Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Midway chicago

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: LTP, PP
FWIW, MDW was a dump, like the basement of train station, when I started transferring there twice a week in 1999. Then it had an amazing transformation and lots of good to great & varied food options to kill 2+ hours pleasantly twice a week, I ate in everyone multiple times except McDonald's.

It was a huge success despite its "small" size.

Eat those apples

Not anymore...
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362
FWIW, MDW was a dump, like the basement of train station, when I started transferring there twice a week in 1999. Then it had an amazing transformation and lots of good to great & varied food options to kill 2+ hours pleasantly twice a week, I ate in everyone multiple times except McDonald's.

It was a huge success despite its "small" size.

Eat those apples

Not anymore...
I first used MDW in 1994. The thing people must realize is that when originally designed, it was intended for use by 2,000,000 people a year. By the time the new MDW was built, it was up to 17,000,000 or something.

Completely bursting at the seams.

Wikipedia has a decent overview of MDW.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I first used MDW in 1994. The thing people must realize is that when originally designed, it was intended for use by 2,000,000 people a year. By the time the new MDW was built, it was up to 17,000,000 or something.

Completely bursting at the seams.

Wikipedia has a decent overview of MDW.
Absolutely. The 6 or so gates at the end of the B terminal is their own version of SAN's circle of hell at peak times. And the handful of times I actually O & D'd there were no picnic with TSA and baggage claim. But it was one of my favorite airports to transfer through, from 1999-2012 I had easy one stop access to anywhere in WN's network.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I first used MDW in 1994. The thing people must realize is that when originally designed, it was intended for use by 2,000,000 people a year.
Probably about the same for me, too, except for one roundtrip on Midway Airlines in 1990. By the mid-90s though I was a convert and haven't been back to O'Hare since. I was able to sample the services of Western Pacific and ATA a few times too, so lucky me I suppose. Crazy to think of the variety there for awhile and it hasn't even been that many years!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:45 am

The thing people must realize is that when originally designed, it was intended for use by 2,000,000 people a year. By the time the new MDW was built, it was up to 17,000,000 or something.
A 900,000 sq ft terminal handling 20 million people a year is a trade-off. With 1 million sq ft, the new MCI readies to handle half the traffic. But I'm more concerned with runway length and delays than lounges.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I've only been to MDW one time, and it wasn't on Southwest, it was on ATA, from PIE to FNT. During the layover I was annoyed by the constant repetition of the announcement "be careful of the end of the moving sidewalk" (something to that effect). I don't remember anything about the food options.

I've changed planes at ORD on UA and AA many times and that airport just sucks.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I've only been to MDW one time, and it wasn't on Southwest, it was on ATA, from PIE to FNT. During the layover I was annoyed by the constant repetition of the announcement "be careful of the end of the moving sidewalk" (something to that effect). I don't remember anything about the food options.

I've changed planes at ORD on UA and AA many times and that airport just sucks.
Caution: the moving walkway is ending.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdword
Caution: the moving walkway is ending.
Yes, that was it. Over and over and over. Torture
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Yes, that was it. Over and over and over. Torture
Every moving walkway everywhere has a similar announcement.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Putnik
Every moving walkway everywhere has a similar announcement.
I guess but maybe the problem there was that it was too loud and no place to get away from it.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:00 pm

Lived in Chicago suburbs most of my life. Midway is a terrible airport. I do everything possible to fly out of ORD instead - it's not too bad if you stick to early morning flights.

If I was the mayor of Chicago, I'd eminent domain the two square miles north of Midway, link highway 55 directly into a Midway parking lot, and open up tons of space for new terminals and runways. In particular, I'd relocate a lot of the non-gate terminal activities (lounges, baggage routing, etc) underground - would save some money on heating during our cold winter months.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by YOUR_FAVORITE_AUDITOR
Lived in Chicago suburbs most of my life. Midway is a terrible airport. I do everything possible to fly out of ORD instead - it's not too bad if you stick to early morning flights.

If I was the mayor of Chicago, I'd eminent domain the two square miles north of Midway, link highway 55 directly into a Midway parking lot, and open up tons of space for new terminals and runways. In particular, I'd relocate a lot of the non-gate terminal activities (lounges, baggage routing, etc) underground - would save some money on heating during our cold winter months.
Midway is a treasure. Much rather be there than ORD. And you obviously have no idea how eminent domain works, nor its implications on city planning. Good try, tho.
copperred likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar

If I was the mayor of Chicago, I'd eminent domain the two square miles north of Midway, link highway 55 directly into a Midway parking lot...
I dunno, I much prefer the surface-street approach to Midway Airport. I get off I-55 at Central, go south just a handful of blocks, make a left on 55th Street and then within a few more blocks I turn into the Economy Garage. Its like sneaking into the airport the back way! Super easy. There's a 7-11 and I think a Dunkin' Donuts at Central and Archer if I've forgotten anything or decide I need a cruller at the last minute.

Once in a great while Central will be blocked by a slow-moving freight train but I can just detour over to Cicero to get under it.

I think next time, I'll turn on Archer and try the new Fast Park garage recommended earlier in the thread. Same super-easy access from the expressway.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
If I was the mayor of Chicago, I'd eminent domain the two square miles north of Midway, link highway 55 directly into a Midway parking lot, and open up tons of space for new terminals and runways.

If only there was a blueprint for how to do this....

Ahhhh, of course, a Daley already did it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/01/u...n-airport.html

copperred likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Midway is a treasure. Much rather be there than ORD.
Agreed. Never understood the dislike for MDW. Quick, easy, simple. Parking a breeze, especially third-party off-site, compared to ORD. Restaurants/pharmacy/gas stations/supermarkets right nearby if you need anything on the way in. If arriving by taxi/shuttle, you can be in the security line in 60 seconds at most. Orange Line downtown in 30 minutes or go anywhere in the system for $2.50.

Food sucks, though. And no lounges.
joshua362 and copperred like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.