Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does GA verify age of child for Family Boarding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does GA verify age of child for Family Boarding?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Or you could not be a greedy seat saver and BUY THE DADGUM EARLY BIRD CHECKIN

Why are people so greedy? I don't get it. It's just..... sad
Blitzjb likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Or you could not be a greedy seat saver and BUY THE DADGUM EARLY BIRD CHECKIN

Why are people so greedy? I don't get it. It's just..... sad
You keep saying that but they aren't being greedy. Cheap or frugal maybe but not greedy. It's not like they want more seats overall than they are entitled to. Selfish, maybe but not greedy. And even then that's all debatable as it really depends on whether anyone wants the seat they are saving.

I know you don't like it and I respect your opinion on it. As I've said before, raising the price of EBCI just means there will be more seat saving anyway.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: WN A+, CP, HH Diamond, National EE
I recommend buying the single EBCI, and saving seats for your wife and daughter. Saving seats is not greedy or cheap or selfish. Southwest allows this approach - why would you (or anyone, for that matter) ever pay more than you need to? It baffles me that so many advocate paying more than necessary. Even if you're loaded and don't need to save money, it's not smart to overpay.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Originally Posted by Cruss74
Of course a 7 year old is capable of boarding with everyone else, but I don't think she is capable of sitting in a middle seat between 2 strangers for an entire flight if we can't find seats together.
Unless you board in the "C" group that will never happen. Buy the EB if you are worried instead of lying and cheating.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Just check in at T-24. Chances are very good you will find 3 seats together.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
+1

No divas, no drama. Best move in the long-run.

"I learned a long time ago that there's no sense gettin 'all riled up every time a bunch of idiots give you a hard time. In the end, the universe tends to unfold as it should." - Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (2004)
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
This. Don't stress over a few boarding positions one way or the other.

If you check in anytime close to 24 hours prior, you will have an excellent chance of finding seats together, but they may be toward the back. If you are not willing to sit in the rear, then by all means buy the early bird.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
Beats me why people get sooo riled up about boarding position. Do you face death because you have to sit two rows further back than you wanted? OK, maybe really tall guys really need aisles, and really fat people can't handle middle seats. Aside from that, get a life. So you'll get to wait for your luggage 30 seconds less than if you got a more forward seat. Not a great tragedy like dying young.

In my opinion the OP should check in at T-24, and if he gets a B50+, do family boarding. I don't see the gate agent checking everybody's birth date. And then making a fuss over a year and a few boarding positions. Live and let live.

Calling this lying, cheating and a BAD example is way, way overblown. Teach the kid that sometimes rules need to be bent a little. That's a really important lesson, which I bet every commentator here has done oddles of times. This is a good place to start with reality training. .
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by bobunf
That's a really important lesson, which I bet every commentator here has done oddles of times. This is a good place to start with reality training. .
Sorry, Dr. Phil.

Boarding position is all that matters in a single-aisle, open-seating config with 175 people potentially ahead of you. To count on them being courteous or fleet-footed is absurd.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Beats me why people get sooo riled up about boarding position. Do you face death because you have to sit two rows further back than you wanted? OK, maybe really tall guys really need aisles, and really fat people can't handle middle seats. Aside from that, get a life. So you'll get to wait for your luggage 30 seconds less than if you got a more forward seat. Not a great tragedy like dying young.

In my opinion the OP should check in at T-24, and if he gets a B50+, do family boarding. I don't see the gate agent checking everybody's birth date. And then making a fuss over a year and a few boarding positions. Live and let live.

Calling this lying, cheating and a BAD example is way, way overblown. Teach the kid that sometimes rules need to be bent a little. That's a really important lesson, which I bet every commentator here has done oddles of times. This is a good place to start with reality training. .
nope

not saying I'm perfect, but I don't lie on a regular basis like you think everyone does
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:43 pm

Lying is bad. However, a 7yo pretending to be a 6yo to get family boarding for the purpose of sitting together would be an exception to the rule.

Kids should be taught that lying is bad. Kids should also be taught when rules can or should be bent.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If 7 is okay, then how about 8? How about 9? etc. You don't get to decide what the age cutoff is. Southwest does.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by davie355
Lying is bad. However, a 7yo pretending to be a 6yo to get family boarding for the purpose of sitting together would be an exception to the rule.

Kids should be taught that lying is bad. Kids should also be taught when rules can or should be bent.
“Lying is bad.”
Except when it isn’t? Sorry, disagree on this one, buddy. Kids need to know it isn’t ok to lie. And parents should set an example.
Just check in at T-24 and set that example.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:15 am

Hopefully the OP's child is like one I saw recently. When dad tries to "cheat" the kid yelled "LOUDLY" that she was EIGHT! Busted.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:57 am

really fat people can't handle middle seats
I think it is the people around them that cannot handle it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.