubt you’ll even have anyone ask to sit in your row with you before they board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.