FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   mobile boarding pass QR code changed between check-in and flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1923807-mobile-boarding-pass-qr-code-changed-between-check-flight.html)

UALOneKPlus Aug 6, 2018 12:41 pm

mobile boarding pass QR code changed between check-in and flight?

I had a flight recently where I took a screenshot of the mobile boarding pass the night before the flight. The next day there were some gate changes, nothing major. When I tried to board the screenshot of the QR code didn't work, and I had to generate a new boarding pass at the gate to board. I compared the old vs new boarding pass and noticed that the QR code had changed slightly.

Anyone have any insight into this?

lougord99 Aug 6, 2018 6:50 pm

I don't understand why you take a screen shot of the QR code rather than simply present the QR code from the email, and I also do not understand how you know it has slightly changed.

PAX62 Aug 6, 2018 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99 (Post 30055157)
I don't understand why you take a screen shot of the QR code rather than simply present the QR code from the email,.

I take screen shots all the time...that is digital backup 101. There are a zillion reasons...email does not connect, Apple Wallet closes too soon, sync issues with opening App...the glitches always seem to happen right when you need it most where you can easily recall a saved screenshot and keep it open on your device to scan.

Heck, I even had one flight where we were delayed significantly but the "system" did not update so the app presumed everyone boarded. Once we actually boarded anyone that was trying to use the mobile app no longer could recall the boarding pass and had to go to the counter to get a paper boarding pass as everyone else was walking on. It was a cluster...meanwhile my screenshot saved in photos scanned me right in.

ursine1 Aug 7, 2018 11:19 am

On Android, the Southwest app now saves the mobile BP to Google Pay. But I always still take a screenshot for backup. I wonder if the saved BP would have updated automatically when the change occurred?

It's pretty easy to compare two QR codes to see if they are identical or not.

jeffandnicole Aug 8, 2018 6:30 am

I don't understand why you take a screen shot of the QR code rather than simply present the QR code from the email, and I also do not understand how you know it has slightly changed.

I take screen shots all the time for sporting events - I'm not risking trying to log in or get on the internet when there's thousands of other people doing the same. I log on a few days ahead of time, take screen shots of the QR/bar codes, and send them to whoever I'm going to the game with as a double backup.

All you have to do is look at the code and you can see it changed. It's pretty obvious.

willyt25 Aug 8, 2018 11:21 am

Just a thought, but I know when you reprint a paper boarding pass it adds an "R" to the record. I wonder if the QR code changes as well to add this notice the the boarding pass was regenerated?

UALOneKPlus Aug 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by willyt25 (Post 30061463)
Just a thought, but I know when you reprint a paper boarding pass it adds an "R" to the record. I wonder if the QR code changes as well to add this notice the the boarding pass was regenerated?

I don't think so. I've reprinted paper boarding passes, and the mobile QR code did not change. In my case, the gate changed twice, and somehow the QR code changed. So it may be related to the gate change.

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole (Post 30060457)
I take screen shots all the time for sporting events - I'm not risking trying to log in or get on the internet when there's thousands of other people doing the same. I log on a few days ahead of time, take screen shots of the QR/bar codes, and send them to whoever I'm going to the game with as a double backup.

All you have to do is look at the code and you can see it changed. It's pretty obvious.

Exactly. It boggles the mind to not have a screenshot back up, for expensive events where it is critical to have the info on hand.

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 30057650)
On Android, the Southwest app now saves the mobile BP to Google Pay. But I always still take a screenshot for backup. I wonder if the saved BP would have updated automatically when the change occurred?

It's pretty easy to compare two QR codes to see if they are identical or not.

I wonder about that too. Same thing with Apple Wallet - does the QR code update from the airline or not?

Originally Posted by PAX62 (Post 30055360)
I take screen shots all the time...that is digital backup 101. There are a zillion reasons...email does not connect, Apple Wallet closes too soon, sync issues with opening App...the glitches always seem to happen right when you need it most where you can easily recall a saved screenshot and keep it open on your device to scan.

Heck, I even had one flight where we were delayed significantly but the "system" did not update so the app presumed everyone boarded. Once we actually boarded anyone that was trying to use the mobile app no longer could recall the boarding pass and had to go to the counter to get a paper boarding pass as everyone else was walking on. It was a cluster...meanwhile my screenshot saved in photos scanned me right in.

Exactly. I've seen the WN app bog down, error out, and the boarding passes disappear after the boarding time is over. It takes very little effort to have a screenshot and have it for quick presentation when needed. It never occurred to me that one would not have a photo back up of this critical information.

synk Aug 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Did you save both of the qr codes for diagnosis? A qr code is just 2d binary encoding of text. It's likely that the text changed. You could decode it with several web/mobile apps to figure out the difference.

t325 Aug 13, 2018 10:01 pm

The last client I was doing work for required a boarding pass (screenshots of a mobile BP were acceptable) attached to the expense report to get reimbursed for flights - because apparently a hotel receipt, a rental car receipt, meal receipts, or my presence on site for an entire week wasn't enough to prove I actually flew the flights I said I did. But those screenshots saved my arse a time or two when I didn't have cell service or the SW app malfunctioned at the gate and needed my BP to scan.

EdofFX Aug 23, 2018 6:15 am

I printed a paper boarding pass when I arrived at the airport last week, even though I already have a boarding pass in my mobile app. The flight was delayed for an hour and half, during which time the boarding pass disappeared from my app. I couldn't even find my reservation for that flight in the app. It only showed my return flight as my next reservation.

Good thing I printed a paper boarding pass, but I also wonder whether that caused the mobile boarding pass to disappear from my app.

ursine1 Aug 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by EdofFX (Post 30119335)
I printed a paper boarding pass when I arrived at the airport last week, even though I already have a boarding pass in my mobile app. The flight was delayed for an hour and half, during which time the boarding pass disappeared from my app. I couldn't even find my reservation for that flight in the app. It only showed my return flight as my next reservation.

Good thing I printed a paper boarding pass, but I also wonder whether that caused the mobile boarding pass to disappear from my app.

The app doesn't actually save your boarding pass -- it just pulls it down when you request it. Then you need to save it to your phone, using the "Add to Apple Wallet" or "Save to Phone" button. If you try to pull down the BP when it's no longer available (or if you no longer have signal) you won't be able to access it unless you've saved it to your phone.

There's a well known app/system issue that causes mobile BPs to become unavailable when a flight is delayed and you've passed the scheduled boarding time.

Always save your mobile BP to your phone.

EdofFX Aug 24, 2018 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 30120945)
The app doesn't actually save your boarding pass -- it just pulls it down when you request it. Then you need to save it to your phone, using the "Add to Apple Wallet" or "Save to Phone" button. If you try to pull down the BP when it's no longer available (or if you no longer have signal) you won't be able to access it unless you've saved it to your phone.

There's a well known app/system issue that causes mobile BPs to become unavailable when a flight is delayed and you've passed the scheduled boarding time.

Always save your mobile BP to your phone.

Thanks. I didn't know that. Will do next time.