Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to emotional support animal policies effective 9/17/18

Changes to emotional support animal policies effective 9/17/18

Old Aug 19, 18, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
You'll say that 'till one of 'em nuts up on your flight Greyhound and Amtrak go pretty much everywhere.
​​​​​​??? Greyhound doesn't allow animals in or under the bus, and Amtrak only allows animals in coach for ~ eight hours at a stretch. A trip from Florida to Colorado would have taken a minimum of ten days, and we would not have been able to make use of sleeper cars even if we were lucky enough to find availability for our legs on the exact sequence of days we required.

I'm just not sure what you're suggesting rather than them just staying home...
Old Aug 19, 18, 3:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Originally Posted by synergistic View Post
​​​​​​Greyhound ... and Amtrak [don't really care for these animals either]
Wait- these people can't even take land-based transport either without freaking out?! Yeah, maybe "stay home" is the right thing for them to do.
Old Aug 19, 18, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
Even as a naturally cynical and skeptical person, I can't go through life automatically assuming that every person I see with an animal is scamming the system. Absent some evidence to the contrary, I have to assume that dogs with those handles are actually working dogs trained to perform specific tasks required by a disability. I can be skeptical about a chihuahuas or pomeranian being carried into a supermarket in a woman's purse, and obviously any animal other than a dog or miniature horse. But those with the handles, or those with the vests that say "Don't pet me, I'm a working dog", I will assume they are Service Animals and not scammers unless I see something to make me suspect otherwise.
The various Internet "registries" do their best to confuse ESAs and Service Animals. They sell vests and other accessories for the animals that mimic the vests used by Service Animals. There is no standard or requirement for these things. Not all legitimate Service Animals require any special equipment like the handles for seeing eye dogs, which are designed to communicate signals to the person the dog is guiding. My original point was that liers are going to continue to lie.
Old Aug 20, 18, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
Wait- these people can't even take land-based transport either without freaking out?! Yeah, maybe "stay home" is the right thing for them to do.
It's not necessarily for just the transport stage, they may need the animal on the other end. It's not your call, or mine, that's supposed to be assessed by a legit doctor.

I have zero problems with a registry, or lots of hoops to jump through - I don't like the abuse either. But if there aren't ways to safely transport pets, there really need to be ways to safely transport legit ESAs. In my book Southwest's pet policy is plenty reasonable, so they can restrict ESAs as much as they like without complaint from me.
Old Aug 21, 18, 10:02 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
The various Internet "registries" do their best to confuse ESAs and Service Animals. They sell vests and other accessories for the animals that mimic the vests used by Service Animals. There is no standard or requirement for these things. Not all legitimate Service Animals require any special equipment like the handles for seeing eye dogs, which are designed to communicate signals to the person the dog is guiding. My original point was that liers are going to continue to lie.
True enough, many Service Animals require no equipment at all (though they are required under ADA to be leashed or restrained, unless that restraint interferes with the performance of their duties).

But it's usually easy to tell a trained Service Animal from a pet. Service Animals are calm and quiet, but alert and attentive. They're not distracted easily and rarely if ever misbehave. But you can also tell by the behavior of their human companion - humans with SAs don't show a lot of demonstrative affection toward the animal in public, don't speak to the animal in baby talk, never feed the animal human food, and don't allow anyone else to interact with the animal (all of these things would distract the animal from its duties).

I want to see disabled people get all of the help they need to live their lives as they choose. I want to see those with mental illnesses get the help they need, as well, including ESAs. But the current legal situation is both incomplete and not well understood by the general public. The laws need to be amended to require licensing of Service Animals. Such a license is all that anyone ever need show to a business to gain access for the animal. And the license need not have any details about the human's condition, or even the animal's trained task, it only needs to show that a particular animal is a trained service animal. If the law were extended to allow ESAs to be SAs as well, that would be acceptable to me, so long as ESAs receive the same training and conditioning that other SAs get.

If an animal were licensed, it would be a SA that must be accommodated by law. If an animal were not licensed, it would not be a SA and businesses could apply the same rules to them as apply to ordinary pets. No confusion, no paranoia, no jerks acting as self-appointed Service Animal Police, and no backlash on those with real needs who follow the rules.
Webogirl likes this.
Old Aug 22, 18, 1:44 pm

ESAs also need to be registered based on a certification, under penalty of perjury, since the ACAA and the Fair Housing acts require airlines and landlords to accommodate them without cost.
Old Sep 28, 18, 6:38 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
Pets should not be allowed on flights period. It’s not fair to other passengers on the plane and it’s not fair to the pet. Leave your pet at home. Unless there is a legitimate medical reason to have an animal on the plane (like a seeing eye dog) there is no legitimate reason to have a pet on the plane. Society has become almost too accommodating in unusual requests.
dlaue and fotographer like this.
Old Sep 28, 18, 7:12 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
We are not allowed to even have a small purse over our shoulder or have a computer in the front pocket for "safety reasons". Although I have sympathy for people who require service animals, the safety of the rest of the passengers should be considered. If this is a real photo, and I always wonder, is the lady by the window at risk? Is she part of the reservation? What about if she needs to get up to use the restroom? Very large animals that block the feet of the person next to person with the service animal are problems. Should the people with very large service animals such as big dogs or small horses be required to reserve the whole row. Maybe ADA will prevent the airlines from charging the person for the whole row so that is a form of accommodation.

Last edited by loridf; Sep 28, 18 at 7:35 am Reason: missed a word
Old Sep 28, 18, 8:44 am

Programs: TK Gold
As long as you can fit your miniature horse under the seat in front of you and your seat NEIGHbor doesn’t mind I fail to see the problem. (Sorry.)
Old Sep 28, 18, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Anyone know the resolution of that DL case where the guy got his face chewed off by an “emotional support” dog?
Old Sep 28, 18, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by loridf View Post
We are not allowed to even have a small purse over our shoulder or have a computer in the front pocket for "safety reasons".
This would seem more relevant for complaining about a kid under 2 permitted to sit on someone's lap.
Old Sep 28, 18, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole View Post
This would seem more relevant for complaining about a kid under 2 permitted to sit on someone's lap.

In case you're unaware: The FAA allows lap children because if parents had to pay for a seat for their children under age 2 they may choose to travel by car instead of plane, and car travel is much more dangerous than air travel.

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_relea...ontentKey=1966

Search this Thread
Search Engine: