Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Change from award flight to cash: Can I keep EBCI?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is no, but I'm hoping to save $15. I want to pay money for a flight which I originally booked on points, and already paid for EBCI. Is my only option to cancel the original flight and rebook? Or if I call in, could an agent help me keep the original record and related EBCI?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:38 am

Not directly. Perhaps if you call they can manipulate the reservation for you, but I suspect your thinking is correct that it can't be done.

What you can do is rebook your points itinerary for a different flight far out in the future, as a "placeholder." This will retain EBCI until you need to book another points flight, to which it will be applied.

Then make the cash booking as normal.
cmx likes this.

Last edited by ftnoob; Aug 16, 2018 at 11:33 am Reason: fix typo
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:35 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ursine1
What you can do is rebook your points itinerary for a different flight far out in the future, as a "placeholder." This will retain EBCI until you need to book another points flight, to which it will be applied.
I have used this trick with a cash booking. It works.
ursine1 likes this.

Last edited by ftnoob; Aug 16, 2018 at 11:34 am Reason: Conforming edit
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:45 pm

The trick works great. FYI: It doesn't get you an EBCI position that is lower than normally possible, however (in case anyone's wondering). For chronological ranking purposes, the "date" of the EBCI purchase becomes the date it's applied to the new booking.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Thanks for the great tip - I'm sure I will use it in the future for myself or a family member.

For this trip, however, I apparently wasn't thinking it through when I asked the question. The reason I wanted to pay for this flight instead of using points is that after I booked it I decided to register for the A-list status match. If I have A-list, then I don't need the EBCI. Since I should be able to complete the challenge to keep A-list for at least 12 months, I don't want to track this for more than a year - it's only $15! So I just got the points flight refunded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.