cancelling/credit

Old Aug 31, 18, 12:21 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: United 1k
Posts: 1,461
cancelling/credit

Hi All,

never taken a southwest flight before so sorry about the newbie question:

when booking then cancelling a southwest flight i see that you get a years valid credit-is this from booking date or cancel date?

also,it says that the credit can only be used by the orignal flyer.
what if you have 2 people on the booking then cancel it ?do you both have to book again to use the credit or can one person use it all(or is it halved?
thanks
bryanwallace is online now  
Old Aug 31, 18, 6:27 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: ORD, MDW or MKE
Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Posts: 6,043
Booking date.

You will see that each person is listed with a price and that each person will get their own credit.
lougord99 is offline  
Old Aug 31, 18, 6:50 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 44,481
Originally Posted by bryanwallace View Post
Hi All,

never taken a southwest flight before so sorry about the newbie question:

when booking then cancelling a southwest flight i see that you get a years valid credit-is this from booking date or cancel date?

also,it says that the credit can only be used by the orignal flyer.
what if you have 2 people on the booking then cancel it ?do you both have to book again to use the credit or can one person use it all(or is it halved?
thanks
Every passenger has his own ticket. The fact that tickets may be administratively booked into a single PNR is an administrative convenience.
Often1 is offline  
Old Aug 31, 18, 7:34 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL, USA
Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 13,471
Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
Booking date.

You will see that each person is listed with a price and that each person will get their own credit.
This is why people who seldom fly should have tickets purchased with points.

Cancel the flight and the points go back with no penalties/restrictions.
toomanybooks is offline  
Old Aug 31, 18, 8:40 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
This is why people who seldom fly should have tickets purchased with points.
But people who seldom fly probably don't have enough points to do that.
NextTrip, ryw and argolfer like this.
dansachs is offline  
Old Aug 31, 18, 9:27 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 917
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post


This is why people who seldom fly should have tickets purchased with points.

Cancel the flight and the points go back with no penalties/restrictions.
The OP said they have never flown with Southwest before. Unless they had previously received the Southwest Credit Cards to get a whole bunch of points, they wouldn't have any points to spend to begin with.

Heck, not everyone that flies with Southwest even is enrolled in their Rapid Rewards club.
jeffandnicole is offline  
Old Aug 31, 18, 1:45 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SJC
Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Posts: 3,849
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole View Post
Heck, not everyone that flies with Southwest even is enrolled in their Rapid Rewards club.
Speaking of which- and yes, I'm going way OT here (but I suspect OP is gonna hit it and quit it since being informed ) but I'd love to know stats like this:

- How many RR members are there (and "active" vs. "inactive")
- How many A-List Preferred
- How many A-List
- Average number of RR points held total
- Number of people in Top 5% points, segments, spend
kennycrudup is offline  
Old Sep 2, 18, 10:00 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: United 1k
Posts: 1,461
thanks all-please rest assured im not going to hit and quit!
i dont see any way to get miles quickly as i have never flown them-but have just joined the miles programme..

one other question -when you book flights for 2 people-if thepnr is separated does it come up as 2 separate charges on credit card or all as one?
bryanwallace is online now  
Old Sep 2, 18, 11:30 pm
  #9  
FSF
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by bryanwallace View Post
thanks all-please rest assured im not going to hit and quit!
i dont see any way to get miles quickly as i have never flown them-but have just joined the miles programme..

one other question -when you book flights for 2 people-if thepnr is separated does it come up as 2 separate charges on credit card or all as one?

As for getting miles quickly, if you're interested, you can sign up for a Chase Southwest card and you get a bonus of 25K-60K if you spend usually $2,000-$3,000 within 90 days of card issuance.

There is a $69 or a $99 annual fee (which comes with an annual gift of 3,000/6,000 points). But many here usually cancel when the one year is up (often after the annual points are awarded). I would not bother signing up for any less than 50K points on the upfront promotion part.

Last edited by nsx; Sep 3, 18 at 12:21 am Reason: Referrals are not allowed in this forum
FSF is offline  
Old Sep 3, 18, 8:02 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 9,211
Originally Posted by bryanwallace View Post
...one other question -when you book flights for 2 people-if thepnr is separated does it come up as 2 separate charges on credit card or all as one?
If both are one "booking", then it will only ask for one payment, and therefore one charge.

If you book one ticket and pay, then you book another any pay...well.... that is two payments and therefore two charges.
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Sep 3, 18, 10:07 am
  #11  
glg
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, US
Posts: 2,194
Originally Posted by bryanwallace View Post
thanks all-please rest assured im not going to hit and quit!
i dont see any way to get miles quickly as i have never flown them-but have just joined the miles programme..
If you have a Chase Sapphire card or some of the business cards, you can transfer UR points into Southwest
glg is offline  
Old Sep 3, 18, 11:58 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: OSH
Programs: SWRR, HH, SM
Posts: 45
I converted some of my Chase Sapphire Preferred sign up bonus points to Southwest then used that to fly to Orlando last year. First time flying Southwest and I didn't pay any cash.
EAJuggalo is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 12:49 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: United 1k
Posts: 1,461
thanks all-sorry for not making clear-i amnot us based so dont have access to the credit card mile candy jar that everyone else seems to enjoy..!
bryanwallace is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: