FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   cancelling/credit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1928203-cancelling-credit.html)

bryanwallace Aug 30, 2018 11:21 pm

cancelling/credit

Hi All,

never taken a southwest flight before so sorry about the newbie question:

when booking then cancelling a southwest flight i see that you get a years valid credit-is this from booking date or cancel date?

also,it says that the credit can only be used by the orignal flyer.
what if you have 2 people on the booking then cancel it ?do you both have to book again to use the credit or can one person use it all(or is it halved?
thanks

lougord99 Aug 31, 2018 5:27 am

Booking date.

You will see that each person is listed with a price and that each person will get their own credit.

Often1 Aug 31, 2018 5:50 am

Originally Posted by bryanwallace (Post 30150770)
Hi All,

never taken a southwest flight before so sorry about the newbie question:

when booking then cancelling a southwest flight i see that you get a years valid credit-is this from booking date or cancel date?

also,it says that the credit can only be used by the orignal flyer.
what if you have 2 people on the booking then cancel it ?do you both have to book again to use the credit or can one person use it all(or is it halved?
thanks

Every passenger has his own ticket. The fact that tickets may be administratively booked into a single PNR is an administrative convenience.

toomanybooks Aug 31, 2018 6:34 am

Originally Posted by lougord99 (Post 30151381)
Booking date.

You will see that each person is listed with a price and that each person will get their own credit.

This is why people who seldom fly should have tickets purchased with points.

Cancel the flight and the points go back with no penalties/restrictions.

dansachs Aug 31, 2018 7:40 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 30151569)

But people who seldom fly probably don't have enough points to do that.

jeffandnicole Aug 31, 2018 8:27 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 30151569)

Cancel the flight and the points go back with no penalties/restrictions.

The OP said they have never flown with Southwest before. Unless they had previously received the Southwest Credit Cards to get a whole bunch of points, they wouldn't have any points to spend to begin with.

Heck, not everyone that flies with Southwest even is enrolled in their Rapid Rewards club.

kennycrudup Aug 31, 2018 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole (Post 30151945)
Heck, not everyone that flies with Southwest even is enrolled in their Rapid Rewards club.

Speaking of which- and yes, I'm going way OT here (but I suspect OP is gonna hit it and quit it since being informed :)) but I'd love to know stats like this:

- How many RR members are there (and "active" vs. "inactive")
- How many A-List Preferred
- How many A-List
- Average number of RR points held total
- Number of people in Top 5% points, segments, spend

bryanwallace Sep 2, 2018 9:00 pm

thanks all-please rest assured im not going to hit and quit!
i dont see any way to get miles quickly as i have never flown them-but have just joined the miles programme..

one other question -when you book flights for 2 people-if thepnr is separated does it come up as 2 separate charges on credit card or all as one?

FSF Sep 2, 2018 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by bryanwallace (Post 30160286)
i dont see any way to get miles quickly as i have never flown them-but have just joined the miles programme..

one other question -when you book flights for 2 people-if thepnr is separated does it come up as 2 separate charges on credit card or all as one?

As for getting miles quickly, if you're interested, you can sign up for a Chase Southwest card and you get a bonus of 25K-60K if you spend usually $2,000-$3,000 within 90 days of card issuance.

There is a $69 or a $99 annual fee (which comes with an annual gift of 3,000/6,000 points). But many here usually cancel when the one year is up (often after the annual points are awarded). I would not bother signing up for any less than 50K points on the upfront promotion part.

NoStressHere Sep 3, 2018 7:02 am

...one other question -when you book flights for 2 people-if thepnr is separated does it come up as 2 separate charges on credit card or all as one?

If both are one "booking", then it will only ask for one payment, and therefore one charge.

If you book one ticket and pay, then you book another any pay...well.... that is two payments and therefore two charges.

glg Sep 3, 2018 9:07 am

If you have a Chase Sapphire card or some of the business cards, you can transfer UR points into Southwest

EAJuggalo Sep 3, 2018 10:58 am

I converted some of my Chase Sapphire Preferred sign up bonus points to Southwest then used that to fly to Orlando last year. First time flying Southwest and I didn't pay any cash.

bryanwallace Sep 4, 2018 11:49 pm

thanks all-sorry for not making clear-i amnot us based so dont have access to the credit card mile candy jar that everyone else seems to enjoy..!