Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Some Rudimentary Questions on A List Benefits...

Old Aug 4, 18, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

New to A-List, and some basic questions:

1. Standby - on a given day, even if I have the lowest fare on a late flight, I can standby for any earlier flight (identical route, of course), regardless of price difference?
2. When boarding on standby, A-List boards after the A Group, but before the family boarding/B Group? Every WN GA will familiar with this, and all I have to do is show my A-List Boarding Pass?

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 18, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
New to A-List, and some basic questions:

1. Standby - on a given day, even if I have the lowest fare on a late flight, I can standby for any earlier flight (identical route, of course), regardless of price difference?
2. When boarding on standby, A-List boards after the A Group, but before the family boarding/B Group? Every WN GA will familiar with this, and all I have to do is show my A-List Boarding Pass?

Thanks!
My past experience is,
I have booked late flights and flown standby on earlier flights that cost more. But I have also waitlisted for flights that were full and had to stay until my original flight was available.
A list is supposed to board after A's but before families. Sometimes the GA will announce, sometimes not. Just line up after the A's and make sure you have docs to support your A status.
Old Aug 4, 18, 3:57 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
1. Yes! Though as @wetsand mentioned, I too have also waitlisted for flights that were full and ended up on my original flight. (I believe others have also had success doing standby on different routings, but same origin and destination; or flying into a co-terminal airport. I've never tried this though, so YMMV).

2. It depends on when you clear onto the standby flight. A few times on full flights, I had to wait until everyone boarded and wait for the GA to check for no-shows, and then I'd get one of the last seats on board.
Generally though, I've cleared pretty fast, often as soon as I ask about standby, and the GA gave me a new boarding pass right away for the earlier flight. If you already have a boarding pass for the new flight by the time boarding starts, then, yes the A-List boards after the A group (and before family boarding). Your boarding pass will say A-list on it. I'd stand somewhere near the family boarding area and wait for the GA A-list announcement. (Out in California where I mostly fly, I think I've always heard the GAs explicitly call for A List boarding after the A group; though others who fly in other area have suggested that at some airports, the GA may not always announce).
Old Aug 4, 18, 8:32 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Yes...one of the A-lIst perks is that you get to board after A60 if you wind up with a B or C due to last minute changes. The GA should call for A-Listers. If already boarding B or C you can walk up to front of line and politely merge into line.

On standby as other said...if there are plenty of seats open they will clear you and issue you a barding pass, If it is a case of waiting to see who no shows, you may not get the BP until after all others have boarded and they enact the 10 min no show rule to release standby seats leaving you with the last middle seat on the plane.
Old Aug 5, 18, 11:55 am

When I have a B or C boarding position I quietly fall in behind A-60 and simply board. If questioned (which happens occasionally) I simply say "A-list", I've never been stopped. There are people here who say you must wait until A-List is called, but I've observed boarding of many flights where that never happens but that could be because the OA knew there are no A-Listers left. I believe the official wording (which with Southwest is often less that precise) says A-List can board "following" the A Group and family boarding is "between" the A and B groups. There are also reports occasionally of an OA stopping an A-Lister from boarding until they were called.
Old Aug 7, 18, 5:33 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Not only can you stand by on any earlier flight, you can change the routing! Just this past weekend I booked a ticket with points to Austin through dallas bc it was cheaper and stood by and got on the earlier, non stop flight! So long as the origin and final destination are the same, you can play around with the routing.
roundtree likes this.
Old Oct 9, 18, 9:42 am
Original Member

So my question is slightly different. Can A-list with companion change co-terminals on day of travel? Say I'm flying in/out of BUR but want to fly home out of LAX on same day I was flying home out of BUR.

I was thinking of taking a smaller trip inside my original trip but don't want to drive LAX to BUR only to fly home. I'd rather fly home out of LAX. Is this risky, changing co-terminals and with a companion?
Old Oct 9, 18, 10:21 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
A-list standby *to* a co-terminal city is allowed, but not *from* a co-terminal city. That's the policy. If you show up at the co-terminal city and ask, I'd give you good odds on being accommodated despite the policy.
Old Oct 9, 18, 2:12 pm

The "with a companion" part would be the biggest risk.
figment7 likes this.

Last edited by ursine1; Oct 9, 18 at 2:45 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 9, 18, 2:40 pm

I have had it both ways trying to standby with companion, I have done it successfully probably about 6-8 times only 1 was I told my companion had to stay on original flight and that was ATL station.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: