Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn up to 10k points per night on hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Lightbulb Earn up to 10k points per night on hotels

I just got this email today. Ten thousand points per night is a good deal if the price of the room is under $100 in my opinion. I have been on the the site looking for that 10k point room and have only been able to find a couple that offered 3k points for a $250 room. I would like to ask the community to post any 10k point rooms you find through this promotion. Or any room that will award points at a 50:1 ratio or better. The destination I'm most interested in is Colorado but I'm definitely open to others. And it would benefit the rest of the community to post all of the locations that have a high point/dollar spent ratio from this promotion.

Thanks for your help and happy hunting
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:39 am

I booked a room in Boston during this promotion. I paid around $700 to earn 10,000 points. I could have paid less but the 10,000 points seemed like a good idea for me.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by youranut
I just got this email today. Ten thousand points per night is a good deal if the price of the room is under $100 in my opinion. I have been on the the site looking for that 10k point room and have only been able to find a couple that offered 3k points for a $250 room. I would like to ask the community to post any 10k point rooms you find through this promotion. Or any room that will award points at a 50:1 ratio or better. The destination I'm most interested in is Colorado but I'm definitely open to others. And it would benefit the rest of the community to post all of the locations that have a high point/dollar spent ratio from this promotion.

Thanks for your help and happy hunting
Not gonna happen. This has been around for quite a while and IMO is a poor way to earn points; there is a fee built into the booking engine that makes these rates higher than those available elsewhere.
swaluvr and youranut like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I stopped booking hotels on the Southwest site when they switched to this new system, what, a couple years ago now I think.

Typically, I only see the high-earnings-rate (say, 1000 points or more) on the very most expensive properties listed. The lesser ones are only one point per dollar. Ain't no way I'm paying $250 or $300 or more a night just for the points; instead I now book via the hotel's website and I still earn my 600 Southwest points just like I did under the old system. Even for a cheap room. This assumes of course that I have already set my Profile on the hotel's website to "earn partner airline miles" instead of hotel points.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Every time I get one of these sweet-looking Rocketmiles (or similar) deals, I always go take a look and play around with some scenarios. I occasionally have stays at the midrange brands where forgoing hotel elite status benefits is tolerable, so I figure these would be good targets for a 5k/10k/whatever deal.

Unfortunately, it never works out. Once you start doing side-by-side rate comparisons, you always pay more for the miles than they're worth. Eventually you're down to the point where you're doing the math on $7 rate differentials to earn 500 miles at a Super 8 and you stop and think "wait, why am I looking at a freaking Super 8?!?"

Then you go back to Hilton.com and book the HGI using your best available rate codes and forget about Rocketmiles until the next juicy email arrives a couple months later.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by pinniped
... and you stop and think "wait, why am I looking at a freaking Super 8?!?"
I'd be the guy staying at Super 8. But if it costs $79, I want to earn my full 600 points, like I would have with the old system, not 79 points like with the new system.

Actually, I think Super 8 is no longer a Southwest earnings partner, but I might be wrong about that; I'd have to check. It may have changed with the new system however.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:57 pm

I earned a 11,000 bonus staying at Best Western Kelly in Omaha for four nights. It was for a work trip and the nightly rate was below what they usually pay for the nicer hotels people usually stay at. The place ended up being really nice with a great breakfast and pool area.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shellmisi
I earned a 11,000 bonus staying at Best Western Kelly in Omaha for four nights. It was for a work trip and the nightly rate was below what they usually pay for the nicer hotels people usually stay at. The place ended up being really nice with a great breakfast and pool area.
I'm assuming that the 11k was not per night but for the total 4 nights?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:41 pm

I just booked 2 separate stays (4 nights total). The rates were about the same as when I went to the Marriott site, and I will earn 11k on one stay and 8k on the other. Not sure what the downside is if you don't book a more expensive place than you would normally, or if you don't pay way more for the same room as you can get via the chain's site?

I assume you cannot earn loyalty points with the hotel chain?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:56 pm

We've used it pretty successfully. Above and beyond the bonus for the hotel booking, it lets you buy an extra 2k points a night (sometimes 4k points a night, can't tell when or why...) for 1.9c each.

We stayed several nights in Orlando - single night bookings each time - for about $600, and earned 20k points. I don't think an overall cost of 2c a point is out there, but it's certainly attainable if you value the hotel stay. We plan to earn another 18k points that way in the next couple of months.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by synergistic
We've used it pretty successfully. Above and beyond the bonus for the hotel booking, it lets you buy an extra 2k points a night (sometimes 4k points a night, can't tell when or why...) for 1.9c each.

We stayed several nights in Orlando - single night bookings each time - for about $600, and earned 20k points. I don't think an overall cost of 2c a point is out there, but it's certainly attainable if you value the hotel stay. We plan to earn another 18k points that way in the next couple of months.
Since when are SW points worth 1.9 cents?

The math does not work unless I am doing something wrong.

I just did some double checking and points to cash are between 1.4 and 1.6 cents
jmw likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Since when are SW points worth 1.9 cents
When you need points to post quickly to earn the companion pass?

It's really not all that different from someone taking a cheap flight to anywhere at the end of the year just to earn the points.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:08 am

Yep, worth it if you need the CP points. I bought the extra points because I want to get CP before summer, as we have many trips planned.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Since when are SW points worth 1.9 cents?

The math does not work unless I am doing something wrong.

I just did some double checking and points to cash are between 1.4 and 1.6 cents
Check the math on a cheap fare like $39.

Unless they changed it (I have not looked in months), you can get over 2 cents.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

Check the math on a cheap fare like $39.

Unless they changed it (I have not looked in months), you can get over 2 cents.

On the cheaper fares, it does get much closer. Not quite sure how that works out, but you are right.

Just looked at some $45 tickets from LAX to LAS. Points are 2,227 which come to 2.02 cents.

But - don't you just hate the buts..... there is the $5.60 "let us make you feel good tax" that is added to points purchase, but included in cash purchase.

So, that $45 ticket is really $39.40 base fare which changes it to 1.76 cents per point.

On higher price tickets, it has way less impact.

(please let me know if I got my numbers wrong)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.