FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Best strategy for switching from Delta (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1928610-best-strategy-switching-delta.html)

argolfer Sep 2, 2018 2:27 pm

Best strategy for switching from Delta

I started flying again this July after 2.5 years not flying for business.

I dont have status anywhere, though my booking habits and routes mean I am flying mostly through DL because I always get decent seats (aisle, front halwf of the plane). I average about 1.5, 4-segment trips with DL each month. In other words, I’m solidly flying enough to be Silver and not a lot more. I could also easily be A-List.

But I’m not likely to make Silver Medallion this year without a mileage run, and I’m not sure I could match that on WN anyway.

I would like to switch to WN because it would save my employer money. But I don’t want to hover over a web browser at T-24 (I have actual work to do) and I don’t want to get stuck in middle seats and next to lavs a lot until mid-year when I qualify A-List.

Can anyone offer strategies - other than paying out of my pocket for EB - that would reduce the number of those flights?

Also, I plan to get the higher-end card for my business. I assume I should wait till close to EOY so that my points hit after January 1?

Thanks for any advice.

toomanybooks Sep 2, 2018 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by argolfer (Post 30159378)
I started flying again this July after 2.5 years not flying for business.

I dont have status anywhere, though my booking habits and routes mean I am flying mostly through DL because I always get decent seats (aisle, front halwf of the plane). I average about 1.5, 4-segment trips with DL each month. In other words, I’m solidly flying enough to be Silver and not a lot more. I could also easily be A-List.

But I’m not likely to make Silver Medallion this year without a mileage run, and I’m not sure I could match that on WN anyway.

I would like to switch to WN because it would save my employer money. But I don’t want to hover over a web browser at T-24 (I have actual work to do) and I don’t want to get stuck in middle seats and next to lavs a lot until mid-year when I qualify A-List.

Can anyone offer strategies - other than paying out of my pocket for EB - that would reduce the number of those flights?

Also, I plan to get the higher-end card for my business. I assume I should wait till close to EOY so that my points hit after January 1?

Thanks for any advice.

To improve boarding position, pay for Early Bird Check In. Has been $15, recently gone up on some/many routes. Other than having status or checking in at T-24, that’s the way.

Or buy AT or BS fares. But that of course negates the idea of saving money.

If your employer is of decent size, maybe it could negotiate some status.

There may be some kind of Fast Track offer for A-List.

Or pay some high school kid $5 to check you in.

Kevin AA Sep 3, 2018 12:24 am

Are you really that busy? Checking in takes about 30 seconds if you're slow.

NoStressHere Sep 3, 2018 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA (Post 30160599)
Are you really that busy? Checking in takes about 30 seconds if you're slow.

I would agree with that. I set alarm on my phone for 5 minutes in advance. Then make sure my SW app is loaded and spend that 30-60 seconds to checkin.

Even with being slow to do it a few times, we have never been stuck with middle seats. Worse seats have been toward the back.

argolfer Sep 3, 2018 7:38 am

If I’m in a meeting during that time it’s rude to pull out my phone and hover, even for 60 seconds.

I only bring this up because it happened both times I flew Southwest this year. Was in a meeting and couldn’t do it. An hour later I get a high-B boarding position and a middle seat.

It wouldnt always be that way I suppose. And maybe when that happens I just pay for EB.

shadow520 Sep 3, 2018 7:54 am

Originally Posted by argolfer (Post 30161436)
If I’m in a meeting during that time it’s rude to pull out my phone and hover, even for 60 seconds.

I only bring this up because it happened both times I flew Southwest this year. Was in a meeting and couldn’t do it. An hour later I get a high-B boarding position and a middle seat.

It wouldnt always be that way I suppose. And maybe when that happens I just pay for EB.

Would you know far enough in advance that you won't be able to check in at T-24 to buy EB? EB cuts off at T-36 (or earlier) AFAIK. Even then, if you bought it at T-37, you're getting the last EB position since EB check-in is in order of purchase.

glg Sep 3, 2018 9:05 am

Originally Posted by shadow520 (Post 30161489)
Would you know far enough in advance that you won't be able to check in at T-24 to buy EB? EB cuts off at T-36 (or earlier) AFAIK. Even then, if you bought it at T-37, you're getting the last EB position since EB check-in is in order of purchase.

I'd agree with this. 2 days before, check your schedule for T-24. If you won't be able to check in, buy EB then. If you're fine, set an alarm for T-24:02. Morning of, make sure SW app is logged in on your phone and you should have no trouble doing a very quick check in.

My problem is that I prefer to fly out early Monday morning when I can so I have all day Sunday with my family. Unfortunately, this can mean an early Sunday alarm to check in. The wife doesn't like those so much ;)

AsiaTraveler Sep 3, 2018 9:49 am

I would like to switch to WN because it would save my employer money. But I don’t want to hover over a web browser at T-24 (I have actual work to do) and I don’t want to get stuck in middle seats and next to lavs a lot until mid-year when I qualify.

If flying WN will save your employer money (and you can demonstrate that), can you make the case for your employer paying for early bird? Mine is willing to pay for EB as a matter of course, but that was policy when i arrived, so i don't know how it came to be.

toomanybooks Sep 3, 2018 10:27 am

Originally Posted by argolfer (Post 30161436)

T-24 plus 90 seconds.

“Excuse me, I have to run to the restroom.”

argolfer Sep 3, 2018 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler (Post 30161933)
If flying WN will save your employer money (and you can demonstrate that), can you make the case for your employer paying for early bird? Mine is willing to pay for EB as a matter of course, but that was policy when i arrived, so i don't know how it came to be.

Probably not. Not very compatible with our culture. But I hear you, and that could certainly work in a lot of scenarios. Just not mine.

Thanks to those who replied.

NoStressHere Sep 10, 2018 9:17 am

...Also, I plan to get the higher-end card for my business. I assume I should wait till close to EOY so that my points hit after January 1?

Thanks for any advice.

Timing near EOY only applies if you are going to get 110,000 and the Companion Pass. If you are only getting one card and expenses will not reach that level, then get it whenever.

pinniped Sep 10, 2018 2:23 pm

You can check in via the mobile app. (I've done it even in meetings. ;)) You do not need to do anything beyond the screen where you see your boarding position. Don't need to save the QR code then, don't need to print anything.

It literally takes me 15 seconds or less. Probably less if you open the Southwest app before the start of your meeting.

Whenever you get at T-24 will be sufficient to avoid a middle seat. Even if it's B-something.

nsx Sep 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Call RR and request a status challenge or fast track. A friend of mine who moved and started commuting got an A-list challenge where he needed to fly 3 round trips in a short time to retain it.

Ditka Sep 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Why would you want to do this? If you fly enough, you could earn status with Delta for yourself and have phenomenal personal travel experiences. The SWA CS is generally good and the people are friendly, but I’d much rather have status on AA/DAL/UA than on SWA

argolfer Sep 20, 2018 6:54 pm

Realistically the best I can expect to get is Silver, with the occasional Gold. I don’t think I’d have a phenomenal experience TBH. And the DL experience is fine without status.

Switching to WN on A-List will give me a similar experience (perhaps better seats) and will save my employer money.

I’m doing a challenge for A-List and will hopefully like it. If I don’t I will go back to Delta at the beginning of the year.