FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Guy says WN delayed him 8 times, making his trip from MSY to CMH take about 2 days (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1922255-guy-says-wn-delayed-him-8-times-making-his-trip-msy-cmh-take-about-2-days.html)

toomanybooks Jul 28, 2018 11:03 am

Guy says WN delayed him 8 times, making his trip from MSY to CMH take about 2 days

joshua362 Jul 28, 2018 11:34 am

I quickly gave up trying to follow, shades of an internet drama queen seeking attention immediately came to mind.

ursine1 Jul 29, 2018 3:04 pm

Meh. I've had IROPS situations take more than 2 days to get me home. More than once. Seasoned travelers know better then to hang around the airport all day when things start looking bad.

OzzyOzzie Jul 29, 2018 8:12 pm

Approximately 6am: @IamKerm arrives at the airport and realizes that he will probably miss his 8.25am flight because of the long linesAround 8am: The man and a friend make it to their gate, only to be told that they missed their flight. An agent changes their flights for 6pm the next day

==========================
So what does he mean by "Around 8am"?. If the flight leaves at 8:25 how can he have missed it by getting to the gate "Around 8 AM" unless "around 8 AM " is 8:15 - 8:30.

Next time do not miss your flight and problem solved.

pinniped Aug 1, 2018 11:06 am

Must be a slow news day. That's a lot of Internet drama that can be summed up with "don't miss your flight."

We can armchair quarterback a bunch of things this guy did, but it all really starts with not missing your flight.

rsteinmetz70112 Aug 1, 2018 3:27 pm

Seems like the guy would have been better off if he hadn't tried to take matters into his own hands and travel to 3 different airports.

pinniped Aug 1, 2018 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 (Post 30036914)
Seems like the guy would have been better off if he hadn't tried to take matters into his own hands and travel to 3 different airports.

LOL. If your IRROPS story involves taking a megabus between two airports that are both farther away from your destination than the airport at which you started, you *probably* did something wrong.

jeffandnicole Aug 2, 2018 6:59 am

Here's the main issue about the story: It's a dailymail dot co dot uk story. They are basically a National Enquirer-type tabloid that, while there's a little truth in the article it's usually a greatly exaggerated story. As in the case this time, some unimportant antidotes are rewritten 3 or 4 times for dramatic effect.

They once had a story in the winter about the entire US Interstate Highway system being shut down due to snow. It turned out it was a portion of 2 interstate highways in Kentucky where a snowstorm was passing thru.

pinniped Aug 2, 2018 9:34 am

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole (Post 30038893)
They once had a story in the winter about the entire US Interstate Highway system being shut down due to snow. It turned out it was a portion of 2 interstate highways in Kentucky where a snowstorm was passing thru.

LOL...now I want to go find that article.

Hopefully it's complete with a 'shopped photo of a San Diego blizzard.

ehallison Aug 2, 2018 3:52 pm

For those of you who are putting some/all of the blame for this debacle on the passenger, what could he have done differently? I'm taking his word at face value that he got in the bag check line more than 2 hours before his flight time. That seems reasonable for a domestic flight! Then when the airline tells him the fastest way they can get him home is by transiting an airport farther south and east than he needs to go...it still seems reasonable for him to go along with that. What should he have done instead? Of course, in hindsight, he should have immediately rented a car and driven home - he'd have arrived much faster! But he really could not have known in advance about the travel delays he was about to experience.

pinniped Aug 3, 2018 9:01 am

Originally Posted by ehallison (Post 30041108)
For those of you who are putting some/all of the blame for this debacle on the passenger, what could he have done differently? I'm taking his word at face value that he got in the bag check line more than 2 hours before his flight time. That seems reasonable for a domestic flight! Then when the airline tells him the fastest way they can get him home is by transiting an airport farther south and east than he needs to go...it still seems reasonable for him to go along with that. What should he have done instead? Of course, in hindsight, he should have immediately rented a car and driven home - he'd have arrived much faster! But he really could not have known in advance about the travel delays he was about to experience.

When I've encountered a huge queue for check-in, I've typically gone back outside and used a skycap. I don't know if this is an option for MSY or not, but being a big WN station it seems like it should be (??).

This is admittedly kind of rare - the only time I'm in a bag-check queue is when I have golf clubs with me - but it's easily worth a couple bucks' tip to get out of the queue.

All of the timing seems unclear. I'm not convinced the passenger entered the line two hours in advance. It sounds like he *may* have entered the line at 8AM.

Manual bag tagging isn't terribly unusual on Southwest, is it? It's been a couple years since my last golf tip on WN but I seem to recall manual tags existing as part of normal procedure not too long ago.

rsteinmetz70112 Aug 3, 2018 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 30043462)
When I've encountered a huge queue for check-in, I've typically gone back outside and used a skycap. I don't know if this is an option for MSY or not, but being a big WN station it seems like it should be (??).

It is availible.